Great value and it's like owning a "Mac" car
By sinoproject on
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Bought this car at the beginning of July 2012 and have taken it from Vancouver, BC to SF, and back. Great gas economy: the longer I drove, the better mileage I got, at the end averaging 19 Km/liter (44.69MPG) with the AC on 70% of the time. The entire trip I filled up 4 tanks. That's with quite a bit city driving in the Bay area. Very comfortable even for this long haul trip. My kid was in a booster with the centre arm rest down, drink in the cup older, snacks near by. Her iPad linked to the stereo via Bluetooth and got sensational sound for her games. My wife sat next to her the whole trip & neither of them complained about lack of room or comfort. Driving it gives youa lot of confidence.
Favorite Features
The built is solid and the drive is damped and smooth. Love the torque. Had to overtake a few big trucks on I5 and man that was fun. We took on the the twisty roads in the Redwood area and it was even better. The design has staying power, understated and timeless. It feels like a Mac in the car world: solid, stable and yet aesthetically pleasing in a subtle manner. The control consol very easy to use. Never had a single issue linking with our phones. And having the SD card reader is great. We literally have 500+ CDs worth of music into one SD card. Everyone was happy. The trunk was large enough to fit 4 small suitcases, two backpacks, a small cooler and more room for smaller bags.
Suggested Improvements
The back windows could be tinted. The back wash nozzle links sometimes and more vents would help in the back seats to make the AC distributed better. But those are minor, non-performance related.