Used 1998 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

vr6
By vw4life2010

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

i love my 98 gti vr6 only thing i think it really needs is 2 be lowered and bigger sway bar front and back

Favorite Features

the power and the way it takes corners

Suggested Improvements

just lower it

Fun to drive!
By velodiesel

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I love my '98 GTI VR6! The build quality is good, but VW needs to tighten things up. Many rattles and squeaks developed over time which became increasingly annoying to me. I most likely would not buy another VW, as there are much better values out there to be had, especially from Nissan.

Favorite Features

The VR6 engine is tough to beat for torque and response, and is silky smooth power all the way through the gears.

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to work out the electrical system issues and the miscellaneous squeaks and rattles that have developed over time. Parts were also expensive in my opinion.

Love the VR6!
By Downsy

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

The VR6 makes this car so much fun to drive. The engine has a large, wonderful range of torque. It is very responsive both in the throttle and handling. The light weight makes it a joy to whip around. The fuel economy has been fabulous. I get 27-28 MPG consistently with mostly highway driving. The biggest complaint I have is in reliability. I have replaced the AC, generator (2), clutch spring, radio antenna, crankshaft position sensor, and fog lights (3). Also, the power windows stick from time to time and it burns oil. When it runs, it is a lot of fun and I am having a hard time letting it go.

Favorite Features

The VR6 engine is the best feature. I also like the interior with the great leather seats. Hauling is a real plus as the back seats fold down and the hatch allows huge cargo room. I even brought home a basketball goal and post in it!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the accessory reliability or reduce the parts cost. The generator failed just out of warranty and was a $450 part. The tiny crankshaft sensor cost me almost $300 and I replaced it myself.

Great little car
By guymeister

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought mine new back in 1998, expecting to keep it a few years. Almost 14 years later it's still going strong and I still like it. The good things about it are that it's fast, quick, and nimble. The seats are form fitting and keep you from moving around. Repairs have been rare, but fairly expensive when they came. The strangest one was the replacement of the thermostat, which 1 garage couldn't even find, and that the dealer replaced for $450. In general, though, it's been very reliable. The only down side to it is that you feel every bump in the road. That gets annoying after a while.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better instrument cluster, especially lighting. It's very dim at night.

Reliable - Blast to Drive!
By PerryG

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new and have nothing but a positive experience to date. The car has been very reliable. There have been a few problems which are common to all GTI's such as the window regulator failing and the coil pack (which should be covered under recal). Besides performance its amazing just how much you can fit inside the hatch - how many cars can you fit a 27 inch tv still in the box?

Favorite Features

Power, subtle looks. Clean and simple dash layout.

Suggested Improvements

TIRES! The stock goodyear's are horrible. They do last forever though.