1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

VR6 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )
the real deal by : Jason Himo
By mrvr6 on 12/07/08 18:55 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

Well I must say I only owned this car for a few months and I enjoy it a lot especially that I'm only 20 years old. Its pretty much for Young guys who enjoy whipping it hard shifting gears blasting down the freeway. The engine of the vr6 is not only a strong engine but a engine that sounds like a g35 on those lines, quite unique and impressive for a stock car with no modifications on the engine.

1995 Volkswagen GTI 2 Dr
By MetalHead on 08/26/08 12:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

My VR6 172 HP 2-door has been a load of fun. The torquey 6 cylinder moves the car at low rpm easily and without the need to rev (Japanese) the motor but still tops-out @ 130 mph. Highway driving is FUN. I have been the original owner of my GTI. Maintenance costs have been about $3000 over the 198,000 miles I've driven the car. Items replaced: (2) wheel bearings $300 ea., (1set) shocks $200 I replaced, (2) water pumps $350 ea., (2) sets of breaks $150 ea. I replaced (easy job), (1) muffler $375 I replaced, (1) fuel pump $180 I replaced (super easy job), (3) emission devices $275 I replaced, and a variety of other small items $300. Bottom line, I would buy another VW GTI VR6.

Fun with lots of Potential.
By StuntJake7 on 07/06/05 14:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car real cheep for $2800.00 It needs some work done to it. i guess its a common thing for VW to lose the function of their Window Motor, I had this problem. The engine is super strong and very fast. It get great gas milage for the power it has. One reason why i picked the GTI is becasue I mountain bike and if you fold down the rear seats you can easilly fit 2 mountian bikes in the rear. There is Plenty of room in this car. and comes with a MPG gauge as well as a outside Temp. and many other fetures. thanks JAKE

What a Great Purchase
By MarkHammond on 09/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 98000 miles onit.It now has over 165000 on it has only broken down once.I drive the hell out of this car,some would say it borders on abuse,but it just keeps kicking ass.It doesn't take a lot of money to turn this quick car into a downright fast car.Reliable,fast and fun..what more could you ask for in a car?

Best car ever owned
By MyFirstFord on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I put over 110K miles on this car in 3 years. Onlythings that I ever had to do was replace the ingnition coil, and the passenger door regulator for the power windows.

VR6s Rule
By Max Vertical on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for six year (bought '95 new leftover) and have only had one minor problem which was covered under the original dealer warranty. The vehicle has 146,500 well cared for miles and has been garaged for its existence. The brakes (pads only) were replaced within the last year and rotars did not need to be cut. I upgraded the suspension to bilstein and put an upper strut tie bar which helped to reduce some roll. I love this car.

Happy-Owner?
By the the the on 09/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

There is a reliability issue with this car. Luckily I purchased extended warrenty (10 model year and 100,000 miles...Most of it was covered by the warrenty so it was not too bad. I replace the springs and shocks because the orginal factory equipment sucks. When you take turns or corners at moderate speed there is severe bodyroll. With the new springs and shocks the car handles so much better...and it looks great. The engine is solid, no problems at all. If you are buying a used one, go get it checked out by a trust worthy VW mechanic and buy a good extended warrenty.

Don't Buy a German Car made in Mexico
By VW owner on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

The VR6 has good power and torque. Clutch is smooth. However, I will not recommend this car. A lot of stupid expensive quirky things go wrong with this car. 1)power window regulators go bad 2)central locking system freezes up in the winter, it effects the power doors, gas filler door, and trunk lid 3) sunroof freezes up, don't bother fixing it it will malfunction again 4)gauge cluster will eventually malfunction, i.e. tachometer&lights, replacement cluster cannot be set to correct mileage 5)electric system,factory alarm will come on mysteriously 6)tie rods, CV joints, axles, and steering components don't last long.

A whole lotta little car...
By Mr.VW on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback VR6 2dr Hatchback

Just an awesome car! Fast, roomy, reliable, and fuel efficient. I pulled trailers, waverunners and cars with mine. Lots of power in the VR6. Durable too. I put 70k miles on in just less than 2 years before it was totalled. I only had to replace the ignition coil.