4 Door Golf
By danjv on
2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I've owned this car for just a couple weeks, but I can already tell this is the great car I hoped it would be. It doesn't come with the most features, it doesn't get the best gas mileage, and it doesn't have the most back seat room. But if you want a car that makes you say "Ahhhhhh" every time you get in and can't spend $35k, get a Golf. Think of it like the iPhone of the car world: the best designed, most well executed, solid-feeling car you can buy for the money. Drive this, then drive something else - you'll be frustrated. The engine is smooth and surprisingly powerful. The transmission is good, but regular mode is a bit economy minded - Sport mode is where I leave it most of the time.
Favorite Features
Information display, 8-way adjustable front seats, adjustable center arm rest, auto up/down windows all around, Rolex-like gauges, cooled glove box, the best steering in any car (ever), transmission sport mode: all the little things you buy a Volkswagen for.
Suggested Improvements
The seat bolsters are great while cornering, but they are a bit over-bolstered for highway cruising. One feature I wish it had is auto headlights. The manual-shift mode in the transmission is a little to nanny-ish (won't hold the redline, etc.). Could use a bit more interior storage. The performance of the standard wheels and tires is underwhelming, so I highly recommend upgrading to a set of 17 inch wheels. I drove both and it makes a world of difference, so I did and have not regretted it. The ride is still great on the highway.
By lenny25
on 06/17/13 05:40 AM (PDT)

Hi, I need your opinion, I am trying to buy a Golf w/Convenience package and also wants to upgrade the wheels and tires, so what is your experience on driving standard wheel versus upgraded as far as performance, cornering ability? Did you but the car with optional wheels/tires or you put your own wheels and tires ? I also noticed road noise riding on standard tires. What is your thought about having convenience package ? it is really worth it ? Thank you.

By skater69
on 03/18/14 12:26 PM (PDT)

Couldn't agree more with this review. Spot-on. Drive a Golf, you'll understand. Also to Lenny25.....even though it's an old post, by all means get 17" wheels mounted on sticky performance tires.....I got mine on tirerack.com. Well worth it. A little noisy but you get used to it quickly...barely noisier than stock tires/wheels. I don't have the convenience package....don't miss or need it.