2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Big disappointment
By riptide262 on 06/16/13 14:47 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car was underwhelming. Coming from a 200 HP Saab, I did not mind the weak engine except the manual transmission would fight any attempt to downshift quickly. The heater/AC moved so little air that you were either cold/hot or had to listen to the fan drone away on high. The steering feel was nonexistent. You could not feel the front end break loose on snow. The final straw was a fuel cut off that caused it to die in traffic if short shifted. It was fun to make fun of the driver who stalled in traffic until we were hit from behind because the car would just stop without brake lights. There was no warning. You would be driving in slowing traffic and it would stop.

Big Car in Little Car Body
By gaveedub on 03/01/12 05:16 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our family was looking to add a 3rd car(teenage driver) and we wanted an economical and versatile small car. After searching all over we discovered VW through consumer reports and a great, patient salesman. I am a big man(6'4") and the Golf appears to be the smallest car we drove but it is a magic car, more interior room than it appears. Our family of 4 fits comfortably, even with the dog. Completed a 6 hour road trip with minimal complaining from the family. It is great fun to drive. Great handling with great power on the highway. In fact it is the highway/autobahn driving that separates this car from others in the size class.

Love the mileage
By mered on 12/29/11 11:36 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had a problem the first week with a sensor that required a tow to the dealer to have replaced, ("never saw anything like this before") and a recall to replace a minor part a few weeks ago. Thus the 4 vs 5 for depedability. Otherwise, this has been a wonderful car. Bought it with gas mileage in mind, and get 38 around town, 48 - 52 on the highway, depending on how far I drive. I'm a conservative driver. When needed, it has plenty of power. Fits both me (5'10") and my 6'2" husband comfortably. Only thing I'd do differently is get a 4 door. So much easier for passengers.

What a great little car!
By mbloof on 11/13/11 07:55 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was shopping Mini Coopers and other small economical hatch backs when I decided to try out the Golf TDI. It handles like a go-cart, feels like a mid-size, nice and quiet inside, rarely 'sounds like a diesel', plenty of power - you REALLY have to watch as its easy to speed in this car. Mine came with: DSG Auto, HID headlights and touch screen sound. I really was not looking for 'flappers' on the steering or 3 way shifting tranny (auto, sport auto and manual/auto) however I'm very pleased with the DSG even leaving it in "D" %99 of the time. It shifts smoothly without jerkyness. The TDI is a bit surprising - most of the time feels like a gas engine - other times some 'turbo lag'.

Fuel Efficient Family Friendly Fun
By soflotdi on 09/12/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a 4 door Golf TDI with automatic (DSG) transmission in late July (2011). I've just passed the 2000 mile mark and so far I have been thrilled with the TDI. I'm 6'5" tall and find the driving position more comfortable than that of my Honda Accord. There is plenty of room for a family trip, and the rock solid build quality and quiet interior make it a pleasure to drive long distances. It handles like a go-cart and the diesel torque provides abundant passing power. To date I am averaging 35mpg in miced City/Hwy driving. [violative content deleted]

All the praise is true!
By racerjae on 08/13/11 15:40 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned my TDI 4-dr manual for two months (2500 miles), and it has been a delight to say the least. The fuel economy is unsurpassed (averaging 36 mpg city/hwy). The ride is firm but very compliant (soaks up bumps). The handling is sports car like (very little body roll). There's plenty of acceleration. The exterior styling is simple yet elegant, sporty yet practical. I've gotten compliments from pedestrians when I'm parked. The interior is very upscale (feels like I'm in a BMW/Mercedes). Despite its short wheelbase and length, there's plenty of leg room front and rear. This car is worth every penny!

Just bought... Amazing Vehicle
By djali79 on 08/06/11 20:15 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is an amazing vehicle. MPG is huge and it feels like you are driving a far more expensive car, especially at night when you can see the illumination of the cockpit. Customization options abound - love the details, like being able to adjust the lighting level of the footwell area. Just one example of getting what you pay for. This is my first german vehicle and I think I am sold on VW moving forward if they can offer these types of products moving forward. You will not be sorry if you buy this car!

For mpg/power mix there's nothing better
By rickallen on 07/15/11 14:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I traded in an Audi A4 which was costing $$$ at the pump w only 22 mpg. I previously had a VW diesel and longed for its combo of power and efficiency that the Audi was unblanced on. VW makes a great car. Design is well above the rest of the class with clean lines and a very plush interior for the price. Puzzling, though, is VW"s decision to disable features in the software that were previously there such as comfort closing windows, coming home lights, etc that just take a check of a box in the system. How much $$ can you save by just not checking a box? That said, mpg's are great, passing power is there, utility is there, and it looks nice. Hard to complain.

Golf Highline Wagon TDI Standard Transmission
By tomsimmonds on 06/03/11 04:29 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Fantastic car. Tons of power especially bottom end out of the hole grunt. Very quiet, no smoke, no smell. Highway cruising not affected by crosswinds. No wind noise. A small amount of road noise which I suspect is caused by the Bridgestone tires but who knows. I purchased four snows on rims so we shall see if road noise is any different. HVAC very efficient and fast to warm up and cool down. If you are over six feet and tall in the torso you wont fit in this car very well. Once you get in it's alright but good luck getting in and out.

Love my TDI
By vicioustrader on 05/11/11 18:44 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my 2011 VW Golf TDI new on March 19, 2011. I currently have just over 1800 miles. The interior is well designed, friendly, comfortable, stylish and all around enjoyable. The exterior looks are not flashy or exceptional, it is a basic wedge hatchback shaped vehicle. I am am happy with picking this vehicle because of the diesel power supplied by the turbo as well as the economical driving experience. I refer to my car as zippy, she maneuvers well through traffic, great brakes, and the engine is powerful enough to zoom past trouble if need be. The sound system is powerful and clear, the road noise is minimal, and the handling is great. I am averaging about 43mpg so far. :-)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in VA is:

$126 per month*