1997 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Fun to drive
By slimsalmon on 03/10/08 17:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I've owned this car from 19K miles to 240K. Overall this car is extremely fun to drive and handles exceptionally. The drive train is solid and at 240K miles my car still doesn't show any signs of weakness or burn any oil. I still haven't needed to replace the clutch or do any transmission work either. The dash and controls are built well and aren't cheap and plasticy like many cars that came out during that time. However, there has been a TON of stuff that needs constant attention outside the main drive train which seemed like it was built so cheaply it was designed to fail.

Buy It Unless You Are Broke
By GTIUNV on 03/07/07 19:43 PM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

All I am going to say is 170,000 miles of FUN! That is right, 170,000 miles and all it took was regular maintenance. If you buy it you will need to put money in it (don't buy it if you are broke). Maintenance is pricey, but you can do most of it yourself. BTW, this is one of four VWs I have had.

I'll Never Sell this Car
By Chris on 06/26/06 11:30 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I love this car to death. I bought it brand new from the dealership and I've driven it only on real nice days in the summer. This car has great power, handles very well and is a real head turner with its bright blue color. I've only experienced minor problems with it but who doesn't with any car.

VW's have a following
By Mr Tim on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

VW's have a huge following for one very important reason. they are great cars. Get in one, and as soon as you turn on the engine you will notice something different. the car gives a little feed back. This is the 2nd GTI VR6 I have had, and my 5th VW in all. All my other VW's have been flawless as well. Do your maintenance, avoid the high prices for repairs by the dealers, and you will love your VW for a long long time. This GTI has 145,000 Miles on it. It has the original clutch, timing chain, everything. I am 27, which means I bought this car when I was 22. So no this car has not been babied.

Fast, fun & frugal
By username1 on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

Purchased from a friend. After fixing some neglected items, (Brakes, shocks, plugs) the car runs and drives very well. A speedy economy car that catches unsuspecting pick-up, SUV and Minivan drivers by surprise with outstanding in class acceleration, brakeing and cornering. The ride is firm and sporting, perfect for this cars mission. Sporty and practical.

Pretty Nice GTI
By Good til Caught FIRE on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Driver's Edition 2dr Hatchback

I purchased it new 5 years ago and I loved it (91,000 miles). It's sporty, quick in comparison to other cars in it's class ('97). Nice standand features. Fun to drive. Biggest draw back... the engine caught fire and was a total loss !!!

Never get bored to drive a GTI
By allinthegame on 05/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I've had the car for 4 yrs now. got it used with 20k on it. always fun to drive. I like the feel of the car. feel like driving a real car. Only thing I dont like is the spares are expensive. Always dependable, no major problems, I can take the car anywhere without thinking about whats going to happen to the babe...

114k and still running strong (sort of!)
By ercdvn01 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for a little over three years and I have put close to 70K on it since then. I had to get a new cat back exhaust around 50K. The only thing since then was a timing belt, tune up, and wheel bearings at 112K. My latest problem and the biggest so far is that my reverse is totally shot! I can't complain too much about the car I have been pretty rough with it over the past three years and it has held up pretty good. I just wish it had more power!!!

Still fun to drive after 5 years!
By johnincary on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is my second GTI, after 92 GTI 16v. Compared to old GTI this one is much better in every way, except that is's heavier. The VR6 is still very fun to drive and stealthy looking as always - attracting no attention so fast driving is still possible. I have no mechanical problems to report. Do get 16" wheels and tires and better suspension - this car needs firmer suspension - everything else on it is fine.

Fun Car to Drive
By VW GTI on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback

The car is great to drive, the handling is great. The biggest complaint I have with the VWs is the electrical. This is my third VW and everyone of them has had electrical problems, nothing that's to troulesome, just annoying. The rear wiper is flimsy, the side molding came off, again just annoying. Also, like other VWs with abs brakes mine has malfunctioned. Would I recommend the vehicle, easily 'yes'.