Used 2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Extremely Reliable
By David Kay

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Bought it in Jan. 2014 with 9,000 miles. It's now March 2015. I have put about 13,000 miles on it in that time. Not one service call. Not one single issue. Not one broken part. Not one headache. Not one single problem. (i sure hope I don't jinx myself). The car just works and goes and goes. The car is well built. Super quality and tremendous build quality. Not one single nightmare, not one single issue. Nothing. The car just works. Its such a pleasure to drive. I'm 6'1 about 250lbs and was considering on bumping up to the Touareg TDI , but I am so scared because this car just doesn't have any issues. Super happy with this vehicle. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Dependability. Confidence in the car. Everything works, as designed. Always just goes and goes, no issues. Excellent fuel economy. Average about 43 on the Highway and about 32 city at worst case. I mainly drive highway miles. The car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. The car is extremely dependable. Everything works and it's never had one service issue or problem. Cannot say enough about the excellent build quality. I just hope the other vehicles in the Volks line-up are of the same quality. I am considering bumping up to the Touareg, but am afraid of not having the same level of satisfaction. This car is just been a super fantastic pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats. Where are the 8-way or 12-way power seats? We need more than just reclining. Have it as an option. Most people would gladly pay for this. I would suggest the only other thing is to have the GTI package available for the Diesel cars. Why not? The Europeans have the GTD. Why doesn't America? I could never understand this. I may upgrade to the 2015 Golf TDI, because it has more of the "creature comforts" that one would expect. All the bells and whistles that are not available in model year 2013. Oh, but did I mention the reliability, build quality, and dependability? You can never under-state how important that is. If you want zero headaches, then buy this car.

Does What You Need
By bigal11

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

34K miles. I love the agility and solid planted feel of this car. Made in Munich, much more substantial feel than my '12 Jetta. Great power delivery. Average 40mpg. Gets 48 @65, 39 @ 80, 36 in town. Prefer these cloth seats to Jetta's "pleather". I have little to complain about except this DSG tranny. My wife thinks it is unsafe, and I can't argue much. There's a 1-2 second lag before anything happens at takeoff which really throws your timing off compared to anything else you've driven. Also, Beware!! the $500+ tranny service every 40k miles. I really regret this purchase and would gladly trade it for the 6sp.

Favorite Features

Very solid feel at high speeds. (Lots of open road here, freeway speed limit 80.) Great for Idaho snow, even with the stock tires. I almost never get out the Bronco anymore. Good trunk space. Teens are OK with the back seats.

Suggested Improvements

I strongly suggest avoiding the DSG transmission. It ruins what would otherwise be a very enjoyable driving experience. Steering wheel buttons too easily activated accidentally, particularly the phone button. I wish I could disable it.

Very Happy- VW Golf TDI
By hamahowa

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car back in November 2013 to replace a 2002 Acura TL. Very happy I did. The fuel economy is outstanding- averaging 34 MPG with about 95% city driving. Easily getting over 42 MPG on the highway. Huge upgrade from the 20 MPG I was getting from the Acura. The ride comfort is amazing considering the small wheel base. The seats are outstanding and incredibly comfortable on long trips. The engine is smooth but gets a little loud when pressed hard. Not a big deal. The paddle shifters are fun to use allow for quick passing maneuvers when needed. The DSG transmission is great and works very well. I usually prefer manual transmissions but this one is just that good.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, ride comfort, fun to drive.

Room for the Linebacker
By rbthatcherjr

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this VW Golf TDI in Jacksonville, FL in May 2013 after driving it and inspecting it on a hydraulic rack in dealer's garage. It drives exceptionally well as it exudes this rock-solid feel of German build-quality as well as the odd diesel clatter. The comforts are spartan, but there is more than enough head and leg room for me and my friends. After driving it 11k and experiencing the good dealer support for the car at Osteen VW, I would highly recommend the VW Golf TDI based upon its performance, price, and apparent quality.

Favorite Features

The mileage that the car attains per gallon of diesel fuel is exceptional for me in mixed city/highway driving. I regularly hit 38-40 mpg even at a constant 65 mph cruising speed. The low end torque plus the turbo charger perform masterfully in rally-style driving, which is needed in Jacksonville to get by the zombies... I also like the utility of the drop seat for packing the car full of things like a clown car.

Suggested Improvements

The parts for the vehicle are very expensive. I replaced an alloy rim and tire after brushing a city curb. The dealer price was triple what I was expecting to pay. Solution? Ebay! I found a used rim and bought a tire elsewhere and had the dealer put it on. There isn't prestige in high prices in a competitive market: VW needs to re-evaluate its prices for parts. A leather option would have been interesting as well as more variety in colors offered on the car.

2013 Volkswagen Golf TDI w/ DSG automatic
By dak971

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just purchased the vehicle and love it! The car is extremely fun to drive. One of the main reasons was the TDI option providing over 42+ MPG which is just phenom. I was used to getting about 17Mpg-23Mpg at best in a previous vehicle. Time to go more economical and practical. The car is 4 doors and White. Looks just sweet and awesome. Really a fun car and there are so many pluses about this model.

Favorite Features

Shift paddles. How awesome is this? Just so much fun. Lots of torque, the car really moves and it's super nimble too. Very great in corners and handling. Excellent visibility. Great stereo and interior is really nice. DSG cannot be understated. One of the best transmissions i've ever driven. Just excellent. Fuel economy is extraordinary. I love getting over 40+ MPG !!

Suggested Improvements

Side bolsters on the seats are pretty tight. Also, I prefer 8 way adjustable seats instead. I would even pay for this as an option. This is a must-have.