Used 2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Great Car...but it's like an iPhone
By volvogirl5

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was torn between a Golf and the Ford Focus. Ultimately, the interior detail and materials sold me on the Golf. It looks like an Audi on the inside (especially at night!). My cloth seats are comfortable and ergonomically correct. I can fit 4 adults in the car without it feeling cramped. Currently getting approx 315 miles per tank. It's really a quality vehicle. The only downside is that my service light has come twice in the past year that I've owned it. The computer on the vehicle needed an update. Although the updates are free at VW, its time consuming and annoying. Service guy told me its like owning an iphone and there's no warning when you might get the light.

Interior is classy and looks like an Audi. Nice stereo system. Love the way you open the hatchback (it looks really cool and impresses people). Cloth seats are durable and comfortable.

Service light issue! I get that cars now have computers on them. But the computer updates are time consuming. Also, when the service light comes on for an update, the car doesn't drive as well. Once I turned the car off and on (like a computer) and the service light went away and it fixed itself. Nevertheless, I still went to the dealer to get the update. They said its normal and its like an iphone. So if that's not your style, I would avoid a current model VW. He says it happens to all the cars.

4 Door Golf
By danjv

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for just a couple weeks, but I can already tell this is the great car I hoped it would be. It doesn't come with the most features, it doesn't get the best gas mileage, and it doesn't have the most back seat room. But if you want a car that makes you say "Ahhhhhh" every time you get in and can't spend $35k, get a Golf. Think of it like the iPhone of the car world: the best designed, most well executed, solid-feeling car you can buy for the money. Drive this, then drive something else - you'll be frustrated. The engine is smooth and surprisingly powerful. The transmission is good, but regular mode is a bit economy minded - Sport mode is where I leave it most of the time.

Information display, 8-way adjustable front seats, adjustable center arm rest, auto up/down windows all around, Rolex-like gauges, cooled glove box, the best steering in any car (ever), transmission sport mode: all the little things you buy a Volkswagen for.

The seat bolsters are great while cornering, but they are a bit over-bolstered for highway cruising. One feature I wish it had is auto headlights. The manual-shift mode in the transmission is a little to nanny-ish (won't hold the redline, etc.). Could use a bit more interior storage. The performance of the standard wheels and tires is underwhelming, so I highly recommend upgrading to a set of 17 inch wheels. I drove both and it makes a world of difference, so I did and have not regretted it. The ride is still great on the highway.

I love my car!
By denicep1

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I spent six months researching cars before subscribing to Consumer's. They had listed the Golf as the number 1 hatchback. I had looked at one before, but someone had told me they heard from a friend that they weren't really good cars, so I stopped considering them. But I decided to get a quote to see what I could buy one for. I was really impressed with the price quote (less than invoice) so I went to test drive. It drove like a dream and had everything I was looking for in a car. I even got 1.84% for five years. In the end it was a no-brainer: great car for a great price. I've only had it five weeks, but I love it so far.

A lot of power for a small car. Handles well. Interior is better quality than other cars I looked at in that price range. Good stereo with Sirius.

None

happy so far
By willie3051

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first VW and the 2012 Golf is impressive. The car is very comfortable and handles well. On it's first long trip, I averaged 33 mpg of mostly highway miles.

This car has a traditional exterior, interior and dashboard design as compared to other 2012 small hatchbacks and I really appreciate that.

First and second gears are quite low with a huge jump to third. Also, fifth gear is very high giving 1800 rpm at 60 mph and a downshift is neccesary for highway passing.

Great Car To Drive
By aom1

2012 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I got the 4 door hatchback with the base 2.5 engine. Like most VWs this is a driver's car. It's still built in Germany. Great feel on the road, very comfortable seats and a sophisticated feeling suspension. Very little road/wind noise. I have been getting around 27 mpg with mostly hwy driving. This powertrain has enough pep for my needs while still using regular gas. There's lots of room with the seats folded down. VW still has great lease rates if you can negotiate.

Phone integration. Automatic trans with "S" mode stays in gears longer which is great in heavy traffic where you have to accelerate quickly, or going downhill to save brakes. Feels very solid, comfortable and quiet.

No leather option available for my trim. Rear seat leg room cramped for adults.