1997 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
I'll Never Sell this Car
By Chris on 06/26/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I love this car to death. I bought it brand new from the dealership and I've driven it only on real nice days in the summer. This car has great power, handles very well and is a real head turner with its bright blue color. I've only experienced minor problems with it but who doesn't with any car.

VW's have a following
By Mr Tim on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

VW's have a huge following for one very important reason. they are great cars. Get in one, and as soon as you turn on the engine you will notice something different. the car gives a little feed back. This is the 2nd GTI VR6 I have had, and my 5th VW in all. All my other VW's have been flawless as well. Do your maintenance, avoid the high prices for repairs by the dealers, and you will love your VW for a long long time. This GTI has 145,000 Miles on it. It has the original clutch, timing chain, everything. I am 27, which means I bought this car when I was 22. So no this car has not been babied.

Pretty Nice GTI
By Good til Caught FIRE on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I purchased it new 5 years ago and I loved it (91,000 miles). It's sporty, quick in comparison to other cars in it's class ('97). Nice standand features. Fun to drive. Biggest draw back... the engine caught fire and was a total loss !!!