Used 2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Fun to drive, mileage is a bonus
By homelessgdog1

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Golf TDI handles well. We don't get much rain and we don't get any snow here in Los Angeles. In what rain I have driven in, the Golf does well with OEM Conti's. Brakes are great, handles great. People talk about stiff, well my other car is a Dodge Cummns truck so Golf is an improvement. Great visibility from all windows, Bluetooth works pretty good, radio (non dyna) is good for stock. I use my Ipod and when I want directions, I use Bluetooth to hear phone Navi (non navigation head unit). Fun factor very high. Fuel mileage incredible.

Favorite Features

Great torque. I don't think people understand how much power is in this little turbo diesel. Very fun commuter car. 25K miles in 16 months. Radio, Bluetooth, touchscreen is great. Seats okay. I'm a big critter. Heated seats great. I haven't found too many negative things about car except little VW logo centercaps on rims have all fallen off. I don't get it, I've own at least a dozen cars and this has never happened to anyone of them. You won't regret this little beast. If you miss having fun while driving buy this little Golf TDI.

Suggested Improvements

Something that keeps those centercaps on rims. What is the deal. Why on God's green earth does the AC light and compressor come on all the time when you don't press the AC button? Who's idea was that? The only time this light should come on is when you want the AC on, not when moving the vent selector knob.

So far, so good
By graham_line

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After 15 months and 17000 miles, car still feels like new. Plenty of room for two people and very comfortable on 600-700 mile days. Fuel economy is averaging in low 40s for a highway/city mix.

Favorite Features

Far better seats than Focus and Mazda 3, and completely adjustable. High quality interior and logical dash layout

12 TDI
By ronsulli

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it my TDI new mid july . its at 29,000 miles , i love driving it , great car wouldn't trade it . 9.5 out of 10 . get one you'll love it takes you every where , on a dime of diesel . from El Paso to Houston and back 150 bucks in diesel ! around 1500 miles .

Favorite Features

heated sets , diesel miles !

Suggested Improvements

more HP !

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By diggler2

2012 Volkswagen Golf Diesel 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Golf TDI brand new and I could not be happier with the car. From its handling, to its power, to its amazing fuel efficiency it is the whole package. It truly drives like a solid European car but at half the cost. I have owned Toyota's, Honda's, Jeeps, Chevy's and this VW golf is by far my happiest purchase. I bought the top of the line Tech package and it is in my opinion worth the extra cost. The tech package comes with an incredible sounding Dynadio stereo as well as navigation, LED running lights, and xenon headlights. Definitely will consider purchasing another in 15 years when this one finally wears out....

Favorite Features

The DSG auto/manual transmission is quick and fun. The diesel 2.0 is surprisingly powerful as well with 250 ft/lb of torque plus I'm averaging about 44 MPG. Now that I own a European designed car it would be very difficult to go back. I was always against buying European cars due to maintenance costs but this Golf is practically maintenance free and with the first three years paid maintenance through VW it can't be beat. I definitely suggest at least test driving one if your in the market for a fuel efficient car that is also fun to drive and stylish. Thats what I did after test driving what felt like a million different cars this Golf TDI put the others to rest. Awesome car!!

Suggested Improvements

Only suggested improvements I would say are better cup holders as well as "Auto" on/off headlights. Small stuff but would be cool since the car has pretty much everything else.

2012 VW Golf TDI
By chasda

My previous car was a 2008 civic EXL. It was economical, dependable transportation, strictly point A to point B. I wanted to move up to something more competent, more fun to drive. I researched all the cars in the compact class. I compared power, performance and economy. Although all had something to offer, I felt the Golf TDI was a step ahead. The blend of performance, economy and build quality is unmatched in this segment. The diesel has a lot of torque and a broad power range, the DSG transmission blends perfectly, acceleration and passing are a breeze. The ride is solid, and handling is precise. Road noise is minimal, it has the feel of a much more expensive car. Sound system is awesome.

Favorite Features

Handling, suspension, diesel engine, DSG transmission, sound system, navigation. sport seats, Overall quality interior, Avg 39 MPG in mixed driving,

Suggested Improvements

Make leather interior an option. Dual exhaust.