1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
A car with character.
By ginstery on 11/06/13 22:18 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love this car, it's just fun. As much as the rust and minor issues annoy me, in the end it puts a smile on my face every time I sit behind the steering wheel. You feel the road as you drive it, and with that you gain a connection with the car, as if it's an extension of yourself. As much as I'd love a brand new clean car, I can't help but think it just wouldn't be as much of a joy to drive. 150,000 miles, 10,000 of which are mine, and many more to come.

Great little car
By guymeister on 01/23/12 17:51 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought mine new back in 1998, expecting to keep it a few years. Almost 14 years later it's still going strong and I still like it. The good things about it are that it's fast, quick, and nimble. The seats are form fitting and keep you from moving around. Repairs have been rare, but fairly expensive when they came. The strangest one was the replacement of the thermostat, which 1 garage couldn't even find, and that the dealer replaced for $450. In general, though, it's been very reliable. The only down side to it is that you feel every bump in the road. That gets annoying after a while.

vr6
By vw4life2010 on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

i love my 98 gti vr6 only thing i think it really needs is 2 be lowered and bigger sway bar front and back

Golf GTI
By .::JANUS::. on 08/12/06 10:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. My older brother gave it to me for my 16th birthday. It already had 88,000 miles on it but it still runs really well. The only thing it really needed was a new throttle body and some wheel bearings. I love the interior and it gets great gas mileage (between 29 and 33 mpg).

Most Fun you can Have with $6,000
By 2lowVR6 on 12/31/05 20:21 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my '98 GTI VR6 for one year now and have loved it! When purchased it had just hit 100,000 miles but was well maintained. I have since put 40,000 more on it without the first bit of trouble. I did however have a minor accident a couple months after buying it causing me to replace some suspension components. I chose to upgrade with Bilstein struts and lowering springs. I also added an intake and chip. Even with the mods & 17" wheels I still get around 25 mpg city / hwy. I would suggest this car to any sport enthusiast. However bear in mind it is not the quietest car inside or out. So if you dont mind the occasional squeak GO FOR IT!

driver's wanted
By B on 06/27/05 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This is the funnest car I have ever driven, fuel economy, looks, all round great car. I have not had any problems with her nor do I expect to! If you are looking for a fun inexpensive car that will last for a long time look no further. VW's are the best.

Love the VR6!
By Downsy on 01/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

The VR6 makes this car so much fun to drive. The engine has a large, wonderful range of torque. It is very responsive both in the throttle and handling. The light weight makes it a joy to whip around. The fuel economy has been fabulous. I get 27-28 MPG consistently with mostly highway driving. The biggest complaint I have is in reliability. I have replaced the AC, generator (2), clutch spring, radio antenna, crankshaft position sensor, and fog lights (3). Also, the power windows stick from time to time and it burns oil. When it runs, it is a lot of fun and I am having a hard time letting it go.

Reliable - Blast to Drive!
By PerryG on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car new and have nothing but a positive experience to date. The car has been very reliable. There have been a few problems which are common to all GTI's such as the window regulator failing and the coil pack (which should be covered under recal). Besides performance its amazing just how much you can fit inside the hatch - how many cars can you fit a 27 inch tv still in the box?

Fun to drive!
By velodiesel on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I love my '98 GTI VR6! The build quality is good, but VW needs to tighten things up. Many rattles and squeaks developed over time which became increasingly annoying to me. I most likely would not buy another VW, as there are much better values out there to be had, especially from Nissan.

VR6 Fun
By byersb on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is my third VW and second VR6. The 98 GTI with the VR6 is so much fun to drive. And the sound of the V6 makes you drive without the radio and yearn for the light to turn green. There always seems to be a few minor rattles inside of all the VW's I have owned, but outside of that, the car is a blast to drive. The brakes on the VR6 will stop you quickly. The 11.3" rotors upfront hint at what this car is built to do... shock and amaze BMW's, Mustangs etc. And to round out the package, you get the utility of a hatchback. I consider this a true SPORT utility vehicle.