2012 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Great Car...but it's like an iPhone
By volvogirl5 on 04/06/14 12:40 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I was torn between a Golf and the Ford Focus. Ultimately, the interior detail and materials sold me on the Golf. It looks like an Audi on the inside (especially at night!). My cloth seats are comfortable and ergonomically correct. I can fit 4 adults in the car without it feeling cramped. Currently getting approx 315 miles per tank. It's really a quality vehicle. The only downside is that my service light has come twice in the past year that I've owned it. The computer on the vehicle needed an update. Although the updates are free at VW, its time consuming and annoying. Service guy told me its like owning an iphone and there's no warning when you might get the light.

Fun to drive, mileage is a bonus
By homelessgdog1 on 12/21/13 12:28 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Golf TDI handles well. We don't get much rain and we don't get any snow here in Los Angeles. In what rain I have driven in, the Golf does well with OEM Conti's. Brakes are great, handles great. People talk about stiff, well my other car is a Dodge Cummns truck so Golf is an improvement. Great visibility from all windows, Bluetooth works pretty good, radio (non dyna) is good for stock. I use my Ipod and when I want directions, I use Bluetooth to hear phone Navi (non navigation head unit). Fun factor very high. Fuel mileage incredible.

So far, so good
By graham_line on 07/19/13 16:51 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

After 15 months and 17000 miles, car still feels like new. Plenty of room for two people and very comfortable on 600-700 mile days. Fuel economy is averaging in low 40s for a highway/city mix.

12 TDI
By ronsulli on 03/09/13 01:45 AM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I got it my TDI new mid july . its at 29,000 miles , i love driving it , great car wouldn't trade it . 9.5 out of 10 . get one you'll love it takes you every where , on a dime of diesel . from El Paso to Houston and back 150 bucks in diesel ! around 1500 miles .

Best Car I Have Ever Owned
By diggler2 on 01/31/13 19:56 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Tech Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Golf TDI brand new and I could not be happier with the car. From its handling, to its power, to its amazing fuel efficiency it is the whole package. It truly drives like a solid European car but at half the cost. I have owned Toyota's, Honda's, Jeeps, Chevy's and this VW golf is by far my happiest purchase. I bought the top of the line Tech package and it is in my opinion worth the extra cost. The tech package comes with an incredible sounding Dynadio stereo as well as navigation, LED running lights, and xenon headlights. Definitely will consider purchasing another in 15 years when this one finally wears out....

4 Door Golf
By danjv on 01/15/13 12:03 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for just a couple weeks, but I can already tell this is the great car I hoped it would be. It doesn't come with the most features, it doesn't get the best gas mileage, and it doesn't have the most back seat room. But if you want a car that makes you say "Ahhhhhh" every time you get in and can't spend $35k, get a Golf. Think of it like the iPhone of the car world: the best designed, most well executed, solid-feeling car you can buy for the money. Drive this, then drive something else - you'll be frustrated. The engine is smooth and surprisingly powerful. The transmission is good, but regular mode is a bit economy minded - Sport mode is where I leave it most of the time.

2012 VW Golf TDI
By chasda on 12/16/12 10:42 AM (PST)

My previous car was a 2008 civic EXL. It was economical, dependable transportation, strictly point A to point B. I wanted to move up to something more competent, more fun to drive. I researched all the cars in the compact class. I compared power, performance and economy. Although all had something to offer, I felt the Golf TDI was a step ahead. The blend of performance, economy and build quality is unmatched in this segment. The diesel has a lot of torque and a broad power range, the DSG transmission blends perfectly, acceleration and passing are a breeze. The ride is solid, and handling is precise. Road noise is minimal, it has the feel of a much more expensive car. Sound system is awesome.

Simply Awesome!
By txst on 12/04/12 21:29 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This Golf TDI is a lot of fun to drive and fits like a glove. The torque is surprisingly strong and peppy. I love the looks of this car inside and out. Who needs an ugly prius when VW offers this Golf with 45 MPG. This is the fourth VW I have purchased (I have previously owned a Jetta TDI, a Passat, and a CC) and this one just might be my favorite out of the four. I highly recommend this car.

I love my car!
By denicep1 on 09/02/12 07:48 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I spent six months researching cars before subscribing to Consumer's. They had listed the Golf as the number 1 hatchback. I had looked at one before, but someone had told me they heard from a friend that they weren't really good cars, so I stopped considering them. But I decided to get a quote to see what I could buy one for. I was really impressed with the price quote (less than invoice) so I went to test drive. It drove like a dream and had everything I was looking for in a car. I even got 1.84% for five years. In the end it was a no-brainer: great car for a great price. I've only had it five weeks, but I love it so far.

Great value and it's like owning a "Mac" car
By sinoproject on 08/26/12 22:37 PM (PDT)

Bought this car at the beginning of July 2012 and have taken it from Vancouver, BC to SF, and back. Great gas economy: the longer I drove, the better mileage I got, at the end averaging 19 Km/liter (44.69MPG) with the AC on 70% of the time. The entire trip I filled up 4 tanks. That's with quite a bit city driving in the Bay area. Very comfortable even for this long haul trip. My kid was in a booster with the centre arm rest down, drink in the cup older, snacks near by. Her iPad linked to the stereo via Bluetooth and got sensational sound for her games. My wife sat next to her the whole trip & neither of them complained about lack of room or comfort. Driving it gives youa lot of confidence.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Golf in NJ is:

$220 per month*