2010 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Review: Outstanding Value/Performance

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Review

2.5L 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Outstanding Value/Performance in Class
By Professor on

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I would disagree with the first reviewer's comments on how quiet the little car is. One of the things I enjoy most about driving the stout and zippy little car is hearing the 5cyl, 2.5L, 270hp engine wind up as I'm manually shifting through the gears. Gone are the days of anemic VW base- model engines; this engine is more than ample. From my research, it's only approx. 1 second slower 0-60mph than the 200hp GTI. What I like about the base model Golf is that it gets its power honestly, via a naturally- aspirated engine (no turbos needed). The ergos and handling are very similar between my Golf and the 2010 GTI I test drove. Being able to run 87 octane instead of premium is a plus too!

Great interior. I've been on a few 150+ mile road trips for work since buying the car, and comfort is great for front riders. Gas mileage is great too for such a powerful little engine.

A sunroof and alloy wheels on the base model would have made the absolute perfect little economy-pseudo- performance compact car. Still, I was able to order take-off alloys and my car looks and rides great. Highly recommended going-green alternative for compact car shoppers! Green yet powerful.