2011 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
one of the best
By johnlewisgrant on 08/01/13 04:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Sold the lexus, kept the golf. Smoother, better on bumps, much better on highway, handling is vastly superior, reliability is equal or better (that's been our experience). Es 350 is slightly quieter, but the handling and ride are demonstrably inferior.

Big disappointment
By riptide262 on 06/16/13 14:47 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car was underwhelming. Coming from a 200 HP Saab, I did not mind the weak engine except the manual transmission would fight any attempt to downshift quickly. The heater/AC moved so little air that you were either cold/hot or had to listen to the fan drone away on high. The steering feel was nonexistent. You could not feel the front end break loose on snow. The final straw was a fuel cut off that caused it to die in traffic if short shifted. It was fun to make fun of the driver who stalled in traffic until we were hit from behind because the car would just stop without brake lights. There was no warning. You would be driving in slowing traffic and it would stop.

Best Bang for Your Buck
By nmcrusher26 on 04/06/13 20:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've driven 8 beaters in my life (trucks and cars) then a 2008 BMW 335i and then this Golf 2.5 gas, manual, 3DR hatch and this car is a solid 4.5/5. I dont write reviews but this car is so good I had to. I've owned for 2 years and it has 40k miles on it. The engine, interior, and styling make this car. Gas mileage is incredible even above sticker, I consistently get 31 mpg mixed use and I drive it hard. This car is a great value cause the comparable honda or subaru is $3-5k more. You may have costly repairs or quirky electronic issues at the 8 year/100k mark but you saved that money in the front end.

Fun for a while...
By carrdrivr on 09/01/12 18:38 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Fun with utility thanks to its hatchback nature, but it does fall short in a few ways that may be a deal breaker for some. Road noise - It may be the result of being a small hatch' or the fact that there seems to be no sound insulation, but the interior of this car is loud. When I say loud, I mean very loud. Driving over concrete or rough pavement will make you plead for mercy. Quality: The soft materials are nice but the construction is lacking. Interior rattles abundant, loud engine noises, suspension squeaks and creaks, thin paint (chips constantly). Comfort: Nice sport seats but uncomfortable on long drives. Deal Breaker: 25mpg (hwy+city) in a small car (VW can do better).

Big Car in Little Car Body
By gaveedub on 03/01/12 05:16 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Our family was looking to add a 3rd car(teenage driver) and we wanted an economical and versatile small car. After searching all over we discovered VW through consumer reports and a great, patient salesman. I am a big man(6'4") and the Golf appears to be the smallest car we drove but it is a magic car, more interior room than it appears. Our family of 4 fits comfortably, even with the dog. Completed a 6 hour road trip with minimal complaining from the family. It is great fun to drive. Great handling with great power on the highway. In fact it is the highway/autobahn driving that separates this car from others in the size class.

Love the mileage
By mered on 12/29/11 11:36 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Had a problem the first week with a sensor that required a tow to the dealer to have replaced, ("never saw anything like this before") and a recall to replace a minor part a few weeks ago. Thus the 4 vs 5 for depedability. Otherwise, this has been a wonderful car. Bought it with gas mileage in mind, and get 38 around town, 48 - 52 on the highway, depending on how far I drive. I'm a conservative driver. When needed, it has plenty of power. Fits both me (5'10") and my 6'2" husband comfortably. Only thing I'd do differently is get a 4 door. So much easier for passengers.

Why consider anything else?
By audivin on 12/27/11 14:24 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased my '11 Golf 3 door Manual transmission straight out of college. Prior to making this decision, I tested many similarly priced compact cars like the Dodge Caliber, Various Hondas, and even some subarus. While I really liked the Subaru's and had a hard time deciding between the two, the VW Golf was simply in another league. This is probably the best compact car on the us market for the price. The interior and exterior build quality and craftsmanship are excellent and there are no rattling noises. I have put 17,000 miles since I purchased the car in June of 2011. Thats right, 17000 already. This car handles/performs exceptionally well. At all speeds it feels secure/ planted.

What a great little car!
By mbloof on 11/13/11 07:55 AM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was shopping Mini Coopers and other small economical hatch backs when I decided to try out the Golf TDI. It handles like a go-cart, feels like a mid-size, nice and quiet inside, rarely 'sounds like a diesel', plenty of power - you REALLY have to watch as its easy to speed in this car. Mine came with: DSG Auto, HID headlights and touch screen sound. I really was not looking for 'flappers' on the steering or 3 way shifting tranny (auto, sport auto and manual/auto) however I'm very pleased with the DSG even leaving it in "D" %99 of the time. It shifts smoothly without jerkyness. The TDI is a bit surprising - most of the time feels like a gas engine - other times some 'turbo lag'.

Fuel Efficient Family Friendly Fun
By soflotdi on 09/12/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased a 4 door Golf TDI with automatic (DSG) transmission in late July (2011). I've just passed the 2000 mile mark and so far I have been thrilled with the TDI. I'm 6'5" tall and find the driving position more comfortable than that of my Honda Accord. There is plenty of room for a family trip, and the rock solid build quality and quiet interior make it a pleasure to drive long distances. It handles like a go-cart and the diesel torque provides abundant passing power. To date I am averaging 35mpg in miced City/Hwy driving. [violative content deleted]

All the praise is true!
By racerjae on 08/13/11 15:40 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have owned my TDI 4-dr manual for two months (2500 miles), and it has been a delight to say the least. The fuel economy is unsurpassed (averaging 36 mpg city/hwy). The ride is firm but very compliant (soaks up bumps). The handling is sports car like (very little body roll). There's plenty of acceleration. The exterior styling is simple yet elegant, sporty yet practical. I've gotten compliments from pedestrians when I'm parked. The interior is very upscale (feels like I'm in a BMW/Mercedes). Despite its short wheelbase and length, there's plenty of leg room front and rear. This car is worth every penny!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Volkswagen Golf in VA is:

$134 per month*