2010 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Sort Reviews by

Must drive!
By astropsychic

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have the 2010 2.5L 3-door gas version and it is excellent. It is very practical, spacious, and fast. I got mine used for 6,500 less with no mechanical defects whatsoever. Even with only 3 doors, there is still plenty of space in the back for passengers. It does come standard with heated seats, AC, electric door mirrors, electric windows, two 12v charging slots, and an AUX IN port for your music playing device. The radio is very good and weather resistant. Build quality is very good. Nothing feels cheap or out of place. Even though mine has only 170 horsepower, it can still overtake pretty much anyone and anything on the road. Acceleration is very quick and the noise isn't too loud.

Favorite Features

-Performance (especially in S gear) -30+ MPG (depending on how you drive) -Heated seats -Comfortable ride -Radio -Spacious trunk for groceries and things -Very cool AC system

Suggested Improvements

-Key doesn't open passenger door within two presses. Often have to press it more than once. -Trunk release isn't immediate nor does it always unlock when the rest of car is. -Onboard computer interferes too much in "manual" mode. Very arbitrary and erratic.

Fast, frugal and fun!!!
By jbartuski

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought early December 2012. Had only 27k on the odometer. Mine is a silver 5-speed 2.5L... base everything... only option is the Cold Weather package. So far I absolutely love this thing. It's sharp looking without being too flashy or attracting unwanted attention. Sub 8 second 0-60 times... and a huge grin every time you take a corner. Tiny outside but will swallow giant items. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and economical at the gas pump. No problems to report after 5,000 miles with the car itself. El cheapo standard equipment Conti tires are garbage, and will soon be replaced. They do not hold air in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The MK6 is beautiful in person, substantially more than the MK5s. I'm 6'2" and lanky... and the Golf fits like a glove. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The seats are incredible - the fabric holds you in place during spirited driving, and no fatigue even after hours behind the wheel. Butt warmers are essential for MN winters !!! Stereo sounds great... even with the base head unit that was phased out in 2011. 2.5L motor is a great balance of economy, reliability, and performance. Mk6 is your last chance for a true, Wolfsburg-made Golf.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat access. The 4-door should be available with a manual transmission without spending another $5-10k on a TDI or GTI. VWofA is penalizing stick shift drivers with that model lineup move... which is one of their strongest niche markets. Better OEM tires. Upgrade base stereo - VW did this in 2011. Fuel economy could be better... the MK7's turbo 2.0L will fix this, but at what reliability cost? Ummm... put the lame-duck new Jetta back on the awesome Golf chassis??? =]

20,000 mile update
By fcwarrior

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have been generally amazed at how much I like my Golf TDI. I came from an Audi S4 so less power is very obvious but the diesel torque curve is so good this car is really enjoyable up in the Rockies. MPG is about 36-38 in winter and 38-40 in summer. Longer trips will average 41-44 but I have seen 52 mpg on a 120 mile freeway trip and 5-8 mpg on a really cold morning commute:} I think the Fuel Injection and Engine Management electronics are very rudimentary and you can feel it compensating all the time for hills and other situations. Turbo lag is nothing like as bad as in a Mini but is still very noticeable. Putting it in Sport certainly helps but then mpg plummets.

Favorite Features

The seats especially the driver's are amazingly comfortable and much better than the Recaros in my Audi. However the quality of the cloth seat covers is extraordinarily low quality and had to be replaced at the 10,000 mile service and is now looking quite threadbare now too. Incredible in this day and age and the Dealer says so far it cannot do anything about it again. I only weigh 190lbs too. I would definitely ask your Salesperson about it........this is why I gave it a 1 for build quality. The radio is very good and I didn't get the upgraded one.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously change the seat cloth to one that lasts longer than a few thousand miles Upgrade the Engine Controls

No regrets
By motorstreet

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is a great car, it's roomy, fun to drive, really well built, pretty fast, and incredibly fuel-efficient. I get 43-45 mpg in my commute, mid 50's on the highway (I got 59 mpg recently), and mid 30's in the city. The Golf is surprisingly good in the winter (I put snow tires on it), it got through over foot of snow in my driveway pretty easily last winter. This car constantly surprises me with its talents.

Favorite Features

Everything is easy to use, excellent fuel economy, surprisingly refined engine, quiet, nice transmission, tons of space, great seats, comfortable ride, good steering (it is a little numb), great back seat, very nimble, great visibility, and excellent quality.

Suggested Improvements

Ideally the 170hp 2.0 TDI from Europe, the European GTD's styling would be great, a little weight loss (as long as it doesn't hurt safety), and possibly a 7 speed manual (currently one doesn't exist other than the 991 Porsche 911)

Love - Hate Relationship
By casper42

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This is my very first love-hate relationship and it's with my TDI Golf. VW clearly has design problems. The most dangerous issue is the engine can occasionally lose all power under hard acceleration for 3-5 seconds followed by engine roaring to life with a cloud of white smoke out the tailpipe. VW can not diagnose or replicate complaint, but NHTSA has many complaints of this for the 2009-2010 diesel. The seat fabric is inferior and frays, the clutch on the 6 speed manual is very easy to stall with long clutch travel but very short engagement. I also suspect inferior glass in windshield, as today I have a total of two rock chips and one huge crack...1st crack in 32 years of driving!

Favorite Features

great value for the money, 40+ mpg is great, comfort, performance and handling are superior

Suggested Improvements

quality control clearly needs to improve with VW. The manufacture also appears to have a lack of communication with local dealers. All the complaints above minus the windshield are very common to read about online in forums but dealership claims they never heard of these complaints...or they just don't want to do anything about it. Also this car has a weird door rubber seal/weather stripping problem causing the seals to rub against one another making creaking sounds like a leather jacket. VW solution: lubricate the door seals, but it wipes/rubs off over time.

Far and away the best in class
By vwgolf420

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my third VW. I traded a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, which was a competent car, but having had a 1969 Beetle and a 1997 Jetta before, I felt called back into the VW fold, so to speak. The only car in the class that comes close to offering the same lively character in driving is the Mazda 3, but it lacks the refinement in ride quality. Having had an 03 Mazda Pr5 and the aforementioned Hyundai in between VWs, it's odd seeing that the revs are so low as I'm driving. The ummph comes in low. I'm seeing 25/26 in the city and 31/32 on the highway. Build quality appears impeccable and the material quality is on par with MB, BMW, and, most obviously, Audis in which I've ridden or driven.

Favorite Features

long list... That solid German feel, handling, ride quality, braking, fit & finish, the dash computer, seats are amazingly comfortable, good gas mileage (my first car with more than 4 cylinders), manuverability. I've always loved the Golf for it's quirky looks, but the MkVI is downright handsome.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest.

I love this car!
By chuck54633

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded my 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 4dr in on this car. What an improvement, the interior and exterior changes are great improvements over the '08. The diesel engine was the primary motivation for the change. Who would have thought that a car that gets much better fuel economy would be so much faster and more fun to drive. I like that they changed back to the name golf and made the car more masculine looking. The rabbit was such a chick car.

Favorite Features

MPG.. I used to get about 18mpg in the gasoline version of the same car in mixed city highway driving. Now I am getting 35 - 38mpg doing the same driving. 1800rpm on the highway. The sound and performance of the turbo diesel engine. This thing is a rocket around town and the manual trans is a joy to operate. The suspension, tires and seats in this car make it feel like a GTI with a diesel engine, it's just the car I wanted and I'm glad they optioned it that way. The blue tooth hands free system is great and I love the steering wheel mounted audio controls.

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen stereo controls are easy enough to use, but have that typical german esoteric quality where I end up having to constantly teach myself how to skip to the next CD in the changer over and over. It should be easier. Something in the door latch/jam area of the car is very noisy and rattly, I'm thinking there must be a TSB about it, I find it very annoying for a car that is so solidly built to squeek and rattle this much. It takes a while to learn to move this car from a stop with the 6spd manual without stalling it. The salesman at the dealership stalled it three times. I have it worked out now, and it's probably just the nature of driving a diesel, they perform differently.

10,000 Update
By deusexmaxima

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 10K miles in 7 months (drove from Atlanta, where I bought it, to Los Angeles), I'm happy to say that my TDI has exceeded my expectations. Reliability has been excellent, other than the TPMS warning light that was fixed with a software update. My best mileage has been 52.5 mpg, and the solidity has held up pretty well, even over rough LA freeways. Acceleration is as spirited as ever, and I still marvel at the sport seats every time I sit in them (I'm almost 6'3", and achieving this kind of comfort in a small car is no easy feat). Does anyone (who doesn't have ten kids or weigh more than 400 lbs) really need more than this car offers? In my opinion, no.

Favorite Features

Frugality, seat comfort, versatility of hatchback, and of course, all that torque….a lot of guilt-free fun. The car covers all points of debate favorably, and rarely leaves you with any lingering sense of compromise. That, to me, is the sign of a great automobile.

Suggested Improvements

Better storage in center console.

Great Car
By M.A.

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the car back in July,2010 and love it. It is my very first car and I was deciding between the VW, Honda Civic, Nissan Spectra, and a KIA. I decided to go with VW because of the excellent fuel economy, german engineering, and quality that VW puts into their vehicles. I drive all highway and put approximately 700km/week. Already I have put on 13,000km in 5 months. Car is super quiet. I bought the higher edition with sunroof, touch radio, fog lights, etc.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, I fill up when I get to half a tank of gas, which is between 400-460km, depending on traffic.

Suggested Improvements

It appears there is a design flaw in the driver door. It never seems like it is closed (but it is of course). You just hear the wind from the outside at times. I haven't contacted the dealer yet.

Bestnof both world
By Samberken

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Purchased mine in June to take advantage of Fed incentive. Very happy with the car so far after 3000 miles. Good pick up, good range in city driving, easier access than A3.good leg room, seats are more upright than A3. Only option I took was the xenon light. I find this car has most of the convenience in luxury cars. Tilted tele steering wheel, temporary turn signal, adjustable centre armrest, adaptive light, automatic lock.

Favorite Features

Milage, xenon light with turning feature, upright siting, acceleration, seat material, iPod connection,remote has very long range,white dash light, speed limit alarm

Suggested Improvements

Roof line material seems thin, small item may be hard to retrieve at the back of side pocket, windshield fog up easily, very slow in reading iPod (selecting playlist etc) , plastic steering wheel feel instead of leather, tire has average grip, narrow torque range , glasses storage too small,