2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Excellent desing, questionable quality
By Karaya on 05/26/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought this car after happily driving 95 Golf for 10 years, so this '10 Golf has very big shoes to fill. The car looks sharp, feels very comfortable and very confident on the road. It has just right amount of power not to be sluggish and not to waste fuel at the same time. What I am not so exited about is workmanship quality. It does not live to the hype so far. First, there was annoying air hissing from the door, because the rubber seal does not fit well. The dealer had to tighten the door lock. Then the b-pillars trims started crackling and clicking at ~2k miles. Other people on WV forums also reported water draining issues from the doors. I really hope problems stop here.

A BMW 3 Series disguised as a hatchback
By City Boy on 05/25/10 23:50 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My Tornado Red 4-door Golf is a delight. Drives like a much larger car. Has lots of power and rides/handles great. Amazing but the quality of interior materials is of a $35,000 car. Also, has great stereo sound and rides quietly on the road (more so than my wife's 07 Accord). Test drove most compact hatchbacks and this one is superior, i.e. Hyundani Elantra Touring, Subaru Impreza, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix, Kia Rhondo and a few more. Try it and you'll buy it.

Finally A VW owner
By Pom on 05/11/10 06:46 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've always wanted to own a VW ever since I started driving back in '01, now that I am an owner of the '10 golf I'm very satisfied. First day I put 140 miles with a bright smile on my face, I feel very safe in this car than my Honda Civic Si 2 dr. I do miss driving manual transmission, but its for the best for now.

No brainer
By ticarre on 04/26/10 13:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is a no-brainer if you have the few extra bucks needed to buy it. The comfort level is way above its class, and so is the handling. The engine is peppy enough, yet smooth and powerful. The in-dash computer helps a lot to regulate your driving habits if you want to save on gas.

Best Car I've ever owned
By perkins77 on 04/17/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I recently bought a 4 door TDI and it's the best car I've ever owned (8 other vehicles). The handling is nimble and responsive, and there is plenty of power. The immediate stomp on the accelerator from a dead stop is not as quick as a gti or bmw e46, but it's very good for a diesel and for what you pay for. The mileage is awesome and the ride is smooth. There aren't too many extras, but they are key ones: bluetooth, paddle shift, sport mode, sunroof. I'm 6'6" and have tons and tons of room in the front. Cold weather package is great.

40 MPG plus Fun!
By Dan on 04/17/10 06:47 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We drove a Jetta TDI DSG, not bad but no sports car. The Golf feels much stronger getting on the highway and passing. It handles very well, and my other car is a 370Z. I love the 42 mpg on the first tank, 350 miles on the interstate. I drove an Audi A3 5 door diesel 6 speed Quattro S line in Germany, best rental I ever had, not available in the USA, but the Golf TDI is the next best choice. No blind spots for either a 6' or 5'2" driver. My wife loves the transmission. Diesel is a better solution than hybrids for excellent mpg numbers, the Golf TDI is fun, safe, economic and practical transportation

1300 miles so far
By Fred on 04/12/10 09:23 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Sold 04 Jetta TDI for this. Fun to drive by keeping acceleration in peak torque range around 2500 rpm. Xenon headlights are well worth the $750 upgrade price. Fog lamps automatically light up when turning to assist headlights in sharp turns. EGR valve went out at 750 miles; part should have lasted till 100k easily. One annoying thing is occasional acceleration lag; give a little throttle to move car up some, then maybe 3/4 throttle to jump in traffic and car "stumbles" before turbo spins up enough to boost. Happens not often but enough to be annoying. Common on 3 TDIs I've owned. Hair raising in busy cross traffic. Dunno how VW has not had a class action lawsuit. Fun car nevertheless.

2010 Golf TDI
By Steve on 04/10/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

One of the best cars out there for the money, the performance, the gas mileage is great I'm getting 38.5 mpg around town the and the interior is top notch. Anybody out there looking for a car with great styling, an excellent interior, and has awesome performance while getting great gas mileage should give this car a try you cant go wrong.

Fuel Tank Swooshing Sound
By Marco on 04/02/10 23:54 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Enjoy everything about this car except quality problems. Car door was misaligned when purchased and Fuel tank makes a swooshing sound, when one comes to a stop. Dealer says potential baffles defect and/or other?????

Sweet Little Car
By Bob on 03/28/10 19:53 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have put 6k miles on this Golf TDI and find it very well put together. It handles very well in all kinds of weather, I was very pleased how it handled the snow the first night i drove it home. The Sunroof is very quiet when open. We use the car for commuting 160 miles a day, getting 42 MPG . My wife loves to drive it she likes it much better than the 06 Jetta 2.0T and the 03 GTI we had.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf in VA is:

$134 per month*