Used 1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS (1999.5) Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

1999 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

no probs
By m j

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

This car is a beast, I never had any problems like these other reviewers, the only problems I have ever had with this car is the with the catalytic converter, and the sunroof always gets stuck, but the sun roof has gotten stuck in every car I have ever scene with a sunroof. So that's not to go against the car. Back to the cat/converter, I had to replace that twice thus far to pass emissions inspections, its in a bad spot (very low to the ground) I find rust takes its toll faster then most other cars, and it is about 700 each time to fix /after labour (usd) other then that I love this, and will be getting another VW in the future.

Favorite Features

Durability, never really had to replace anything besides the catalytic converter/ excluding routine repairs/normal maintenance. All engine parts have had a good life.

Suggested Improvements

I dont suggest much, wish id a got the v6 though.... I like to pretend I'm fast when driving this ; p

9 years and counting
By 1999 VW

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I had the window problems as well. Basically the regulators on the power windows were plastic. They put metal after market regulators in my car at 6 months and I have never had a problem since. Interior quality is very good. I have this car 9 years and seats look almost new. Dash still looks very good. Cup holders were a bad design and they broke on my car. I have had little issues through the years. Seems like a lot of plastic on this car. Water pump went after 3 years. The impellar on the water pump was plastic. Replaced with after market pump with metal impellar...and no problems. I have a manual transmission and still have original clutch with 121k miles. No engine issues.

Favorite Features

The driver seat has good adjustment ability (up/down as well as traditional). Instrument cluster was/is cool with the non traditional lighting.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic!

Sorry VW....never again
By disappointed

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

The car was great for the first 60,000 miles. At 80,000 the entire engine had to be replaced due to a valve malfunctioning. It was probally just a freak accident, nonetheless it shouldn't have happened to an 80,000 mile car. VW has numerous electrical and reliablity issues. And after reading the other reviews from past years, it seems we all had the same problems (window, cup holders, plastics in interior falling apart, and emmission problems). It's been to the shop more times then I can remember. I guess this was a bad year for GTI's.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, exterior styling, and good gas milege.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the interior, electrical components, and most importantly overall reliability.

Beware the 60,000 mark
By mermigkas

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

I have had the GTI 99 model for almost three years. THe worst part of owning this model is that after 60,000 miles the parts start falling apart...Broken cup holder,broken plastic parts from the seats, anythig plastic inside is slowly getting off position.......I estimated the cost of fixing all these problems and it is more than 1,000USD... Performance is great and fuel efficiency is there the cost of gas is good for the performance...Get it but know for good: After 60,000 miles it all falls apart......

Favorite Features

Engine is reliable

Suggested Improvements

Make inside better......Plastic parts keep falling off

1999.5 VW GTI
By wolfhouse

1999 Volkswagen GTI GLS 2dr Hatchback (midyear)

Bought that car in July 1999. It has the 2.0L engine. I have had numerous problems with it (including starter, catalytic converter, gas pump, window regulators). Lately the car has been in the shop for a little more than 4 weeks. Not sure when (if?) it is going to come out of there. Fun to drive, but reliability is really disappointing.

Favorite Features

Interior, fun factor, versatility of hatchback.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, and SERVICE!!!!