1997 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Fun to drive
By slimsalmon on 03/10/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I've owned this car from 19K miles to 240K. Overall this car is extremely fun to drive and handles exceptionally. The drive train is solid and at 240K miles my car still doesn't show any signs of weakness or burn any oil. I still haven't needed to replace the clutch or do any transmission work either. The dash and controls are built well and aren't cheap and plasticy like many cars that came out during that time. However, there has been a TON of stuff that needs constant attention outside the main drive train which seemed like it was built so cheaply it was designed to fail.

Never get bored to drive a GTI
By allinthegame on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I've had the car for 4 yrs now. got it used with 20k on it. always fun to drive. I like the feel of the car. feel like driving a real car. Only thing I dont like is the spares are expensive. Always dependable, no major problems, I can take the car anywhere without thinking about whats going to happen to the babe...

114k and still running strong (sort of!)
By ercdvn01 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for a little over three years and I have put close to 70K on it since then. I had to get a new cat back exhaust around 50K. The only thing since then was a timing belt, tune up, and wheel bearings at 112K. My latest problem and the biggest so far is that my reverse is totally shot! I can't complain too much about the car I have been pretty rough with it over the past three years and it has held up pretty good. I just wish it had more power!!!

Fun Car to Drive
By VW GTI on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

The car is great to drive, the handling is great. The biggest complaint I have with the VWs is the electrical. This is my third VW and everyone of them has had electrical problems, nothing that's to troulesome, just annoying. The rear wiper is flimsy, the side molding came off, again just annoying. Also, like other VWs with abs brakes mine has malfunctioned. Would I recommend the vehicle, easily 'yes'.

5 Years of Fun
By TAN1848 on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

5 Years of fun so far. Nothing to report bad but the body has begun to start making creaking sounds. Thier is 55,000 on the OD and it is time for the timing Belt replacement, Tires and Hoses. I have heard that power steering may become problem in future?

GTI's are fun for everyone!!!
By Billy Miller on 04/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

Very dependable car, fun to drive, pleasing to the eye, and everyone else seems to love it too! I've had a few minor problems, but never anything major.