2011 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: hot hatchback fun, very well p

2011 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

hot hatchback fun, very well put together car!
By tzo on

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I sold off my 2005 Prius due to excessive road noise and it being the most boring car ever in the world to drive. What to get instead? I had rented a TDI Golf in Italy early in Dec 2010 and absolutely loved it's performance on the autostrada. By end of Dec I had found my Golf 4dr auto TDI with all the right options. Drove it from Phoenix dealer to our San Jose home, 13 hours straight. Never had so much fun driving. The Golf is smooth at 100mph as it is at 55mph. The seats are comfy with lots of lateral support. The stereo with six months of free Sirius kept us company on the I40. The diesel engine's torque and DSG tranny couple nicely at all speeds, city or highway. Torque is plenty!

- Excellent bluetooth implementation. Streams stereo high quality audio from my Droid X. Pairing is instant. - Seats are really nice with good hip and back support. I am 6'4" and the seat goes back farther than I can use, and there is more headroom than I can use. - Dynaudio option is well worth it - Ride is very smooth. Steering feel is quite good. - Electronics user interface is quite satisfactory. You can control everything from the steering wheel.

- More road noise shielding would have been great. On rough roads at high speed the noise is a bit tiring. - comfort entry, auto headlights, HomeLink would have been options I gladly paid for, but don't exist. PDC too would have been nice.
By flbntz
on 02/14/11 03:55 AM (PST)

I also traded a Prius on my 2010 Golf gas. I only had the Prius 3 months, and, after the novelty of its futuristic syling, and hybrid coolness wore off, it was boring to drive. Tinny, hollow feeling. Drivers floormat begining to wear through already where your heel goes for the gas pedal. Everything felt cheap inside. Wasn't planning on trading it, I liked it despite the above, but my brother, who has a ten year old Passat, was looking at the deisel, so I drove one, I'd been remembering my first new car, a 1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle, and I wound up buying one, albeit a gas engine, I couldn't afford the deisel, and he still has his Passat. I like it. Fahrvegnugen!