2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Golf Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Sort Reviews by

Sweet Little Car
By Bob

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We have put 6k miles on this Golf TDI and find it very well put together. It handles very well in all kinds of weather, I was very pleased how it handled the snow the first night i drove it home. The Sunroof is very quiet when open. We use the car for commuting 160 miles a day, getting 42 MPG . My wife loves to drive it she likes it much better than the 06 Jetta 2.0T and the 03 GTI we had.

Favorite Features

The Bluetooth is a very nice add-on along with the Zeon Lights that adjust with the steering. The Radio is a very user friendly touch screen. The six speed manual is nice and smooth.

Suggested Improvements

They should go back to the key entry on the drivers door so if you leave the sunroof or window open you could close it with the door lock key.....miss that.

Nice Car
By Jeff

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I traded in a '09 Jetta tdi, and '07 Rabbit and bought this '10 Golf tdi and Eos. We have a '09 Jetta tdi Sportwagon. The Golf is very quiet and unbelievable on economy. We have 3500 miles on it and it's best is 54mpg, with an overall average of 48.5mpg, and this is winter here in Wisconsin. Once fully broken-in during the summer we could see close to 60mpg. This is much better than the '09 Sportwagon which is getting at best in the mid 40s, but that is still not fully broken-in. The Golf has plenty of power and great handling for a front wheel drive car.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are the fuel economy, power, comfort, quiet ride and looks. The standard sports suspension is a big plus. The gearing is really tall, (200rpms lower)taller than the '09 Jetta. The instrumentation on the steering wheel is a plus, too. Love the bi-xenon lights, they are super bright.

Suggested Improvements

Making more of them available, I had "ordered" a shark blue one in mid September, but got the first one the dealer was sent. It is black, but got it $500 below MSRP, at a time when other dealers were asking well over MSRP.

Love this car!
By Rino

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I sold my Mazda RX-8 to buy, and I couldn't be happier. I've been wanting to buy a more practical hatchback with better fuel economy but still sporty, and the Golf fits that description exactly. Although not nearly as powerful as my Mazda, it has plenty of acceleration, and I'm having fun trying to get the best mileage. It also has very good handling, again not as good as the Mazda, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is. One other thing, compared to my high-pitched rotary, the diesel sounds very deep, and it's a sound I'm growing to love more and more. Also, definitely go with the manual, although I do hate automatics.

Favorite Features

I love the interior, it feels like quality. The base TDI radio is great. I use the MDI to connect a portable drive for music and SD memory cards. At first I wasn't thrilled about getting bluetooth, but now I use it all the time, it's a useful feature.

Suggested Improvements

Increase the supply! Very few available in the US, especially manual transmission. I drove 1.5 hours to buy mine. Also, add more options, only one interior color! Lastly, I'd want enhanced bluetooth to provide phonebook access (see, you got me hooked).

so much fun
By jtr750

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've owned the vehicle for three weeks. Filled up for the first time at 525 miles at a little under 1/4 tank left and averaged 38mpg. I have a combination of in town and highway miles driven each day. Considering how I drive, I believe this is fantastic! I have owned a 2001 Dodge Diesel truck which I have kept due to reliability and the fact that it is paid for. I plan on keeping this vehicle for 10 years as well. I hope the reliability is as good as my truck. If so, they may be the last vehicles I own. Diesel is the way to go for reliability and fuel economy.

Favorite Features

What can I say? This car is so fun to drive! My 3 year old loves it! Much easier to get out of than the truck and it handles like it is on rails!

Suggested Improvements

For a large guy, ease of access is a necessity. Much different than a truck. I got a lot of hazing from friends who have always known me as a truck guy. Until they take a ride! I've raised a log of eyebrows.

Excellent car, one of the best
By Izzy

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought the TDI and sold a BMW 325 convertible looking for a commuter car. The TDI has delivered more than expected in overall ride, quality, fun, comfort, mileage. It is quiet on the road, perfect for phone meetings with bluetooth. I must admit, I didn't expect the fun part of the car, it is down right quick, not M3 quick, but a blast to drive fast by yourself or slow with Miss Daisy. Simply an amazing piece of engineering, my first VW and I am amazed both as an engineer and high performance driver who occasionally races

Favorite Features

The whole package and how it works together, radio is excellent, easy to operate and connect to ipod or using SD card for music or books

Suggested Improvements

Should come with mudguards, since you will spin the wheels at takeoff

"it is so choice" the sausage king
By MSanfil

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

For starters, the bar started very high coming from a Z but I've been looking forward to this car for quite some time. Being one of only 2 Golf TDIs available in the Northeast and completely lucking out in my timing, I thoroughly enjoy my wildly variable driving conditions for three months now and I highly recommend the TDI! Back and forth and all around NYC from WNY...7000 miles so far and loving almost every minute, this car has far exceeded my expectations, in all driving conditions...especially at $25,000. Sweet lil car Too bad for speed limits, I can't drive 65!! this thing wants to cruise at 80. Ok, maybe that's just me. Fuel economy is 37 combined :( but supposed to jump soon!

Favorite Features

-Tight Sport Suspension but not too stiff -low end torque and ample power just about any time you want it! -beautiful/quiet interior with just enough shimmer and shine to remind me I'm not sitting in a chintzy little econocan -love the wheels and all around look/feel of the mk VI

Suggested Improvements

-slightly more lumbar support -better drainage in the door wells (always a chore after a car wash) - eliminate the little dash rattle -lower the steering wheel just a touch -would have loved a sun roof! - the back window gets dirty very quickly - I could prolly use a racing clutch ;-P -

2010 Golf TDi a joy to drive
By TAV

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

There are 1600 miles on my new Golf and my wife is getting tired of hearing me say "I love my Golf". I look forward to driving the Golf, the comfortable interior, excellent handling and lots of low end grunt make it a joy to motor in. I sold an Infiniti G35 sedan that I owned for five years and bought the Golf. Haven't regretted it at all. Handles almost as well as the G35 and nearly matches it in torque but gets an average of 40 mpg while doing it.

Favorite Features

Nicely done interior and wonderfully supportive seats. Great DSG double clutch transmission. Abundance of torque is useful in daily driving. I've become a believer in TDI power and economy.

Suggested Improvements

A few more horsepower to match the prodigious torque output would make this an ideal car.

great car , diesel or otherwise
By chris Armstrong

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned many european cars over the years.I chose to purchase a 2010 Golf TDI for the fuel economy and price point .To date it has exceeded my expectations.It is an enjoyable drive,great road manners.The cloth seats are very comfortable and supportive.The interior is thoughtfully laid out .TDI's get 40+mpg hwy. and 30+mpg city.A federal tax credit of $1300-$1700 dollars.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy,sport suspension.

Suggested Improvements

None

2010 Golf TDI DSG
By Jimbo

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI in the waning hours of 2009. In my limited time with the car is has exceeded my expectations. I bought this car primarily as a commuter vehicle for its high fuel economy. So far the mileage has been great and its performance has exceeded my expectations. Most other cars that get similar mileage are about as fun as an iPod to drive. The build quality is good and the car feels solid. The mark VI Golf looks like it will be a winner although time will be the judge of that.

Favorite Features

Mileage is great. Handling is great. Turning circle is tight. Easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

The TDI only comes with the dark "Titan Black" interior. The stereo and cars computer is complex. I'm of generation Y and I had to do some reading of the manual to get up to speed

Wow, what a joy to drive
By adstein

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

This car is an amazing blend of efficiency and performance. Fit and finish is fantastic. Handling is superb, like a go cart. The only drawback is that no upgrade options are available for the interior - no leather or color options just black cloth.

Favorite Features

Handling, mpg, quiet ride, supportive seats.

Suggested Improvements

optional interiors, leather, alternate interior colors, fully integrated bluetooth