2000 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
215K plus miles
By mtcranium on 12/22/11 11:16 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Over 215k miles. I bought the car with 20K miles. Replaced two sets of spark plug wire/ignition coils (70K & 150K), clutch (170K), replaced various cooling connectors (180K), front brake rotors (180K), control arm bushings (210k). Now needs a water pump and thermostat. There are several interior items worn out. The cd changer has an electronic tick when hot. The center arm rest/console hinge broke, along with the stick shift console housing/ash tray wrap-around. Vanity mirror light is dead. Cigarette lighter is dead.

GTi 1.8 Fun Car to own
By Danan on 08/02/08 18:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

It is a very fun car to drive, I have had it for more than 8 years, and 145,000 miles, still on original clutch. Never take the car to dealers, always work with local VW mechanic. Maintenance is a little bit high, but it is worth it. I have changed the ECU to after market, the car goes 20% faster and save more gas.

Real Trooper
By jon on 07/31/08 20:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Wonderful little car. Quick, agile, and the sound of the VR6 engine is just beautiful. Pretty solid; I ran it into a ditch pretty hard, tow truck pulled it out and I kept on driving it, ran brilliantly. Even after 150,000 miles it still feels far more solid than my grandmother's Ford Focus. Feels just as good doing 130 as it does 25. Not a head turner, but hey, it's what's on the inside that counts.

Fun, But...
By slm409 on 03/12/07 13:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

The 2000 GTI is a great car in many respects. The finish is far beyond what one would expect from a car of this sticker price. And the drive is an absolute blast -- the high-end torque is awesome. I love the feeling of moving the car from 60 to 80 mph. However -- the maintenance kills you. I don't even have 40,000 miles on the car and I've easily paid in excess of $8,000 to maintain the car (and that is excluding oil-changes and the like). So, used-car buyers, beware. I've had to replace everything from the oil-pan to wheel-bearings to ignition coils. All in less than 40,000 miles and I car for the car, i.e., I'm not a crazy or aggressive driver.

Best Car I've Had
By Julie on 02/27/07 17:24 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I LOVE this car. If the new GTI offered 6-cyl., I'd get a brand new one. This car is so fast and so affordable. It has never left me on the side of the road, nor has it ever required ANY major repairs. I only have regular maintenance: oil, tire rot., wipers, tires, etc. I got a K&N air filter and it's even faster. I LOVE IT!

I Love My GTI!!
By Pejammin on 01/22/07 18:53 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I loved the heck out of this car. If it weren't so small and I didn't have a family now, I would keep it FOREVER. It has been so good to me. It handles really well and feels solid. All the bells and whistles made it really comfortable. The only downside: parts for VWs in general are super expensive. And the engine light comes on for the slightest problems. Oh, and the seats don't recline.

2000 VW GTI GLX VR6
By Sigh on 04/16/06 23:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This car is amazing, and I found a really good deal on it.. Mine is fully loaded with air conditioning, power sunroof, 6 CD player, power windows, cruise conrol, lether seats, you name it. It is unbelievably fun to drive and superfast! Of course, I have the standard version!

2000 GTI VR6
By sgooch70 on 11/06/05 22:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car to drive, the VR6 is a excellent. The backseats are almost worthless though. I have kids, so I am getting a larger car, however I am going to keep the GTI. I am going to keep it because when the back seats are folded down you would not believe the utility it has. I have used it to haul 6 full sized railroad ties, 1/2 a pallet of landscaping bricks (a 3/4 ton truck can only carry 1 full pallet), 4x8 peg boards, and I have two 80 lb. Labrador Retrieves - both can sleep comfortably in the back. I bought it with 60,000 miles, and I have put about $2,000 into it, and the used VW warranty has covered about $3,000 in repairs. The car has been solid since 80,000 miles. I have 91,000 on it now.

Extremely Unreliable
By punky on 12/29/04 23:33 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I feel compelled to warn people about buying this car. Here's just a small list of the litany of things that went wrong with the car: both electric windows fell off their tracks (expen$ive to fix), the rear window's tube for wiper fluid broke and leaked all over the interior of the car, the catalytic converter malfunctioned (emissions and performance were screwed up), the hatch lock would not lock, the glove box broke--twice, the handles for the seats constantly fell off, the wiring was constantly malfunctioning, the taillights burned out every 3 months on average, brakes torn up, etc. And I'm leaving a lot off this list.

Poor reliability spoils GTI fun
By Laja Dare on 08/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen GTI GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

While I enjoyed the performance, comfort and styling of my 2000 GTI, I cannot recommend this vehicle due to constant breakdowns. Reliability was very poor. The power window "retainer clip" broke three times, the glove box hinge broke twice (cheap plastic), and virtually every exterior bulb on the car burned out within 24 months. A valve blew in the engine, the clutch went out at 40K (a thousand bucks to replace), the CD changer went on the blink and on and on and on. I spent countless hours in the service lobby regretting my purchase. Don't get taken in by the plush interior -- this is a cheaply built car. Have a look at the Impreza, RSX or Sentra...