Used 1991 Volkswagen GTI 16V Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

1991 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Excitement with a price.
By brooksification

1991 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 16V 2dr Hatchback

I have owned my '91 GTI for about ten months now. In my opinion, it is one of the coolest cars on the road. It's a lot of fun to drive and it gets the looks. When you drive this car it feels like you're driving a 5-speed go-kart. It's handling is excellent, and the performance is just as good. As nice as the car may sound so far, be aware of the usual "Volkswagen problems". Trust me, you will have problems, and VWs aren't cheap to fix. You will have fun with this car, but try not to redline it off every green light, otherwise you will be flooded with repair bills.

Favorite Features

There aren't really any special features that i can say i favor, but i do have the original Recaro interior which has much more comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

If you own or plan on owning a stock (factory) GTI, i suggest you lower the suspension to Eurospec height. You will be able to take a corner like you never thought possible.

This car is trouble!
By dreddy

1991 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 16V 2dr Hatchback

This is the most fun to drive car I've ever had! Due to my various exploits, I shouldn't comment on reliability. It has a close ratio transmission, so make sure you don't mind turning 3900+ rpm at 80mph (fuel economy suffers as a result). This car was made for driving, with easy to read guages and good driving position. Ride is kind of harsh, but handling is out of this world. This car loves to get up and go. I can't believe I still have my driver's license!

Favorite Features

Recaro seats (especially with my bad back). Great noises (engine, exhaust). Exclusivity (Hey, aren't you that guy who drives the green GTI?). Did I mention fun to drive?

Suggested Improvements

Would have liked some creature comforts, especially cruise control. Also, there were several niceties shown in the brochure that were absent from my car (LED 3rd brake light, body color mirrors). 15" BBS wheels were quite soft.

Best hatchback out there!
By GTI16v

1991 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 16V 2dr Hatchback

All for all best car for the value. My 91 GTI 16v came with BBS RM wheels that are extremely rare, Recaro seats, Quad headlamp grill, big flairs, close ratio tranny, and 2.0 16v engine. This car handles like it is on rails, it is extremely quick, really reliable and it is a blast to drive each time I get in it. In my opinion, much, much better than the Japanese competition.

Favorite Features

2.o litre 16v motor, recaro seats, BBS RM wheels, and great euro look.

Suggested Improvements

None can be made.

Distinctive, practical and fun
By vxchea

1991 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 16V 2dr Hatchback

The GTI 16V was a great car that had everything I needed at the time: Utility, looks, performance and gas mileage. As it aged, more and more things started falling apart and maintenance was getting expensive (relative to its competition). I had to sell it, but was sad to see it go.

Favorite Features

Montana Metallic color (green), BBS rims, exterior enhancements over regular Golfs, Teutonic layout, hatchback, sunroof, European headlights, Recaro seats

Suggested Improvements

Interior noise level, quality and cost of its replacement parts, ceiling treatment, third brake light situated poorly