1999 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
nightmare on every street
By turningjapanese on 04/05/08 11:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

The prefect lemon--I even got it in yellow! Over 7 years of ownership I have averaged about $1000 per year in electrical repairs alone. It has broken down on the road six (yes, six) times. I'm counting the first flat time, because VW makes it impossible to remove the spare. The retaining nut for the spare is fused to its bolt with paint! Speaking of paint, mine is almost gone. The clearcoat began dissolving in patches at about 3 years old. The wheel wells fell off. At 83,000 miles it cannot pass NY inspection with two weeks of work done on it. This is the worst car there is.

Excellent Car
By Cory Saranchak on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

A very mean engine with enough tourque to sit you back in your seat. It has had a few quarks but cars always will so why fight it. It has been a stylish reliable car that I would reccomend to anyone looking to turn some heads and light up the streets.

GREAT CAR
By AX on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

This has been a great car no problems other than 1 window regulator. Problem w/ window regulator is a plastic piece (only one in the thing) that holds the piece together breaks. Easy fix, get it replaced w/ one that is all metal. Other than that it is a very fun car.

Happy original owner
By jaycjay on 06/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I've only had two problems with this car since buying it new. First on a routine maintenance visit to the dealer, they found that the shift linkage was loose and needed to be repaired before it failed. Second, like many others, the power window regulator failed on the passenger side (which is what causes the windows to drop into the doors). Owners and potential owners should know that VW has now acknowledged the problem with these and extended the warranty coverage on that item to seven years -- and have redesigned the regulator to correct the issue.

Lemon in cool car clothing
By Ed Boncich on 10/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Although i like the layout and performance of my 99 GTI, I have had reliability issues from liquid dripping from my interior rear view mirror to my fuel system leaking to my air conditioner requiring replacement. I have had the "check engine" light on my dah go on and off on a regular basis, and it seems every time I schedule a time to have it checked it goes off! I have contacted VW of America, and have gone back and forth to have them do something over the usual waranty and finally they will check out the car, but as soon as they do I'm sellin it!!!

Great Ride / Poor Electrical
By Rob Schaap on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Replacing every month / windows fall off track twice / poor tires on the car - highway tires, 16" Rims

Your windows WILL stop working.
By fiebke on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I've had this car for a year, and would love it if the power windows haven't ceased working THREE times and if I hadn't found someone waiting with me at the dealership while getting it fixed who had the same problem. It would bother me if VW would admit to the problem with the design and fix it. VW dealerships are the most arrogant I've ever dealt with.