40 MPG plus Fun!
By Dan on
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
We drove a Jetta TDI DSG, not bad but no sports car. The Golf feels much stronger getting on the highway and passing. It handles very well, and my other car is a 370Z. I love the 42 mpg on the first tank, 350 miles on the interstate. I drove an Audi A3 5 door diesel 6 speed Quattro S line in Germany, best rental I ever had, not available in the USA, but the Golf TDI is the next best choice. No blind spots for either a 6' or 5'2" driver. My wife loves the transmission. Diesel is a better solution than hybrids for excellent mpg numbers, the Golf TDI is fun, safe, economic and practical transportation
Favorite Features
Diesel economy and performance without the extra weight of hybrid batteries, smooth DSG transmission with paddle shifters, sports-car like handling, better than a Mini considering the economy and maintenance factors. Tranny needs no service until 80K miles, then just clean screen and fresh fluid.
Suggested Improvements
Please VW give us the 4 Motion diesel you keep in Europe, maybe even the diesel A3 Quattro 6 speed S line sport wagon, export it, we will purchase. Leather would be a nice option. Insufficient TDI's in the USA to satisfy demand, export more. Give us a GTI with the diesel and all wheel drive.