Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

3300 mile Update
By FCWarrior

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have the cloth standard seat which are very comfortable but several threads are ripping already after only 3300 miles. Incredible. Don't know how this compares to other vehicles but it's a really bad start. I am only 190 lbs and am careful on how I get in and out since I saw this as a potential trouble spot early on. I have yet to take it to the Dealer for the 90 day checkup. If I go even very slowly over neighborhood speed bumps there is a loud metal-on-metal bang as the suspension tops out. The sunroof switch is very counter-intuitive with no obvious detent for 'closed'. So far I get 55 mpg @ 45 mph 43 mpg @55 mph

Very comfortable seats but very questionable quality since the driver's seat is already showing broken threads at 3300 miles. Very good touch screen sound system.

Fix the appalling low throttle surge when cold and the horrendous delay in full throttle take-offs. Better quality seat, put a detent in the sunroof switch

Texas Tornado (Red)
By Kevin

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have about 1,700 miles on my ride. Love going 500+ miles per tank before even thinking about fueling. Avg mileage since purchase is 41.4 mpg although mostly highway. Best leg on a 31 mile one way commute is 46.8! Plenty of power and if more is needed, all I need to do is downshift. I got the cloth seats...car is comfortable, and remarkably quiet. Summer in Texas has been plenty hot, and the A/C cools fast and keeps me comfortable on low fan. Build quality appears to be rock solid, love my VW!

The radio...6 stack CD, mp3 connectivity, Sirius Satellite and soft touch buttons for easy operation. Use blue tooth phone through the stereo all the time. Steering wheel controls are easy, and for good mileage, got to love the cruise control. Manual trans is butter smooth with short throws.

I didn't get navigation so I don't have expanded blue tooth functions such as on screen dialing and no ability to store contacts and select on screen that and HD radio would make audio set up perfect. Braking for such a light car could be better, a little mushy when stepping on it really hard.

Volkswagen makes a profit at this price?
By Kris K

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was driving an '08 HCH, and I couldn't help but think something was missing- any sense of driving excitement. I then test-drove this car, and that was it. I can't believe that I'm achieving the same frugality as my previous car, only with a healthy dose of fun-to-drive, freeway-passing torque to go with it (I describe it as "my old car, but with stones (edited)"). I've heard stories about VW reliability, but at 4,100 miles (and a lead-footed average of 40mpg), I have yet to see something go wrong. From the solidity to the materials to the robust powertrain, I find it hard to believe VW is making a profit at this price. It's an excellent car that covers all points of debate favorably.

Overall value, diesel torque, sport seats, genuine comfort, hatchback versatility, German sense of solidity, Audi-grade materials that are bolted down tightly. And of course, all that fun-to-drive torque combined with hybrid-like mpg.

More storage in the center console, but that's it. If you're an eco-conscious driving enthusiast, and you value your car as a driving tool (rather than an A-to-B political statement), then you can't go wrong. Truly having your cake and eating it too.

If you find hybrids dull and boring
By StrikingViking

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

4-door DSG TDIs are very rare where I live, so I flew from Los Angeles to buy mine in Atlanta. Drove it back across the country, and with a heavy foot, A/C, and 11,000 ft mountain passes, I still averaged 39.5 mpg (knowing full well that diesel mpg improves with age). After 4K miles, nothing has gone wrong. My previous car was an '08 HCH, and my TDI has all the same benefits and more (I describe it as "my old car, but with balls"). The torque makes it genuinely fun to drive, and the solid Germanic-ness (esp. the seats) makes it feel like a luxury car. I too have heard stories about VW reliability, but I have seen zero evidence of them so far. Great car, great value, and no regrets.

Solidity, hatchback practicality, genuinely ample torque that doesn't overwhelm the steering, best seats in its class, compromise of sharp handling and comfortable ride. Even the base stereo is among the best I've heard (and I'm a decently rabid audiophile).

More storage in center console. That's it. If you are eco-conscious and prefer to think of driving as more than an A-to-B political statement, then you really need to consider a Golf TDI. It's a wonderful car, and the very definition of having your cake and eating it too.

Good so far
By paskinel

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I now have 10k miles, trouble free. Excellent handling, great mpg (43avg). There is light noise coming from drivers side door, dealer says they tighten but still there. Be careful where you buy your diesel, make sure it specifies ULTRA-LOW sulfur and stay away from the LOW sulfur fuel. Gas stations can continue to sell LOW sulfur fuel until the end of 2010. Dealer didn't mention that when I purchased the vehicle.

Handles like your on a rail. More power than a hybrid. MPG is great.

I can't think of anything yet.