Used 1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

I'll Never Sell this Car
By Chris

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I love this car to death. I bought it brand new from the dealership and I've driven it only on real nice days in the summer. This car has great power, handles very well and is a real head turner with its bright blue color. I've only experienced minor problems with it but who doesn't with any car.

The color, the VR6 engine, the interior, pretty much everything about it.

Add OEM keyless entry.

VW's have a following
By Mr Tim

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

VW's have a huge following for one very important reason. they are great cars. Get in one, and as soon as you turn on the engine you will notice something different. the car gives a little feed back. This is the 2nd GTI VR6 I have had, and my 5th VW in all. All my other VW's have been flawless as well. Do your maintenance, avoid the high prices for repairs by the dealers, and you will love your VW for a long long time. This GTI has 145,000 Miles on it. It has the original clutch, timing chain, everything. I am 27, which means I bought this car when I was 22. So no this car has not been babied.

Power, power and more power. this thing has torque and horse power by the boatload. Steering wheel gives feedback, central locking, Comes standard fuly loaded

Put an aftermarket Chip in it by GIAC. it will boost power by alot, and it will actually give you better Gas milage. go to the GIAC site for more info

Pretty Nice GTI
By Good til Caught FIRE

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I purchased it new 5 years ago and I loved it (91,000 miles). It's sporty, quick in comparison to other cars in it's class ('97). Nice standand features. Fun to drive. Biggest draw back... the engine caught fire and was a total loss !!!

The VR6 power and the Driver addition trim package is sportier looking.

Heated seats are not available with the leather package. The door locks freeze up quite often. Both front seat adjusters broke. Generally parts seem expensive. Include a fire extinguisher!