2000 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
GTi 1.8 Fun Car to own
By Danan on 08/02/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

It is a very fun car to drive, I have had it for more than 8 years, and 145,000 miles, still on original clutch. Never take the car to dealers, always work with local VW mechanic. Maintenance is a little bit high, but it is worth it. I have changed the ECU to after market, the car goes 20% faster and save more gas.

Extremely Unreliable
By punky on 12/29/04 23:33 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I feel compelled to warn people about buying this car. Here's just a small list of the litany of things that went wrong with the car: both electric windows fell off their tracks (expen$ive to fix), the rear window's tube for wiper fluid broke and leaked all over the interior of the car, the catalytic converter malfunctioned (emissions and performance were screwed up), the hatch lock would not lock, the glove box broke--twice, the handles for the seats constantly fell off, the wiring was constantly malfunctioning, the taillights burned out every 3 months on average, brakes torn up, etc. And I'm leaving a lot off this list.

Poor reliability spoils GTI fun
By Laja Dare on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

While I enjoyed the performance, comfort and styling of my 2000 GTI, I cannot recommend this vehicle due to constant breakdowns. Reliability was very poor. The power window "retainer clip" broke three times, the glove box hinge broke twice (cheap plastic), and virtually every exterior bulb on the car burned out within 24 months. A valve blew in the engine, the clutch went out at 40K (a thousand bucks to replace), the CD changer went on the blink and on and on and on. I spent countless hours in the service lobby regretting my purchase. Don't get taken in by the plush interior -- this is a cheaply built car. Have a look at the Impreza, RSX or Sentra...

Fun Little Car
By Orange VeeDub on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The car is a blast to drive and looks great. I'm just glad I got a warranty with mine, In the 6 months I've owned the car, it's been in the shop 5 times. I needed the Water Pump replaced, 3 different window problems, window switch, and a new Oxygen Sensor. When the car is running right, it drives like a dream and looks just like a brand new GTI.

Golf
By dk1706 on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I only had the car for a few days and I love the way it handles.

Great performance--Poor Reliability
By kathyf on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I've had this car for a few months, and I'm already planning to sell it. It's fast, cool, and fun to drive, BUT it's very unreliable. Here's a rundown of the problems I've had over the 5 months I've owned the car: the passenger-side window fell off its tracks completely, the hose to the back winshield wiper stopped working, sprang a leak and ruined the interior cloth panels covering the ceiling and side of the car, a seat handle keeps falling off, and the glove compartment hinge snapped. Of course, its warranty just expired. Grand total to have this fixed? $900-- ouch!

I love it!
By C. Barrett on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My GTI has been a delight to own; it drives like a dream, gets very good mileage, handles very well, and I have a very spacious cargo area. I can also get into parking spots SUV owners can only dream about. It is the perfect urban vehicle; I love it! My only complaint is that I had to replace the battery when the car was only 2 1/2 years old.

A step above the normal
By Steadi on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

There are economy cars, there are economy cars with sport, then there is the GTI 1.8T. This car is a step above the others in it's class. BMW fit and finish, quiet, smooth, and options you can't get on some of the competitors luxury cars, never mind their "economy" cars. Need relatively low budget transportation, but want to feel like you are riding in a higher class car, this is a SERIOUS car for you to consider. Do yourself a favor, spend the extra grand or two over the competitors cars in it's class. Or better yet, drive their under $21,000 cars, then drive a loaded GTI 1.8T.

GTI hard to beat in it's class!
By Colby on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Basically flawless. What a great little car with surprising amount of room. Amazes others with it's quality feel and performance. Like so many of the car mags have said, "feels like a car costing $10,000 more." and "rivals BMW for it's fit and finish." Embarrasses it's competition for safety, amenities, fit and finish, standard equipment, and the like. The VW GTI is simply hard to beat.