2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
one of the best
By johnlewisgrant on 08/01/13 04:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Sold the lexus, kept the golf. Smoother, better on bumps, much better on highway, handling is vastly superior, reliability is equal or better (that's been our experience). Es 350 is slightly quieter, but the handling and ride are demonstrably inferior.

Best Bang for Your Buck
By nmcrusher26 on 04/06/13 20:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've driven 8 beaters in my life (trucks and cars) then a 2008 BMW 335i and then this Golf 2.5 gas, manual, 3DR hatch and this car is a solid 4.5/5. I dont write reviews but this car is so good I had to. I've owned for 2 years and it has 40k miles on it. The engine, interior, and styling make this car. Gas mileage is incredible even above sticker, I consistently get 31 mpg mixed use and I drive it hard. This car is a great value cause the comparable honda or subaru is $3-5k more. You may have costly repairs or quirky electronic issues at the 8 year/100k mark but you saved that money in the front end.

Fun for a while...
By carrdrivr on 09/01/12 18:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Fun with utility thanks to its hatchback nature, but it does fall short in a few ways that may be a deal breaker for some. Road noise - It may be the result of being a small hatch' or the fact that there seems to be no sound insulation, but the interior of this car is loud. When I say loud, I mean very loud. Driving over concrete or rough pavement will make you plead for mercy. Quality: The soft materials are nice but the construction is lacking. Interior rattles abundant, loud engine noises, suspension squeaks and creaks, thin paint (chips constantly). Comfort: Nice sport seats but uncomfortable on long drives. Deal Breaker: 25mpg (hwy+city) in a small car (VW can do better).

Why consider anything else?
By audivin on 12/27/11 14:24 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my '11 Golf 3 door Manual transmission straight out of college. Prior to making this decision, I tested many similarly priced compact cars like the Dodge Caliber, Various Hondas, and even some subarus. While I really liked the Subaru's and had a hard time deciding between the two, the VW Golf was simply in another league. This is probably the best compact car on the us market for the price. The interior and exterior build quality and craftsmanship are excellent and there are no rattling noises. I have put 17,000 miles since I purchased the car in June of 2011. Thats right, 17000 already. This car handles/performs exceptionally well. At all speeds it feels secure/ planted.

Great Car
By nealien on 07/24/11 07:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've driven my 2011 Golf 2.5 for 1500 miles now and I can honestly say that I love this car. It is very responsive while driving, and the manual shifter is very smooth. I have been averaging 28 mpg and drive about half highway and half backroads (and I'm driving it fast). The car handles great, hugging corners is easy - the suspension feels very tight. The interior is immaculate - it feels like the interior of a much more expensive car. I'm so glad that I bought this over the comparable Honda Civic.

Golf - fun, solid small car
By jimmyz8 on 06/05/11 09:45 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

After combing through the small car segment - I stumbled upon the Golf, and my decision was made. The combination of economy, styling, quality and driving characteristics were top in its class. My biggest decision was going TDI or EPV. TDI was my first choice, however decided the extra costs weren't worth it.. After owning the car for 5 months I'm still pleased with my choice. The car ride is solid, not a single issue so far. Fuel economy, despite being the gasoline engine - has been excellent. Am averaging 35-38mpg on my daily 12mile commute, and have averaged as high as 43mpg on longer distances. Would buy it again..

Love it!
By oute on 03/22/11 11:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I like everything about this car. The quality of the interior was the first thing that attracted me to it. I sat in one at the Cleveland Auto Show and the highly bolstered seats gave me a very welcoming hug. The trip computer is awesome. It drives even better. The 170hp engine has plenty of power and the exhaust sounds really nice. The manual transmission (I have the 5-speed) is really smooth. Better than on a Civic Si or a Kia Soul (other cars I have experience with). If I drive conservatively I can average 35 mpg on my commute. Only down-side is that I don't think you can open the trunk unless the key is out of the ignition?

Happy to be back with VW again
By flbntz on 02/14/11 04:18 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I had a 1973 VW Super Beetle, my first new car, and, due to driving around with five full size guys in the car, bought a used 69 Ford Thunderbird coupe, the party mobile, Regretted not keeping the VW longer, really solid, well-built car, and fun to drive. Bought a 2010 Toyota Prius in December 2009, and traded it on a 2010 Golf 2dr gas AT 3 months later, due to lack of driving enjoyment when the cool factor of the Prius wore off, and everything became about gas milage with it, which wasn't as good as they advertised. They said it was due to it being winter, and the gas motor needed to run to run the heater, but they don'ttell you that before you buy it. Fahrvegnugen! Like my VW.

Fun little car
By etomic on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After test driving many cars, Honda Accord Coupe, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Civic, Fit, Toyota Corrolla. I settled on the 2011 Golf because I appreciated the lavish interior, I loved the drive, the insurance wasn't killer, and it had a four door option. I really couldn't find anything that was quite as fun to drive as a Golf in this price range. The Surge/Lag effect that was noted in earlier reviews looks like the effect of the normal drive mode up-shifting out of 1st gear to get the best fuel economy. If you truly can't stand it drive it in tiptronic. I really wanted a small compact fun to drive 4 dour and I believe the Golf offered the best interior and most fun to drive for the money.

2011 Golf 4 dr 2.5
By AJD on 10/20/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.5L 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I has this car for about 2 weeks and I and a very peticular about cars. This is the BEST car I have every owned. Its very fun to drive. Very good pick up and handles like its on rails. I opted for the 17 inch dlr installed alloy rims and bought the center armrest. Now car is complete. I shoppped the Mazda 3,Honda Civic,Toyota Corolla. The Golf beat them hands down. If you like to drive buy this car!!!! PS I getting about 25 MPG mixed driving...

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback in WA is:

$169 per month*