Used 1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 (1999.5) Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

nightmare on every street
By turningjapanese

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

The prefect lemon--I even got it in yellow! Over 7 years of ownership I have averaged about $1000 per year in electrical repairs alone. It has broken down on the road six (yes, six) times. I'm counting the first flat time, because VW makes it impossible to remove the spare. The retaining nut for the spare is fused to its bolt with paint! Speaking of paint, mine is almost gone. The clearcoat began dissolving in patches at about 3 years old. The wheel wells fell off. At 83,000 miles it cannot pass NY inspection with two weeks of work done on it. This is the worst car there is.

Favorite Features

Handles fairly well, about like an Altima.

Suggested Improvements

Have some other company design and manufacture it.

Excellent Car
By Cory Saranchak

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

A very mean engine with enough tourque to sit you back in your seat. It has had a few quarks but cars always will so why fight it. It has been a stylish reliable car that I would reccomend to anyone looking to turn some heads and light up the streets.

GREAT CAR
By AX

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

This has been a great car no problems other than 1 window regulator. Problem w/ window regulator is a plastic piece (only one in the thing) that holds the piece together breaks. Easy fix, get it replaced w/ one that is all metal. Other than that it is a very fun car.

Favorite Features

VR6 engine, heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Window regulators should have been fixed a while back.

Happy original owner
By jaycjay

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I've only had two problems with this car since buying it new. First on a routine maintenance visit to the dealer, they found that the shift linkage was loose and needed to be repaired before it failed. Second, like many others, the power window regulator failed on the passenger side (which is what causes the windows to drop into the doors). Owners and potential owners should know that VW has now acknowledged the problem with these and extended the warranty coverage on that item to seven years -- and have redesigned the regulator to correct the issue.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, fun to drive, and plenty fast.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten the suspension a little, better stock tires.

Lemon in cool car clothing
By Ed Boncich

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Although i like the layout and performance of my 99 GTI, I have had reliability issues from liquid dripping from my interior rear view mirror to my fuel system leaking to my air conditioner requiring replacement. I have had the "check engine" light on my dah go on and off on a regular basis, and it seems every time I schedule a time to have it checked it goes off! I have contacted VW of America, and have gone back and forth to have them do something over the usual waranty and finally they will check out the car, but as soon as they do I'm sellin it!!!