1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
no probs
By m j on 01/21/09 03:45 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

This car is a beast, I never had any problems like these other reviewers, the only problems I have ever had with this car is the with the catalytic converter, and the sunroof always gets stuck, but the sun roof has gotten stuck in every car I have ever scene with a sunroof. So that's not to go against the car. Back to the cat/converter, I had to replace that twice thus far to pass emissions inspections, its in a bad spot (very low to the ground) I find rust takes its toll faster then most other cars, and it is about 700 each time to fix /after labour (usd) other then that I love this, and will be getting another VW in the future.

9 years and counting
By 1999 VW on 02/17/08 08:25 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I had the window problems as well. Basically the regulators on the power windows were plastic. They put metal after market regulators in my car at 6 months and I have never had a problem since. Interior quality is very good. I have this car 9 years and seats look almost new. Dash still looks very good. Cup holders were a bad design and they broke on my car. I have had little issues through the years. Seems like a lot of plastic on this car. Water pump went after 3 years. The impellar on the water pump was plastic. Replaced with after market pump with metal impellar...and no problems. I have a manual transmission and still have original clutch with 121k miles. No engine issues.

Sorry VW....never again
By disappointed on 04/19/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

The car was great for the first 60,000 miles. At 80,000 the entire engine had to be replaced due to a valve malfunctioning. It was probally just a freak accident, nonetheless it shouldn't have happened to an 80,000 mile car. VW has numerous electrical and reliablity issues. And after reading the other reviews from past years, it seems we all had the same problems (window, cup holders, plastics in interior falling apart, and emmission problems). It's been to the shop more times then I can remember. I guess this was a bad year for GTI's.

Beware the 60,000 mark
By mermigkas on 11/16/04 22:02 PM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I have had the GTI 99 model for almost three years. THe worst part of owning this model is that after 60,000 miles the parts start falling apart...Broken cup holder,broken plastic parts from the seats, anythig plastic inside is slowly getting off position.......I estimated the cost of fixing all these problems and it is more than 1,000USD... Performance is great and fuel efficiency is there the cost of gas is good for the performance...Get it but know for good: After 60,000 miles it all falls apart......

1999.5 VW GTI
By wolfhouse on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Bought that car in July 1999. It has the 2.0L engine. I have had numerous problems with it (including starter, catalytic converter, gas pump, window regulators). Lately the car has been in the shop for a little more than 4 weeks. Not sure when (if?) it is going to come out of there. Fun to drive, but reliability is really disappointing.

darn windows
By stu from nj on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

i get this car 4 weeks ago and 2 weeks after i got it the check engine light went on. a week after that, the passenger side window feel in the door. and judging by these other reviews, this happens quite a bit. i love the style and interior, nice and roomy, but i'm afraid it's going to expensive to maintain. i plan on getting a repair manual and doing most of the work myself.

Not too good
By Usman Anis on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Not even close to what i expected reliability and build quality wise. check engine lignt has come on several times and now the ABs light as come on, both the front windows fell in and cost an arm and a leg to fix (over $600). not at all happy with VW, will likely never buy another VW or Audi.

never again....
By marebear on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

HATRED doesn't scratch the surface. I loved this car so much in the beginning, the handling-amazing, seats comfortable, car was stylish. I would leave it running in the hopes someone would steal the god forsaken thing. My window fell down into the door 3 times (once on the driver's side, twice on the passenger's), heavy transmission work done, passenger seat wouldn't latch down and I after I got it fixed, the driver's seat wouldn't latch down. Things inside the car just started falling off. Luckily someone T-boned it while it was parked and the car is a total loss.This car was nothing but a LEMON.

Sporty Junk
By Tim Cnnn on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I am the original owner of this GTI, and have had loads of problems with it. All windows (driver, passenger, sunroof) have broken at least once. The side windows have had to be repaired 14 times since I bought it. 14 times! I could tell there was going to be a problem when the car went into the shop on the 15th day I had it. It was in there for the next 53. I would advise anyone looking into buying this car to steer clear.

fun but unreliable
By vp on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

It's fun to drive and is thoughtfully designed. You can feel the quality build compared to other cars in it's class. However, my GTI has had numerous problems over the past three years. odometer replaced. A/C leaked into passenger side. replaced air intake/oxygen sensor(very expensive), which is related to it's problem with emission standard. windshield washers frequently clogged.