Used 1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Fun to drive
By slimsalmon

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I've owned this car from 19K miles to 240K. Overall this car is extremely fun to drive and handles exceptionally. The drive train is solid and at 240K miles my car still doesn't show any signs of weakness or burn any oil. I still haven't needed to replace the clutch or do any transmission work either. The dash and controls are built well and aren't cheap and plasticy like many cars that came out during that time. However, there has been a TON of stuff that needs constant attention outside the main drive train which seemed like it was built so cheaply it was designed to fail.

Favorite Features

Handling, performance, comfort, realiable drive train, interior well built without plastic cheap feel of other cars.

Suggested Improvements

Door locks, brake system, suspension, power windows, electronics, and many other secondary systems on the car are poorly built and need repair or replacement on a regular basis.

Buy It Unless You Are Broke
By GTIUNV

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

All I am going to say is 170,000 miles of FUN! That is right, 170,000 miles and all it took was regular maintenance. If you buy it you will need to put money in it (don't buy it if you are broke). Maintenance is pricey, but you can do most of it yourself. BTW, this is one of four VWs I have had.

Favorite Features

The ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR of the VR6 engine. I still wonder how they managed to fit a 2.8L engine in that small engine bay.

Suggested Improvements

Make it less expensive to add additional horsepower (ie. supercharger, or turbo).

I'll Never Sell this Car
By Chris

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I love this car to death. I bought it brand new from the dealership and I've driven it only on real nice days in the summer. This car has great power, handles very well and is a real head turner with its bright blue color. I've only experienced minor problems with it but who doesn't with any car.

Favorite Features

The color, the VR6 engine, the interior, pretty much everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

Add OEM keyless entry.

VW's have a following
By Mr Tim

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

VW's have a huge following for one very important reason. they are great cars. Get in one, and as soon as you turn on the engine you will notice something different. the car gives a little feed back. This is the 2nd GTI VR6 I have had, and my 5th VW in all. All my other VW's have been flawless as well. Do your maintenance, avoid the high prices for repairs by the dealers, and you will love your VW for a long long time. This GTI has 145,000 Miles on it. It has the original clutch, timing chain, everything. I am 27, which means I bought this car when I was 22. So no this car has not been babied.

Favorite Features

Power, power and more power. this thing has torque and horse power by the boatload. Steering wheel gives feedback, central locking, Comes standard fuly loaded

Suggested Improvements

Put an aftermarket Chip in it by GIAC. it will boost power by alot, and it will actually give you better Gas milage. go to the GIAC site for more info

Fast, fun & frugal
By username1

1997 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

Purchased from a friend. After fixing some neglected items, (Brakes, shocks, plugs) the car runs and drives very well. A speedy economy car that catches unsuspecting pick-up, SUV and Minivan drivers by surprise with outstanding in class acceleration, brakeing and cornering. The ride is firm and sporting, perfect for this cars mission. Sporty and practical.

Favorite Features

Engine, brakes, and cornering.

Suggested Improvements

None.