2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Fun to drive, mileage is a bonus
By homelessgdog1 on 12/21/13 12:28 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Golf TDI handles well. We don't get much rain and we don't get any snow here in Los Angeles. In what rain I have driven in, the Golf does well with OEM Conti's. Brakes are great, handles great. People talk about stiff, well my other car is a Dodge Cummns truck so Golf is an improvement. Great visibility from all windows, Bluetooth works pretty good, radio (non dyna) is good for stock. I use my Ipod and when I want directions, I use Bluetooth to hear phone Navi (non navigation head unit). Fun factor very high. Fuel mileage incredible.

So far, so good
By graham_line on 07/19/13 16:51 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After 15 months and 17000 miles, car still feels like new. Plenty of room for two people and very comfortable on 600-700 mile days. Fuel economy is averaging in low 40s for a highway/city mix.

12 TDI
By ronsulli on 03/09/13 01:45 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it my TDI new mid july . its at 29,000 miles , i love driving it , great car wouldn't trade it . 9.5 out of 10 . get one you'll love it takes you every where , on a dime of diesel . from El Paso to Houston and back 150 bucks in diesel ! around 1500 miles .

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By diggler2 on 01/31/13 19:56 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Golf TDI brand new and I could not be happier with the car. From its handling, to its power, to its amazing fuel efficiency it is the whole package. It truly drives like a solid European car but at half the cost. I have owned Toyota's, Honda's, Jeeps, Chevy's and this VW golf is by far my happiest purchase. I bought the top of the line Tech package and it is in my opinion worth the extra cost. The tech package comes with an incredible sounding Dynadio stereo as well as navigation, LED running lights, and xenon headlights. Definitely will consider purchasing another in 15 years when this one finally wears out....

2012 VW Golf TDI
By chasda on 12/16/12 10:42 AM (PST)

My previous car was a 2008 civic EXL. It was economical, dependable transportation, strictly point A to point B. I wanted to move up to something more competent, more fun to drive. I researched all the cars in the compact class. I compared power, performance and economy. Although all had something to offer, I felt the Golf TDI was a step ahead. The blend of performance, economy and build quality is unmatched in this segment. The diesel has a lot of torque and a broad power range, the DSG transmission blends perfectly, acceleration and passing are a breeze. The ride is solid, and handling is precise. Road noise is minimal, it has the feel of a much more expensive car. Sound system is awesome.

Simply Awesome!
By txst on 12/04/12 21:29 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This Golf TDI is a lot of fun to drive and fits like a glove. The torque is surprisingly strong and peppy. I love the looks of this car inside and out. Who needs an ugly prius when VW offers this Golf with 45 MPG. This is the fourth VW I have purchased (I have previously owned a Jetta TDI, a Passat, and a CC) and this one just might be my favorite out of the four. I highly recommend this car.

Great value and it's like owning a "Mac" car
By sinoproject on 08/26/12 22:37 PM (PDT)

Bought this car at the beginning of July 2012 and have taken it from Vancouver, BC to SF, and back. Great gas economy: the longer I drove, the better mileage I got, at the end averaging 19 Km/liter (44.69MPG) with the AC on 70% of the time. The entire trip I filled up 4 tanks. That's with quite a bit city driving in the Bay area. Very comfortable even for this long haul trip. My kid was in a booster with the centre arm rest down, drink in the cup older, snacks near by. Her iPad linked to the stereo via Bluetooth and got sensational sound for her games. My wife sat next to her the whole trip & neither of them complained about lack of room or comfort. Driving it gives youa lot of confidence.

Delighted with the performance, not the interior
By tedmontreal on 08/16/12 10:53 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Overall I am extremely happy with this purchase, and the engine in particular has exceeded my expectations. I drove it brand-new (TDI) from Montreal to Chicago, with mostly highway driving and got a total _average_ of 49 + miles per gallon (4.7 litres / 100km), with peak segments getting 57 mpg. This was mostly at ~70 mph, and without cruise control. I took a little detour for curves and hills while on the trip and yes, the torque and the suspension is impressive. My only quibbles are the interior: my elderly (extremely skinny) dad said that after an hour of sitting the seats were uncomfortable for him, easily solved with a thick extra cushion. However, see my suggested improvements below.

Love my cute car!
By rebby1 on 07/30/12 21:11 PM (PDT)

I've had the car for 2k miles so far and I've loved every minute of it! Not only is it entertaining to drive, it is practical with a decent trunk and roomy cabin, it rides well, and it gets amazing mileage! So far I'm averaging 41.6mpg with about 1/4 highway, 1/4 city, and 1/2 suburban driving. And I'm not a slow driver either! I can fit my kids in the car with baggage for a 1 week trip without any problems, or a day's worth of activities and gear, all while leaving my work bag in the car. The Golf has enough pickup that I don't worry about passing or merging and a tight enough suspension to corner well and avoid accidents.

Great ride
By lspeed1983 on 07/03/12 20:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased this car on 01/31/2012. The car now has 5.8K on the clock, so it's past it's first stage break-in-period. I'm now averaging 39.7K overall in mixed driving, but can easily hit 48 MPG cruizing at 72 MPH @ just under 2K RMPs. I can't believe how powerful it feels while still being so fuel efficient. The shifter feels solid and well weighted, the clutch is light without being too light, and the steering is direct / tracks well. The car as a whole is vastly superior to anyother eco compact non-lux car also evident in it's simple yet top-notch interior. For pure driving excitement the GTI wins hands down, but the TDI is a nice compromise that leaves me with no regrets.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in VA is:

$130 per month*