Used 2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Best Car I have ever owned...
By tzo

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Summary: I own an '09 M3, but prefer to drive this '11 Golf TDI. Great exterior style, very comfy seats (I am 6'4") with great side support for back and hips. Audio quality is great... get the Dynaudio option. Very fun to drive... the torque hits like a 2 stroke motocross bike... at all RPMs. Very fun to corner around free way ramps... Holds family of four quite comfortably. I had a significant collision within weeks of buying it... and the front end got crushed, but the engine was 100% OK, and the subframe wasn't touched. So the VW front end collision system absorbs hits very well.

Bluetooth stereo streaming from phones (Droid X in my case) is reliable and perfect quality. Steerable headlights is nice option. The diesel is fantastic... I get 35mpg just driving without care... if I drive carefully on freeway I can hit 40-45mpg. Nav/radio screen is a touchscreen! Very nice.

Can't think of anything to fix here... this car is near perfect.

Fun and frugal !
By veniero

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have enjoyed my VW during the first 1,000 miles. Very fun to drive, seems to be very well built. In country roads (average speed 35-45 mph) I get 38-42 mpg! I traded in a BMW X3, which got 18-19 mpg under the same conditions. Handles beautifully, love the audio system (Dynaudio). Very comfortable front seats (I am 6'1") I had previously looked at the Prius, Ford Fusion and Lexus CT and they don't come close as far as handling and fun factor.

Fuel economy, handling, torque, audio system with iPod adapter.

This is a great highway cruiser
By msita

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Just got this 2011 Golf TDi last month and it has been an amazing car so far. The ride is very german, firm but still comfortable. The bluetooth streaming and phone feature pairs instantly. The touch screen audio system is awesome. Great sound with no subwoofer. We also have a 2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDi with 30,000 miles on it and reliability has been great. I'm expecting the same with the Golf. I commute between Irvine and San Diego and I consistently average 48 mpg cruising at 65 mph.

Bluetooth, dynaudio, touchscreen display, quality, and ride

The front wheels kick up a lot of dirt onto the side of the car, I need to purchase splashguards in the near future.

Corrosion on engine
By lvanderlinde

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Purchased new 2011 Golf TDI 4/30/11 and was excited to bring it home. Unfortunately, The engine had moderate corrosion on all aluminum parts. Unclear as to how this occurred. May have been exposed to sea water during shipment from Germany. Big disappoinment.

exterior design

Leather interior, more upgrade options.

Corrosion on engine
By lvanderlinde

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a new 2011 golf 4 door TDI on May 30, 2011 from a central coast dealership and when I brought it home and inspected it, I discover that the engine had moderate corrosion on all aluminum parts. Unsure how the corrosion occurred on a new car, but buyer beware. This car is shipped from Germany and the protection from the sea water may have been compromised.

exterior design

leather interior, review view camera