Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

VW beat 'em out
By VW

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well after searching for 2 months and driving Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki, the VW Golf made it number one. It was the funnest to drive and had the best ride from my perspective. With traveling almost 90 miles a day, I was looking for Blue Tooth, Cruise and smooth ride. The Mazda was definitely very close and the Toyota was there too (too many recalls). The steering is pretty good. There is some road noise but you hardly feel the bumps. Also there is some hesitation however when in sport with the 6-spd tiptronic you hardly notice it. I drove the Jetta as well, but the ride from my perspective was better in the Golf. Great car. The 2 door was exceptional also.

Favorite Features

The peppy ride, blue tooth, Stereo, Trip Computer, Tiptronic transmission, heated mirrors, heated seats, push gas cap, mat kit, and ride

Suggested Improvements

Get the gas per gallon to 35+, put the controls on steering wheel at this class level, and have alloys include at this level.

Never Look Back
By mrtoad

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've driven this car for five full months now and it has performed beyond my expectations. Around the neighborhood or across the state, wonderful! I initially thought the seats too firm. Negative. I've got a bad back and for the first time in years, I can make a six hour drive and still walk standing straight-up. Performance is excellent for 170 HP motor and the build quality far exceeds the Asian rivals. The quiet on the highway is almost eerie. It is quite amazing how much gear you can store in the cargo area WITHOUT laying the seat-backs down. All of this and the Golf comes with a functional rear seat, 26 mpg in town and 35 on the highway. Such a deal!

Favorite Features

Bluetooth, handling, suspension, power, economy, did I mention Bluetooth, cargo capacity and those wonderful, supportive, firm seats!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement that I can think of(quite minor) would be some of the control labels, ie: sunroof, fan switch, etc. Somewhat difficult to read while driving. Also, a choice of beige interior would be nice..:0)

3300 mile Update
By FCWarrior

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have the cloth standard seat which are very comfortable but several threads are ripping already after only 3300 miles. Incredible. Don't know how this compares to other vehicles but it's a really bad start. I am only 190 lbs and am careful on how I get in and out since I saw this as a potential trouble spot early on. I have yet to take it to the Dealer for the 90 day checkup. If I go even very slowly over neighborhood speed bumps there is a loud metal-on-metal bang as the suspension tops out. The sunroof switch is very counter-intuitive with no obvious detent for 'closed'. So far I get 55 mpg @ 45 mph 43 mpg @55 mph

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seats but very questionable quality since the driver's seat is already showing broken threads at 3300 miles. Very good touch screen sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the appalling low throttle surge when cold and the horrendous delay in full throttle take-offs. Better quality seat, put a detent in the sunroof switch

Texas Tornado (Red)
By Kevin

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have about 1,700 miles on my ride. Love going 500+ miles per tank before even thinking about fueling. Avg mileage since purchase is 41.4 mpg although mostly highway. Best leg on a 31 mile one way commute is 46.8! Plenty of power and if more is needed, all I need to do is downshift. I got the cloth seats...car is comfortable, and remarkably quiet. Summer in Texas has been plenty hot, and the A/C cools fast and keeps me comfortable on low fan. Build quality appears to be rock solid, love my VW!

Favorite Features

The radio...6 stack CD, mp3 connectivity, Sirius Satellite and soft touch buttons for easy operation. Use blue tooth phone through the stereo all the time. Steering wheel controls are easy, and for good mileage, got to love the cruise control. Manual trans is butter smooth with short throws.

Suggested Improvements

I didn't get navigation so I don't have expanded blue tooth functions such as on screen dialing and no ability to store contacts and select on screen that and HD radio would make audio set up perfect. Braking for such a light car could be better, a little mushy when stepping on it really hard.

Volkswagen makes a profit at this price?
By Kris K

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was driving an '08 HCH, and I couldn't help but think something was missing- any sense of driving excitement. I then test-drove this car, and that was it. I can't believe that I'm achieving the same frugality as my previous car, only with a healthy dose of fun-to-drive, freeway-passing torque to go with it (I describe it as "my old car, but with stones (edited)"). I've heard stories about VW reliability, but at 4,100 miles (and a lead-footed average of 40mpg), I have yet to see something go wrong. From the solidity to the materials to the robust powertrain, I find it hard to believe VW is making a profit at this price. It's an excellent car that covers all points of debate favorably.

Favorite Features

Overall value, diesel torque, sport seats, genuine comfort, hatchback versatility, German sense of solidity, Audi-grade materials that are bolted down tightly. And of course, all that fun-to-drive torque combined with hybrid-like mpg.

Suggested Improvements

More storage in the center console, but that's it. If you're an eco-conscious driving enthusiast, and you value your car as a driving tool (rather than an A-to-B political statement), then you can't go wrong. Truly having your cake and eating it too.