Used 1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen GTI

VR6 2.8L V6 5-speed Manual - (9 reviews )

the real deal by : Jason Himo
By mrvr6

1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

Well I must say I only owned this car for a few months and I enjoy it a lot especially that I'm only 20 years old. Its pretty much for Young guys who enjoy whipping it hard shifting gears blasting down the freeway. The engine of the vr6 is not only a strong engine but a engine that sounds like a g35 on those lines, quite unique and impressive for a stock car with no modifications on the engine.

Favorite Features

the favorite features on MY GTI VR6 would be the bilstein suspension, neuspeed springs for an amazing fast turns that hold you to the ground incredibly.

Suggested Improvements

Well I will admit to problems with Volkswagen. My head gasket is gone so unfortunately I can't drive my car. I will change my engine for a new vr6 24v by spring time, but until then ill realize on how many other great cars I couldve bought that are reliable. But my golf gti vr6 still gives me chills.

1995 Volkswagen GTI 2 Dr
By MetalHead

1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

My VR6 172 HP 2-door has been a load of fun. The torquey 6 cylinder moves the car at low rpm easily and without the need to rev (Japanese) the motor but still tops-out @ 130 mph. Highway driving is FUN. I have been the original owner of my GTI. Maintenance costs have been about $3000 over the 198,000 miles I've driven the car. Items replaced: (2) wheel bearings $300 ea., (1set) shocks $200 I replaced, (2) water pumps $350 ea., (2) sets of breaks $150 ea. I replaced (easy job), (1) muffler $375 I replaced, (1) fuel pump $180 I replaced (super easy job), (3) emission devices $275 I replaced, and a variety of other small items $300. Bottom line, I would buy another VW GTI VR6.

Favorite Features

Driving pleasure, roominess, ergonomics, cost of operation, over-all reliability, low profile appearance (stealthiness to cops).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of the small stuff.

Fun with lots of Potential.
By StuntJake7

1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car real cheep for $2800.00 It needs some work done to it. i guess its a common thing for VW to lose the function of their Window Motor, I had this problem. The engine is super strong and very fast. It get great gas milage for the power it has. One reason why i picked the GTI is becasue I mountain bike and if you fold down the rear seats you can easilly fit 2 mountian bikes in the rear. There is Plenty of room in this car. and comes with a MPG gauge as well as a outside Temp. and many other fetures. thanks JAKE

Favorite Features

Outside temp, and MPG gauge. Heated seets

Suggested Improvements

shocks and springs

What a Great Purchase
By MarkHammond

1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car with 98000 miles onit.It now has over 165000 on it has only broken down once.I drive the hell out of this car,some would say it borders on abuse,but it just keeps kicking ass.It doesn't take a lot of money to turn this quick car into a downright fast car.Reliable,fast and fun..what more could you ask for in a car?

Favorite Features

Enough power equip to comfort you,not spoil you(the more toys,more weight) excellent build quality,unbeatable reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Where the hells the glovebox in my '95? They actually already took care of this gripe.stiffen the handling a little and ask Honda how they get the shift linkage so silky.

Best car ever owned
By MyFirstFord

1995 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback

I put over 110K miles on this car in 3 years. Onlythings that I ever had to do was replace the ingnition coil, and the passenger door regulator for the power windows.

Favorite Features

-Tons of aftermarket parts available -Blast to drive -quick -handles well -well places controls -very reliable

Suggested Improvements

Car is rusting, that is the one thing that agrevates me. Engine is like new, but body has rust spots over rear wheels, and on hatch.