1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Great little car
By guymeister on 01/23/12 17:51 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought mine new back in 1998, expecting to keep it a few years. Almost 14 years later it's still going strong and I still like it. The good things about it are that it's fast, quick, and nimble. The seats are form fitting and keep you from moving around. Repairs have been rare, but fairly expensive when they came. The strangest one was the replacement of the thermostat, which 1 garage couldn't even find, and that the dealer replaced for $450. In general, though, it's been very reliable. The only down side to it is that you feel every bump in the road. That gets annoying after a while.

vr6
By vw4life2010 on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

i love my 98 gti vr6 only thing i think it really needs is 2 be lowered and bigger sway bar front and back

Love the VR6!
By Downsy on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

The VR6 makes this car so much fun to drive. The engine has a large, wonderful range of torque. It is very responsive both in the throttle and handling. The light weight makes it a joy to whip around. The fuel economy has been fabulous. I get 27-28 MPG consistently with mostly highway driving. The biggest complaint I have is in reliability. I have replaced the AC, generator (2), clutch spring, radio antenna, crankshaft position sensor, and fog lights (3). Also, the power windows stick from time to time and it burns oil. When it runs, it is a lot of fun and I am having a hard time letting it go.

Reliable - Blast to Drive!
By PerryG on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new and have nothing but a positive experience to date. The car has been very reliable. There have been a few problems which are common to all GTI's such as the window regulator failing and the coil pack (which should be covered under recal). Besides performance its amazing just how much you can fit inside the hatch - how many cars can you fit a 27 inch tv still in the box?

Fun to drive!
By velodiesel on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I love my '98 GTI VR6! The build quality is good, but VW needs to tighten things up. Many rattles and squeaks developed over time which became increasingly annoying to me. I most likely would not buy another VW, as there are much better values out there to be had, especially from Nissan.

VR6 Fun
By byersb on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is my third VW and second VR6. The 98 GTI with the VR6 is so much fun to drive. And the sound of the V6 makes you drive without the radio and yearn for the light to turn green. There always seems to be a few minor rattles inside of all the VW's I have owned, but outside of that, the car is a blast to drive. The brakes on the VR6 will stop you quickly. The 11.3" rotors upfront hint at what this car is built to do... shock and amaze BMW's, Mustangs etc. And to round out the package, you get the utility of a hatchback. I consider this a true SPORT utility vehicle.

A Fun Little Ride . . .
By Storm33 on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car as a certified pre- owned from a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI with only 22K miles. I was looking for a pre-owned Audi A4 for a work car, and the salesman said if I was looking for something fun with reasonable fuel economy I should try the VR6. I test drove it, and decided this would be a great little work car for about $10K less than the car I came in looking for. I'm not really pleased with the level of road noise and rattles, etc., but overall it's fairly comfortable and lots of fun to drive! I've put 25K miles on it in a year, and have enjoyed most of those miles.

Think twice before getting sucked in!
By Beefy-T on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I purchased a GTI in 99' and it gave me nothing but problems. The car is fun to drive(needs stiffer suspension) and does have many features not available on similar priced cars; however, reliability is horrible and the cost of maintenance will make you want to kill yourself! The majority of the car is made in Brazil not Germany (shoddy workmanship)and the engine is expensive to maintain ($400+ for a tune-up and $40+ for an oil change). I spent over $6000 in two years, thank god for the extended warranty. (there's a reason Volks extended their warranty)

Fun - But expensive to maintain
By Larry Williams on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

Don't misread me, this is a FUN car to drive. This car is fast and handles like a slot car. The hatch is HUGE, and I've carried items of unbelievable size back there. Reliability is only so-so. I've had numerous problems with the radio, the leather has peeled away from both doors numerous times. On the more serious side, I've spent over $2000 in the last two years replacing various items that have failed. (Ignition coil, fuel injector, thermostat, etc.) Routine maintenance will cost you a bundle. If you are on a tight budget, I'd advise looking elsewhere.

VR6 it baby!
By Jassdog on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car out of loyalty to the VW marque. Felt it was the best option for me as I have no kids to tote around. Performance was excellent, handled decently, and stopped well. Build quality was high, but had problems with the pinch protector on the power windows, and the seat leather on the bolsters wore out after 1 year. Sold the car due to insurance cost (age and sex plus VR6 made it fairly expensive), and the somewhat poor gas mileage. Would recommend as a sporty, fun commuter if you can resist the desire to speed!!