Used 2011 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Best Bang for Your Buck
By nmcrusher26

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've driven 8 beaters in my life (trucks and cars) then a 2008 BMW 335i and then this Golf 2.5 gas, manual, 3DR hatch and this car is a solid 4.5/5.
I dont write reviews but this car is so good I had to. I've owned for 2 years and it has 40k miles on it.
The engine, interior, and styling make this car.
Gas mileage is incredible even above sticker, I consistently get 31 mpg mixed use and I drive it hard.
This car is a great value cause the comparable honda or subaru is $3-5k more.
You may have costly repairs or quirky electronic issues at the 8 year/100k mark but you saved that money in the front end.

Incredible gas mileage (I drive it hard and get 31 mixed use). The I5 2.5L is a beast. I can be lazy and make turns in 3rd and lug right out from 800 rpm or burn onto highways at 65mph still in second. Interior is great with great sound system. Bluetooth works well. Roomy in back for adults. the 60/40 rear seats enables me to pack it with outdoor gear and x3 adults into the mountains of CO with no issues. Great field of vision with minimal blind spots.

-The clutch travel is extremely long and I've driven box trucks to F150s with less clutch travel. the extreme travel can create knee and ankle fatigue. I havent asked dealer if there are adjustments yet. -steering is loose. it isnt horrible, but the new electric steering motors in all new cars gives diminishes road feel. -Car is pretty bad in the snow without snow tires. I've lived in the NE and CO with plenty of experience. Light weight and loose steering makes it difficult to drive in snow without snow tires. -Paint chips easily, I think there is a recall for it. These minor flaws cannot compare to the positives. It's a sick car.

Fun for a while...
By carrdrivr

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Fun with utility thanks to its hatchback nature, but it does fall short in a few ways that may be a deal breaker for some.

Road noise - It may be the result of being a small hatch' or the fact that there seems to be no sound insulation, but the interior of this car is loud.
When I say loud, I mean very loud.
Driving over concrete or rough pavement will make you plead for mercy.

Quality:
The soft materials are nice but the construction is lacking.
Interior rattles abundant, loud engine noises, suspension squeaks and creaks, thin paint (chips constantly).

Comfort: Nice sport seats but uncomfortable on long drives.

Deal Breaker:
25mpg (hwy+city) in a small car (VW can do better).

Fun factor

-Fix the (door, dash, headliner) squeaks and rattles. -Insulate the engine better. -Fix the paint thickness/hardness. -Please, please, please add sound insulation. -Time to update the engine for better mpg (I think VW is doing so in the next version golf/gti MK7).

Big Car in Little Car Body
By gaveedub

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our family was looking to add a 3rd car(teenage driver) and we wanted an economical and versatile small car.
After searching all over we discovered VW through consumer reports and a great, patient salesman.
I am a big man(6'4") and the Golf appears to be the smallest car we drove but it is a magic car, more interior room than it appears.
Our family of 4 fits comfortably, even with the dog.
Completed a 6 hour road trip with minimal complaining from the family.
It is great fun to drive.
Great handling with great power on the highway.
In fact it is the highway/autobahn driving that separates this car from others in the size class.

Mileage for normal city/highway mix is 35mpg and improving. Accelleration in traffic. Great sound system with iPad interface. Great Bluetooth and hands free phone features. Big car ride at high cruising speeds, very smooth and quiet.

Seats: Would love to see leather seat option. Could be a bit wider. More cabin storage options. Under seat drawers are available but would like to see them standard.

Love the mileage
By mered

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had a problem the first week with a sensor that required a tow to the dealer to have replaced, ("never saw anything like this before") and a recall to replace a minor part a few weeks ago.
Thus the 4 vs 5 for depedability. Otherwise, this has been a wonderful car.
Bought it with gas mileage in mind, and get 38 around town, 48 - 52 on the highway, depending on how far I drive.
I'm a conservative driver.
When needed, it has plenty of power.
Fits both me (5'10") and my 6'2" husband comfortably.
Only thing I'd do differently is get a 4 door.
So much easier for passengers.

The instant mpg readout. Change readout with buttons on steering wheel to get all pertinant info and make phone cals. The voice activated phone on the steering wheel is a luxury I wouldn't want to do without. Love the look, the hatchback for loading stuff. Keep the back seats down most of the time and it holds almost everything I need to haul.

Don't like the instruction manual. Find it hard to get the information in an easy to understand format. Salesperson at the dealership got the phone info loaded. Would never have been able to do it following manual.

Why consider anything else?
By audivin

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my '11 Golf 3 door Manual transmission straight out of college.
Prior to making this decision, I tested many similarly priced compact cars like the Dodge Caliber, Various Hondas, and even some subarus.
While I really liked the Subaru's and had a hard time deciding between the two, the VW Golf was simply in another league.
This is probably the best compact car on the us market for the price.
The interior and exterior build quality and craftsmanship are excellent and there are no rattling noises.
I have put 17,000 miles since I purchased the car in June of 2011.
Thats right, 17000 already.
This car handles/performs exceptionally well.
At all speeds it feels secure/ planted.

I average 26mpg in the city and 34-37 on the highway. With my cruise set on 80mph, I can get a consistent 33mpg!! The manual transmission is the best I've ever used. The clutch is smooth and the shifter feels mechanical, there is never any question whether it is in gear or not, you can feel it. My favorite "feature" is the performance. I mix about 50/50 city and highway. In town(New Orleans) it is a dream. It fits anywhere I put it, drives well in stop/go traffic, parks easily, absorbs bumps surprisingly well for a compact car and, most importantly, feels solid and enjoyable to drive. Acceleration is quick, esp. with the manual, and performance is surprising.

I wish the 4 door came with a manual transmission. I wanted a 4 door, but I REALLY wanted the MT. So I settled for the 2 door. The functionality is great regardless. The hatch opens taller than my 6'2" height. Also, the driver and passenger doors open to 90 degrees. While this feature may not seem like much, it helps when loading cargo and vacuuming interior. Unfortunately the doors are longer since there are only two and they cannot be opened fully when in a parking space. In fact you must be careful bc there are essentially three open rest positions for the door and the outer two may hit parked cars. My only complaint is that my miles rack up too quickly, it begs to be driven.