2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2012 Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun to drive, mileage is a bonus
By homelessgdog1

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Golf TDI handles well. We don't get much rain and we don't get any snow here in Los Angeles. In what rain I have driven in, the Golf does well with OEM Conti's. Brakes are great, handles great. People talk about stiff, well my other car is a Dodge Cummns truck so Golf is an improvement. Great visibility from all windows, Bluetooth works pretty good, radio (non dyna) is good for stock. I use my Ipod and when I want directions, I use Bluetooth to hear phone Navi (non navigation head unit). Fun factor very high. Fuel mileage incredible.

Favorite Features

Great torque. I don't think people understand how much power is in this little turbo diesel. Very fun commuter car. 25K miles in 16 months. Radio, Bluetooth, touchscreen is great. Seats okay. I'm a big critter. Heated seats great. I haven't found too many negative things about car except little VW logo centercaps on rims have all fallen off. I don't get it, I've own at least a dozen cars and this has never happened to anyone of them. You won't regret this little beast. If you miss having fun while driving buy this little Golf TDI.

Suggested Improvements

Something that keeps those centercaps on rims. What is the deal. Why on God's green earth does the AC light and compressor come on all the time when you don't press the AC button? Who's idea was that? The only time this light should come on is when you want the AC on, not when moving the vent selector knob.

So far, so good
By graham_line

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After 15 months and 17000 miles, car still feels like new. Plenty of room for two people and very comfortable on 600-700 mile days. Fuel economy is averaging in low 40s for a highway/city mix.

Favorite Features

Far better seats than Focus and Mazda 3, and completely adjustable. High quality interior and logical dash layout

12 TDI
By ronsulli

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it my TDI new mid july . its at 29,000 miles , i love driving it , great car wouldn't trade it . 9.5 out of 10 . get one you'll love it takes you every where , on a dime of diesel . from El Paso to Houston and back 150 bucks in diesel ! around 1500 miles .

Favorite Features

heated sets , diesel miles !

Suggested Improvements

more HP !

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By diggler2

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Golf TDI brand new and I could not be happier with the car. From its handling, to its power, to its amazing fuel efficiency it is the whole package. It truly drives like a solid European car but at half the cost. I have owned Toyota's, Honda's, Jeeps, Chevy's and this VW golf is by far my happiest purchase. I bought the top of the line Tech package and it is in my opinion worth the extra cost. The tech package comes with an incredible sounding Dynadio stereo as well as navigation, LED running lights, and xenon headlights. Definitely will consider purchasing another in 15 years when this one finally wears out....

Favorite Features

The DSG auto/manual transmission is quick and fun. The diesel 2.0 is surprisingly powerful as well with 250 ft/lb of torque plus I'm averaging about 44 MPG. Now that I own a European designed car it would be very difficult to go back. I was always against buying European cars due to maintenance costs but this Golf is practically maintenance free and with the first three years paid maintenance through VW it can't be beat. I definitely suggest at least test driving one if your in the market for a fuel efficient car that is also fun to drive and stylish. Thats what I did after test driving what felt like a million different cars this Golf TDI put the others to rest. Awesome car!!

Suggested Improvements

Only suggested improvements I would say are better cup holders as well as "Auto" on/off headlights. Small stuff but would be cool since the car has pretty much everything else.

2012 VW Golf TDI
By chasda

My previous car was a 2008 civic EXL. It was economical, dependable transportation, strictly point A to point B. I wanted to move up to something more competent, more fun to drive. I researched all the cars in the compact class. I compared power, performance and economy. Although all had something to offer, I felt the Golf TDI was a step ahead. The blend of performance, economy and build quality is unmatched in this segment. The diesel has a lot of torque and a broad power range, the DSG transmission blends perfectly, acceleration and passing are a breeze. The ride is solid, and handling is precise. Road noise is minimal, it has the feel of a much more expensive car. Sound system is awesome.

Favorite Features

Handling, suspension, diesel engine, DSG transmission, sound system, navigation. sport seats, Overall quality interior, Avg 39 MPG in mixed driving,

Suggested Improvements

Make leather interior an option. Dual exhaust.

Simply Awesome!
By txst

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This Golf TDI is a lot of fun to drive and fits like a glove. The torque is surprisingly strong and peppy. I love the looks of this car inside and out. Who needs an ugly prius when VW offers this Golf with 45 MPG. This is the fourth VW I have purchased (I have previously owned a Jetta TDI, a Passat, and a CC) and this one just might be my favorite out of the four. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

I really like the reflex silver exterior and the titan black cloth interior. The MPG's are crazy good! The fit and finish is fabulous for this price range. So fun to drive compared to toyotas and/or hondas (in my opinion).

Suggested Improvements

I would like it if this car came with Auto Hold (like my 2010 CC). Auto Hold comes in real handy during traffic jams. Overall...great job VW, I am a happy owner of a 2012 Golf TDI.

Great value and it's like owning a "Mac" car
By sinoproject

Bought this car at the beginning of July 2012 and have taken it from Vancouver, BC to SF, and back. Great gas economy: the longer I drove, the better mileage I got, at the end averaging 19 Km/liter (44.69MPG) with the AC on 70% of the time. The entire trip I filled up 4 tanks. That's with quite a bit city driving in the Bay area. Very comfortable even for this long haul trip. My kid was in a booster with the centre arm rest down, drink in the cup older, snacks near by. Her iPad linked to the stereo via Bluetooth and got sensational sound for her games. My wife sat next to her the whole trip & neither of them complained about lack of room or comfort. Driving it gives youa lot of confidence.

Favorite Features

The built is solid and the drive is damped and smooth. Love the torque. Had to overtake a few big trucks on I5 and man that was fun. We took on the the twisty roads in the Redwood area and it was even better. The design has staying power, understated and timeless. It feels like a Mac in the car world: solid, stable and yet aesthetically pleasing in a subtle manner. The control consol very easy to use. Never had a single issue linking with our phones. And having the SD card reader is great. We literally have 500+ CDs worth of music into one SD card. Everyone was happy. The trunk was large enough to fit 4 small suitcases, two backpacks, a small cooler and more room for smaller bags.

Suggested Improvements

The back windows could be tinted. The back wash nozzle links sometimes and more vents would help in the back seats to make the AC distributed better. But those are minor, non-performance related.

Delighted with the performance, not the interior
By tedmontreal

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Overall I am extremely happy with this purchase, and the engine in particular has exceeded my expectations. I drove it brand-new (TDI) from Montreal to Chicago, with mostly highway driving and got a total _average_ of 49 + miles per gallon (4.7 litres / 100km), with peak segments getting 57 mpg. This was mostly at ~70 mph, and without cruise control. I took a little detour for curves and hills while on the trip and yes, the torque and the suspension is impressive. My only quibbles are the interior: my elderly (extremely skinny) dad said that after an hour of sitting the seats were uncomfortable for him, easily solved with a thick extra cushion. However, see my suggested improvements below.

Favorite Features

The hill-hold assist is very useful while I'm learning the clutch (this is my first manual); the amount of storage space is breathtakingly good - I fit two 6.5 foot posts in the back (diagonally), and my mountain bike; the seat for me was very comfortable over multiple 9-hour drives. The 'door pockets' hold a lot of CDs. The gear shift is perfectly weighted and smooth and the dials and readouts are very logical and readable.

Suggested Improvements

The interior is very pretty but it's a hot useless mess to use. First the main media panel shows only the time when off, and the dealer says no customization is possible for the big screen in the middle there. More important, there's extremely little place to put stuff, all the cubbies are spread into wierd non-sensical compartments; only two cupholders which require twisting your arm to use; and the sun-shades are both too small and recessed, i.e. hard to pull out. It would be great if the front seat could fold flat to provide more storage. I would like a dedicated change bin as well, and think VW could steal a lot from its competitors. This is a car made to drive, not to ride in.

Love my cute car!
By rebby1

I've had the car for 2k miles so far and I've loved every minute of it! Not only is it entertaining to drive, it is practical with a decent trunk and roomy cabin, it rides well, and it gets amazing mileage! So far I'm averaging 41.6mpg with about 1/4 highway, 1/4 city, and 1/2 suburban driving. And I'm not a slow driver either! I can fit my kids in the car with baggage for a 1 week trip without any problems, or a day's worth of activities and gear, all while leaving my work bag in the car. The Golf has enough pickup that I don't worry about passing or merging and a tight enough suspension to corner well and avoid accidents.

Favorite Features

Decent cargo space for a small car. Comfortable reasonably quiet ride for a relatively economical car. Nice amount of leg room. Lots of storage space and a cooled glovebox! Great fun confidence inspiring suspension. Wonderfully flexible engine that can accelerate well in regular driving but still gets great mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Allow us to customize the options instead of restricting the buyer to packages. (e.g. I didn't need the navigation but wanted the sunroof.) Could use a bit larger trunk. The MDI attachement sometimes is unable to resume playing my music on my phone after I use it to make a call. I have to re-plug it to recognize it. Annoying!

Great ride
By lspeed1983

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I purchased this car on 01/31/2012. The car now has 5.8K on the clock, so it's past it's first stage break-in-period. I'm now averaging 39.7K overall in mixed driving, but can easily hit 48 MPG cruizing at 72 MPH @ just under 2K RMPs. I can't believe how powerful it feels while still being so fuel efficient. The shifter feels solid and well weighted, the clutch is light without being too light, and the steering is direct / tracks well. The car as a whole is vastly superior to anyother eco compact non-lux car also evident in it's simple yet top-notch interior. For pure driving excitement the GTI wins hands down, but the TDI is a nice compromise that leaves me with no regrets.

Favorite Features

The 3 level heated seats, heated washer nossles, and heated side mirrors - key since a diesel takes longer to warm up than a gasser. Even as a base model, it comes more equiped than the top spec 2.5 Golf for the US.

Suggested Improvements

Offer the USA leather seats and the true torque monster trim; the GTD.