Used 2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Groovy Golf
By Clair Langmaid

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned this Golf for 3 1/2 years and the only problem, which is a big one, is the well-publicized diesel emission control scandal. I get low 30s gas mileage in town and nearly 50 MPG on the road, which is great. I'm probably going to trade it for a gas powered VW since I've had great luck with the VWs and Audis over the years. I still don't know for sure what VW is going to do about the emission problem. If an inexpensive fix would be available, I'd probably keep it. It's a blast to drive.

one of the best cars on the road everyone loves it
By steven mckay

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

love this car, and my son does too. i am almost 300 pounds and stand 6 foot 4. i fit in it just fine and so can three other men my size plus my son loves it. the mpg is amazing. get the tune intake and exhaust done and you'll get over 50mpg.

pros: everything from mpg to comfort handling and over all quality.

cons: the transmission needs to be serviced every 40000 and its expensive. if you don't get the transmission tuned with an aftermarket tune you'll notice a hesitation for half a second when going from a stop to pulling out in traffic. depending on your driving style could be dangerous. the aftermarket tune corrects this issue or if you like to leave your car stalk just drive safer.

Extremely Reliable
By David Kay

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Bought it in Jan. 2014 with 9,000 miles. It's now March 2015. I have put about 13,000 miles on it in that time. Not one service call. Not one single issue. Not one broken part. Not one headache. Not one single problem. (i sure hope I don't jinx myself). The car just works and goes and goes. The car is well built. Super quality and tremendous build quality. Not one single nightmare, not one single issue. Nothing. The car just works. Its such a pleasure to drive. I'm 6'1 about 250lbs and was considering on bumping up to the Touareg TDI , but I am so scared because this car just doesn't have any issues. Super happy with this vehicle. Highly recommend.

Reliability. Dependability. Confidence in the car. Everything works, as designed. Always just goes and goes, no issues. Excellent fuel economy. Average about 43 on the Highway and about 32 city at worst case. I mainly drive highway miles. The car is the most reliable car I've ever owned. The car is extremely dependable. Everything works and it's never had one service issue or problem. Cannot say enough about the excellent build quality. I just hope the other vehicles in the Volks line-up are of the same quality. I am considering bumping up to the Touareg, but am afraid of not having the same level of satisfaction. This car is just been a super fantastic pleasure to drive.

Power seats. Where are the 8-way or 12-way power seats? We need more than just reclining. Have it as an option. Most people would gladly pay for this. I would suggest the only other thing is to have the GTI package available for the Diesel cars. Why not? The Europeans have the GTD. Why doesn't America? I could never understand this. I may upgrade to the 2015 Golf TDI, because it has more of the "creature comforts" that one would expect. All the bells and whistles that are not available in model year 2013. Oh, but did I mention the reliability, build quality, and dependability? You can never under-state how important that is. If you want zero headaches, then buy this car.

Does What You Need
By bigal11

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

34K miles. I love the agility and solid planted feel of this car. Made in Munich, much more substantial feel than my '12 Jetta. Great power delivery. Average 40mpg. Gets 48 @65, 39 @ 80, 36 in town. Prefer these cloth seats to Jetta's "pleather".
I have little to complain about except this DSG tranny. My wife thinks it is unsafe, and I can't argue much. There's a 1-2 second lag before anything happens at takeoff which really throws your timing off compared to anything else you've driven. Also, Beware!! the $500+ tranny service every 40k miles. I really regret this purchase and would gladly trade it for the 6sp.

Very solid feel at high speeds. (Lots of open road here, freeway speed limit 80.) Great for Idaho snow, even with the stock tires. I almost never get out the Bronco anymore. Good trunk space. Teens are OK with the back seats.

I strongly suggest avoiding the DSG transmission. It ruins what would otherwise be a very enjoyable driving experience. Steering wheel buttons too easily activated accidentally, particularly the phone button. I wish I could disable it.

Very Happy- VW Golf TDI
By hamahowa

2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this car back in November 2013 to replace a 2002 Acura TL. Very happy I did. The fuel economy is outstanding- averaging 34 MPG with about 95% city driving. Easily getting over 42 MPG on the highway. Huge upgrade from the 20 MPG I was getting from the Acura. The ride comfort is amazing considering the small wheel base. The seats are outstanding and incredibly comfortable on long trips. The engine is smooth but gets a little loud when pressed hard. Not a big deal. The paddle shifters are fun to use allow for quick passing maneuvers when needed. The DSG transmission is great and works very well. I usually prefer manual transmissions but this one is just that good.

Fuel economy, ride comfort, fun to drive.