1998 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: A Fun Little Ride . . .

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

A Fun Little Ride . . .
By Storm33 on

1998 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a certified pre- owned from a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI with only 22K miles. I was looking for a pre-owned Audi A4 for a work car, and the salesman said if I was looking for something fun with reasonable fuel economy I should try the VR6. I test drove it, and decided this would be a great little work car for about $10K less than the car I came in looking for. I'm not really pleased with the level of road noise and rattles, etc., but overall it's fairly comfortable and lots of fun to drive! I've put 25K miles on it in a year, and have enjoyed most of those miles.

#1: That V6 engine! #2: The onboard computer; #3: The moonroof; #4: Leather seats; #5: A/C and heater work fine.

VW needs to put good tires on these cars right out of the factory; the Eagle GA's that were on this car were absolutely scary on wet pavement. I threw them away after 1,000 miles and bought Bridgestone Potenza's - what a HUGE difference!