2015 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

0 problems 100% fun
By KC

2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI Launch Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car gets great gas mileage. It loves Sunoco - super- for some reason. I get 40 mpg easy. Between 65 - 70 mph. Has great on-ramp acceleration, try 3rd gear at 3 grand. Going to 17's is going to drastically reduce your mpg. I averaged 32 mpg, went back to the 15's for mileage. In town gets decent mpg at 32 mpg. Great passing acceleration. I've had zero issue's with my car. I have a killer 7 year 200,000 mile warranty.

At 6'2 I have no issues with room , plenty of it. Motor mounts are soft. The continentals on the car are all season and I have to say great little tires. No issues with rain or now.

I believe I have finally found a trouble free car that gets me where I need to go.

Technically Deficient but a great small car !
By Madhoo

2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI Launch Edition 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This model doesn't support CarPlay although the plan was to have it in their 2014 model. I wish they had MIB II on this model or at least had an option to upgrade to MIB II so that iPhone's CarPlay could run on it, even later in 2016 or beyond. Heard that Texas Instruments and Volkswagen have collaborated on a new infotainment platform i.e. MIB II to deliver this technology but details are unknown yet about upgrade into this model.

Reviewing the car and not the corporate lies
By Robert Hoffman

2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Lets get the emission out of the way. I traded in a later model Mustang GT in on my TDI. I was obviously losing power, but I was gaining quality. A more balanced ideal for the urban jungle. The day we bought it, I bought a mid-size chest freezer. I didn't even hesitate, I just shoved it in my car. If you can buy one, get the manual. You MPG will amaze you sometimes. My engine is still breaking in and I am seeing 57+ on the highway. The DSG/Auto get about 47mpg, and is costly to maintain in comparison, so get the manual and it will reward you.

My little smog-box hugs the road, makes a unique grumble that the diesel provides and has minimal turbo lag. Interior is better than anything under $30k from the USA, and more well-rounded than anything from Japan. Maintenance will be more, but I prepaid that and extended the warranty as far as I could.

It was bitter sweet handing over the keys to my Mustang, that straight axle petro guzzling neighbor waking machine, but I have no regrets. Handling is amazing, the mileage makes Prius owners look like... well Prius owners. I would buy it again, even with the dieselgate drama. It is also a ton easier to load our camping gear into it. Though I will miss the funny looks we got when unpacking our belongings from the mustang.

First and last VW car.
By Clark

2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI S 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Because of VW's terrible business practice of lying to both consumers and regulators, the value of my car and those of others has dropped sharply. Why foster proper engineering when you can just deceive customers into buying a sub-spec product? I took a chance on the VW brand and have regretted it since.

2015 TSI SEL 4 Door Hatchback 1.8L
By Mick

2015 Volkswagen Golf TSI SEL 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I wanted one of these cars for the last year. After having a 2011 Tiguan, which I loved I decided to get the Golf. It's been a disappointment!

The looks of the car, and the engine are wonderful. The interior is really nicely done. I love the sunroof. Power off the line is a little slow until the turbo spools up, but after that it has plenty of power. Fuel economy is a little less than I expected for the size of the car, but I can live with it.

I purchased the car about 8 months ago, and now have almost 6000 miles on it. Around 4700 miles the transmission started to shutter when shifting gears. In sports mode it shifted much better, but had a real hard downshift. Took it in for maintenance, and they replaced both front axles. I was told that VW was aware of the problem and that this would solve the issue I was having. They told me usually most customers don't start having this problem until they have around 15,000 miles on the car.

When I got the car back, for the first 600 miles it shifted better, but still did not shift like it did when I first purchased it. Now it's doing the same thing again. It's bad enough in drive, but in sports mode it's terrible. It's going back in the shop tomorrow. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll get it fixed correctly this time. Sure hope so. If it wasn't for this issue I would be very happy with the car, and probably give it a 4 plus start rating.

If you decide to purchase one, before doing so, get on some of the VW forums. There are a lot of people that are having the same issue that I'm having, and VW has not stepped up after the initial repair and solved the problem. Many are die hard VW owners that have had VW vehicles for years.