I love this car!
By chuck54633 on
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive. I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking. The rabbit was such a chick car.
Favorite Features
MPG.. I used to get about 18mpg in the gasoline version of the same car in mixed city highway driving. Now I am getting 35 - 38mpg doing the same driving. 1800rpm on the highway. The sound and performance of the turbo diesel engine. This thing is a rocket around town and the manual trans is a joy to operate. The suspension, tires and seats in this car make it feel like a GTI with a diesel engine, it's just the car I wanted and I'm glad they optioned it that way. The blue tooth hands free system is great and I love the steering wheel mounted audio controls.
Suggested Improvements
Touch screen stereo controls are easy enough to use, but have that typical german esoteric quality where I end up having to constantly teach myself how to skip to the next CD in the changer over and over. It should be easier. Something in the door latch/jam area of the car is very noisy and rattly, I'm thinking there must be a TSB about it, I find it very annoying for a car that is so solidly built to squeek and rattle this much. It takes a while to learn to move this car from a stop with the 6spd manual without stalling it. The salesman at the dealership stalled it three times. I have it worked out now, and it's probably just the nature of driving a diesel, they perform differently.