Used 2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Love the mileage
By mered

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had a problem the first week with a sensor that required a tow to the dealer to have replaced, ("never saw anything like this before") and a recall to replace a minor part a few weeks ago. Thus the 4 vs 5 for depedability. Otherwise, this has been a wonderful car. Bought it with gas mileage in mind, and get 38 around town, 48 - 52 on the highway, depending on how far I drive. I'm a conservative driver. When needed, it has plenty of power. Fits both me (5'10") and my 6'2" husband comfortably. Only thing I'd do differently is get a 4 door. So much easier for passengers.

The instant mpg readout. Change readout with buttons on steering wheel to get all pertinant info and make phone cals. The voice activated phone on the steering wheel is a luxury I wouldn't want to do without. Love the look, the hatchback for loading stuff. Keep the back seats down most of the time and it holds almost everything I need to haul.

Don't like the instruction manual. Find it hard to get the information in an easy to understand format. Salesperson at the dealership got the phone info loaded. Would never have been able to do it following manual.

Love my TDI
By vicioustrader

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my 2011 VW Golf TDI new on March 19, 2011. I currently have just over 1800 miles. The interior is well designed, friendly, comfortable, stylish and all around enjoyable. The exterior looks are not flashy or exceptional, it is a basic wedge hatchback shaped vehicle. I am am happy with picking this vehicle because of the diesel power supplied by the turbo as well as the economical driving experience. I refer to my car as zippy, she maneuvers well through traffic, great brakes, and the engine is powerful enough to zoom past trouble if need be. The sound system is powerful and clear, the road noise is minimal, and the handling is great. I am averaging about 43mpg so far. :-)

Handling is great, interior is comfortable, mpg exceed expectations, sound is good. I like the whole package!

Longer wheel base would be nice. I am 6'2" and 215lbs, The ride is comfortable even at my size, but I am sure the rear seats are not fully usable. It is essentially a 2 person car if you are tall. Give the back seat 2 or 3 more inches of leg room so I can share my experience with more than 1 person at a time. ;-)

My new commuter car
By scanman11

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Driving 100 miles per day to work & back was not doing anything for me or my 335i. I needed something comfortable and economicle-Diesel seemed to be the best thing. I had just bought a 2011 Jetta for my wife, & loved it. The golf was more fun to drive, and now after 1500 miles I can say that driving across Houston's traffic and getting 46+miles per gallon, makes me happy!! The seats are great for a slightly overweight 5'10" guy, it has all the "Pep" that I need (It supprises me frequently) ok, its not a twin turbo Beemer, but it goes. My only fault with it are the heater controles, which are a little "Cheap" but other than that, I love it. Bravo Volkswagen !!

Media interface with Blackberry, Ipod, sirrus, etc is good quality. MPG is great, It is a comfortable car to in for 31/2 hrs a day (Better than the BMW) Sliding armrest (Jetta doesn't have this)

Better heater controls- use the ones that are on the Jetta

A little expensive but worth it.
By Dan

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

For those wanting a small car without the typical small car cheapness, this is one of the best cars out there! Ever notice how most large cars get the decent materials, features, etc but small ones just get an extra helping of cheap? Not here! You get all the material quality, features, and overall feel of large cars with this one. It also drives like a much more substantial car as well. The 6spd MT doesnt seem to be near as touchy as people let on with the 2010's, and also adds hill holder. The diesel is great feeling like a strong V6 while getting 40mpg+. In fact combined MPG is higher then the EPA rated 42hwy. Costs more then other similar cars, but well worth it.

The diesel! I dont think there is a better combination of power, fun to drive, and MPG out there. Most seem to do only 1 of those aspects well instead of all. The numerous 'hidden' features typical of VW's and the ability to really customize thier operation.

Add parking lights (city lights as they call them) on north american cars. Headlights are either on or off on ours. The base RCD510 radio seems to be watered down and missing features/settings that other markets have for the same radio.