1998 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
A car with character.
By ginstery on 11/06/13 22:18 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I love this car, it's just fun. As much as the rust and minor issues annoy me, in the end it puts a smile on my face every time I sit behind the steering wheel. You feel the road as you drive it, and with that you gain a connection with the car, as if it's an extension of yourself. As much as I'd love a brand new clean car, I can't help but think it just wouldn't be as much of a joy to drive. 150,000 miles, 10,000 of which are mine, and many more to come.

Golf GTI
By .::JANUS::. on 08/12/06 10:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I love this car. My older brother gave it to me for my 16th birthday. It already had 88,000 miles on it but it still runs really well. The only thing it really needed was a new throttle body and some wheel bearings. I love the interior and it gets great gas mileage (between 29 and 33 mpg).

Most Fun you can Have with $6,000
By 2lowVR6 on 12/31/05 20:21 PM (PST)

1998 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I've owned my '98 GTI VR6 for one year now and have loved it! When purchased it had just hit 100,000 miles but was well maintained. I have since put 40,000 more on it without the first bit of trouble. I did however have a minor accident a couple months after buying it causing me to replace some suspension components. I chose to upgrade with Bilstein struts and lowering springs. I also added an intake and chip. Even with the mods & 17" wheels I still get around 25 mpg city / hwy. I would suggest this car to any sport enthusiast. However bear in mind it is not the quietest car inside or out. So if you dont mind the occasional squeak GO FOR IT!

driver's wanted
By B on 06/27/05 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

This is the funnest car I have ever driven, fuel economy, looks, all round great car. I have not had any problems with her nor do I expect to! If you are looking for a fun inexpensive car that will last for a long time look no further. VW's are the best.

The German Escort
By sethjvm on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

The car is essentially a German version of the Ford Escort. It's: *cheap *small *good fuel economy *hatchback *should be fairly reliable