2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

0 problems 100% fun
By KC

2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI Launch Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage. It loves Sunoco - super- for some reason. I get 40 mpg easy. Between 65 - 70 mph. Has great on-ramp acceleration, try 3rd gear at 3 grand. Going to 17's is going to drastically reduce your mpg. I averaged 32 mpg, went back to the 15's for mileage. In town gets decent mpg at 32 mpg. Great passing acceleration. I've had zero issue's with my car. I have a killer 7 year 200,000 mile warranty.

At 6'2 I have no issues with room , plenty of it. Motor mounts are soft. The continentals on the car are all season and I have to say great little tires. No issues with rain or now.

I believe I have finally found a trouble free car that gets me where I need to go.

Technically Deficient but a great small car !
By Madhoo

This model doesn't support CarPlay although the plan was to have it in their 2014 model. I wish they had MIB II on this model or at least had an option to upgrade to MIB II so that iPhone's CarPlay could run on it, even later in 2016 or beyond. Heard that Texas Instruments and Volkswagen have collaborated on a new infotainment platform i.e. MIB II to deliver this technology but details are unknown yet about upgrade into this model.

2015 TSI SEL 4 Door Hatchback 1.8L
By Mick

2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SEL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wanted one of these cars for the last year. After having a 2011 Tiguan, which I loved I decided to get the Golf. It's been a disappointment!

The looks of the car, and the engine are wonderful. The interior is really nicely done. I love the sunroof. Power off the line is a little slow until the turbo spools up, but after that it has plenty of power. Fuel economy is a little less than I expected for the size of the car, but I can live with it.

I purchased the car about 8 months ago, and now have almost 6000 miles on it. Around 4700 miles the transmission started to shutter when shifting gears. In sports mode it shifted much better, but had a real hard downshift. Took it in for maintenance, and they replaced both front axles. I was told that VW was aware of the problem and that this would solve the issue I was having. They told me usually most customers don't start having this problem until they have around 15,000 miles on the car.

When I got the car back, for the first 600 miles it shifted better, but still did not shift like it did when I first purchased it. Now it's doing the same thing again. It's bad enough in drive, but in sports mode it's terrible. It's going back in the shop tomorrow. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll get it fixed correctly this time. Sure hope so. If it wasn't for this issue I would be very happy with the car, and probably give it a 4 plus start rating.

If you decide to purchase one, before doing so, get on some of the VW forums. There are a lot of people that are having the same issue that I'm having, and VW has not stepped up after the initial repair and solved the problem. Many are die hard VW owners that have had VW vehicles for years.

What a Great Golf!
By jdh25

2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI SEL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have been a VW driver for over 25 years. 86 Scirocco, Jetta's and Passats. I thought my 06 2.0 Passat was the best VW ever, but this Golf is giving it some competition.

Eye candy on the outside and inside. The interior looks and feels as luxurious as an Audi, BMW or MBZ. Great design too with easy to use technology and awesome sound system. Love the simplicity VW provides.

The 1.8T is peppy and provides plenty of power for this car. It's not a GTI, but it is quick. The handling feels a little stiff, but not too much and very secure. Overall it's fun to look at and drive.

I had considered an Audi A3 & A4 but the Golf won and my wallet was all the more happy!

Update on this review after 1 year. The car is still all the above, but I am having trouble with the transmission "shuddering". It's mostly when the engine is cold and first put into gear. The dealer says that they don't know anything about this. I am going to leave the car with the dealer so they can experience it and/or at least I get it documented as a problem.

I am also worried about a camshaft recall. a portion of the cam shaft can sheer off causing loss of break pressure. VW claims they can fix this with a software update. I don't understand how a mechanical item can be fixed with software. It just does not sound right.

I still love the car, but am losing faith in VW especially after the Diesel problem, etc.

Amazing car!
By dublove

2015 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback TSI S 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've been a VW guy my whole life and when the mk7 Golf came out, I just knew I had to own it. And no that I have one, I just can't get over how awesome it is. The star of the show is this, gem of an engine, 1.8 TSI. It gets phenomenal fuel economy (over 40mpg, AND I have lots of power and can embarrass many cars on the road at a stoplight. And filling with 87 octane fuel is just another bonus. I love this car to bits! The NAV system is OK, touch screen response is okay, but zooming in and out is laggy and it glitches out sometimes but for the most part, this car is perfect.

1.8T engine, Slick 5spd transmission, great features, fun to drive, excellent interior ergonomics and build quality, no premium fuel!

Would like a bigger, high resolution infotainment system with a faster processor