2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Room for the Linebacker
By rbthatcherjr on 04/03/14 09:02 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this VW Golf TDI in Jacksonville, FL in May 2013 after driving it and inspecting it on a hydraulic rack in dealer's garage. It drives exceptionally well as it exudes this rock-solid feel of German build-quality as well as the odd diesel clatter. The comforts are spartan, but there is more than enough head and leg room for me and my friends. After driving it 11k and experiencing the good dealer support for the car at Osteen VW, I would highly recommend the VW Golf TDI based upon its performance, price, and apparent quality.

2013 Volkswagen Golf TDI w/ DSG automatic
By dak971 on 02/17/14 20:20 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just purchased the vehicle and love it! The car is extremely fun to drive. One of the main reasons was the TDI option providing over 42+ MPG which is just phenom. I was used to getting about 17Mpg-23Mpg at best in a previous vehicle. Time to go more economical and practical. The car is 4 doors and White. Looks just sweet and awesome. Really a fun car and there are so many pluses about this model.

2010 Golf TDI Endures
By berner on 02/13/14 15:28 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Those of you with new Golf TDI's, you did the right thing! I bought mine new in May 05 and am constantly reminded that I did the right thing! City/highway mpg is 37/43. On interstates with the cruise at 77-mph, I average 43-mpg. On secondary roads with cruise at 60-mph, I average 45-mph! Have had NO warranty issues - a well-built car!

Golf TDI (DSG auto)
By thedude12 on 10/25/13 17:40 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car strictly for fuel savings and putting a lots of miles. The car far surpasses the rated 30mpg/city, I get routinely over 35mpg city. This is a heck of a car, well built, quiet and quick, very well equipped as well. I got the 3 year free maintenance. and a 0% finance for up to 72 months through Volkswagen financing. I also got the car for $500 below invoice so I know I scored. I am currently saving about $150.month just on gas alone(diesel), I am doing over 1000 miles/month and like I said the savings are significant.

Fun and Efficient
By nova_1 on 09/22/13 10:29 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Test drove: Passat TDI, Accord, Camry Hybrid, Audi A3 TDI, Acura TL... Love Audi A3 TDI fun ride and look, but too expensive. Almost bought Golf TDI on the first test drive, but prefer to wait for 2015 Golf TDI/2014 Mazda 3. I test drove Passat TDI 2 weeks later, end up bought a 2013 Golf TDI with huge discount. No regret. After 25+yrs with Japanese mid-size sedans, very happy with my first German car. High fun factor, quick acceleration, great steering and road feel, quiet at cruising, good brakes. 36-38mpg suburb, 43-51mpg on highway. Larger/quieter/cheaper than A3 TDI, with high quality interior. Sport tires can be noisy on very coarse road. Later, have to go for a drive now.. :)

Great Car
By beefoe on 07/15/13 13:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased this car four months ago and have about 12,000 miles on it. Very enjoyable to drive and car has exceeded nearly all expectations. Don't be fooled by the 140 HP rating. The diesel engine is super torquey and it has loads of power when you need it. Won't blow anyone off the line but has great pickup through the 40-80 mph which makes highway passing very easy. Handling is excellent and the car is great fun to drive. My wife has an Audi A4 and prefers the Golf. Interior design is good, but I wish they'd offer a leather seat option. But I guess if they did, it would canibalize audi a3 sales.

Took a risk.
By bbbb1983 on 06/04/13 00:07 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I came from a Subaru Legacy that was averaging 20mpg. I took a risk and went to my local VW dealer and test drove a number of vehicles. I was hesitant to purchase a diesel, but once I drove the TDi I was hooked. I do a lot of highway driving and this car rides like a dream. On top of that I average 49 mpg. I can creep up to 51 mpg if I don't use AC. City driving it ll hold consistently at 36.5 mpg. My insurance company even gave me a substantial discount for coverage because of the economy of this car.

EPA Has Neutered this Car
By bigal11 on 02/04/13 18:27 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Wonderful build quality, ride, and handling. Uses 25% more fuel than my '01. About the same MPG's as my kids' '08 Civic and '12 Elantra GT, which use 15% cheaper fuel. DSG is much nicer than anticipated for a guy who usually only buys manuals, but I don't relish the thought of the very expensive tranny fluid change at 40K miles, notably just outside the free factory service interval. This car is pricey, no doubt. You pay for the structural rigidity and interior finish quality. Fr a long term car it is worth it. Do not trust stated invoice. I paid fifteen hundred under, or twenty five thousand flat after two other dealers dropped out of the bidding. The invoice is well padded from factory.

3K mi in - 2 months
By j33ie on 11/30/12 11:07 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I did my homework to get my wife an economical car that would be an upgrade to her horrid corolla. Went with the TDI due to its track history. Fuel economy is better than EPA estimates. Driving it is smooth, fun and flawless. My wife loves to push its acceleration abilities. Handles brilliantly. Brakes are solid. The displays are great and intuitive. Bluetooth audio is pretty sweet as well -they don't advertise that feature. I like driving it more than my Saab 9-3 2.0T except for the fact that it is red. This car beats many Audi's in price and comfort (same maker, I know). Overall, the best car I have owned and one of the few I would buy new due to its high resale value.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in VA is:

$165 per month*