What a great little car!
By mbloof on
2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I was shopping Mini Coopers and other small economical hatch backs when I decided to try out the Golf TDI. It handles like a go-cart, feels like a mid-size, nice and quiet inside, rarely 'sounds like a diesel', plenty of power - you REALLY have to watch as its easy to speed in this car. Mine came with: DSG Auto, HID headlights and touch screen sound. I really was not looking for 'flappers' on the steering or 3 way shifting tranny (auto, sport auto and manual/auto) however I'm very pleased with the DSG even leaving it in "D" %99 of the time. It shifts smoothly without jerkyness. The TDI is a bit surprising - most of the time feels like a gas engine - other times some 'turbo lag'.
Favorite Features
I really like how solid and quiet the car is. It feels like I'm driving a much larger and heavier car except this thing hugs the road like glue! The fuel mileage is in the TOP 5 reasons to get this car. The back seats are actually usable and not an after thought for insurance rate reasons. I think it compares well with a friends 300 series BMW. I've streamed audio from my Cell phone and plugged in an ipod into the dedicated interface in the center compartment. The 8 speaker 6CD Stereo sounds very good (I'm very picky). Even large & Tall friends find the front passenger seat comfortable and easy to get in/out of. The seats have a fair amount of adjustment available.
Suggested Improvements
My #1 complaint is the lack of rain gutters. Leave ether window cracked in the rain and expect to have a FLOOD of water run in the car when you go around corners. The IPOD interface is over hyped - you don't have the song/artist/playlist selection control that you'd have via the ipod itself. I'm short (5'3") and finding a good seat adjustment took a bit of time. My right leg ventures to lay against the center console. The ergonomics for smaller drivers has a bit to be desired - I have to reach BACK to the cup holders. There are so many buttons on the steering wheel that its easy to activate one by accident while simply turning the wheel.