Great car, hindered by high price and defective cloth on seats
By a_n1 on
2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I really want to like this car. It has great mpg, seems to perform OK, however what's killing my endorsement is the vehicles seats and fabric. The seats are highly bolstered sport seats, which is fine, but the waffle-like texture of the cloth has proven to be defective. I have severe fraying and premature wear on the side bolster on the driver's seat as well as the seat back. VW is supposedly ordering me new seat covers and will install at the 10k service. Posts all over the Internet indicate that this is a pretty universal problem with all 2010 and 2011 Golfs. This fabric is a nightmare.
Favorite Features
Great mileage, fast performance, terrific handling. Supposed resale value.
Suggested Improvements
VW is going to have a major problem with these cars if they cannot find a fabric that will wear. My family has had VW's for years, most with cloth seats and never had this problem. If the seats start to wear at 5k, how are they going to look at 50k. I'm getting the typical VW of America runaround on trying to correct the problem. As much as I really want to love this car, there is no excusing seats that do not hold up to every day use especially before the 10k mark. There are no amount of MPGs that will make me keep this car past it's warranty period.
By robt5017
on 06/29/11 20:11 PM (PDT)

@bpollen Just like everything else in life, no car is going to be perfect. If the only major gripe this guy has about his Golf TDI is the cloth on the seats getting frayed, I'd say that's a pretty impressive car. Bottom line: stop looking for perfection because you'll never find it. If you're really interested in this car, test drive it. You'll know if it's the car for you afterwards, frayed cloth seats be damned!

By tomsimmonds
on 05/12/11 12:41 PM (PDT)

when you decide to replace the seats, why not order two leather ones for the front and pay the difference. Well worth it.

By bpollen
on 05/15/11 16:10 PM (PDT)

This is very worrisome to someone like me, who is considering buying the Golf TDI. I keep my vehicles longer than most, and I've never had a problem with cloth upholstery looking frayed. What is even worse is if they are giving you the runaround. You said that they are going to replace your upholstery, then you said they are giving you the runaround, so I don't understand...are they going to replace the defective upholstery at their cost? I have dogs; one of the reasons I'm consider the Golf TDI (and the Hyundai Elantra Touring) is that I can get adjustable seats & other accessories w/o having to get leather seats ("dogs and leather don't go together"). Though my dogs aren't in the car very often, the seats still need to hold up to a couple of dogs in the car occasionally, as well as me driving the car every day. I drive a '98 Subaru Forester; the upholstery looks almost as good as the day I bought it. That's what I'm looking for. Maybe the cost of upholstery has skyrocketed, because Subaru's Forester upholstery has gone downhill, too. It was so ugly and didn't look sturdy that I just couldn't justify buying the car. I'm going to have to research this. Sigh. Every time I think I get close to finding THE new car, I find out something that kills it.

By flbntz
on 02/14/11 03:47 AM (PST)

I have a 2010 Golf base model 2-dr gasoline, coming up on its 20,000 mile service, and I have no such problems with the seats. I love it!