1998 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Love the VR6!

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

Love the VR6!
By Downsy on

1998 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

The VR6 makes this car so much fun to drive. The engine has a large, wonderful range of torque. It is very responsive both in the throttle and handling. The light weight makes it a joy to whip around. The fuel economy has been fabulous. I get 27-28 MPG consistently with mostly highway driving. The biggest complaint I have is in reliability. I have replaced the AC, generator (2), clutch spring, radio antenna, crankshaft position sensor, and fog lights (3). Also, the power windows stick from time to time and it burns oil. When it runs, it is a lot of fun and I am having a hard time letting it go.

The VR6 engine is the best feature. I also like the interior with the great leather seats. Hauling is a real plus as the back seats fold down and the hatch allows huge cargo room. I even brought home a basketball goal and post in it!

Improve the accessory reliability or reduce the parts cost. The generator failed just out of warranty and was a $450 part. The tiny crankshaft sensor cost me almost $300 and I replaced it myself.