If you find hybrids dull and boring
By StrikingViking on
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
4-door DSG TDIs are very rare where I live, so I flew from Los Angeles to buy mine in Atlanta. Drove it back across the country, and with a heavy foot, A/C, and 11,000 ft mountain passes, I still averaged 39.5 mpg (knowing full well that diesel mpg improves with age). After 4K miles, nothing has gone wrong. My previous car was an '08 HCH, and my TDI has all the same benefits and more (I describe it as "my old car, but with balls"). The torque makes it genuinely fun to drive, and the solid Germanic-ness (esp. the seats) makes it feel like a luxury car. I too have heard stories about VW reliability, but I have seen zero evidence of them so far. Great car, great value, and no regrets.
Favorite Features
Solidity, hatchback practicality, genuinely ample torque that doesn't overwhelm the steering, best seats in its class, compromise of sharp handling and comfortable ride. Even the base stereo is among the best I've heard (and I'm a decently rabid audiophile).
Suggested Improvements
More storage in center console. That's it. If you are eco-conscious and prefer to think of driving as more than an A-to-B political statement, then you really need to consider a Golf TDI. It's a wonderful car, and the very definition of having your cake and eating it too.