Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Golf

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Nice car, great mileage, no quality.
By Hercules

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is a nice little car. The interior is very user friendly and the exterior is about as good as you can get with an economy car. Downsides, dealers mark up from MSRP because of tax credit of the TDIs. The build quality seems lacking. Within 3,000 miles it had a small oil leak which turned out to be a faulty crankshaft seal. Also the side marker lamp went out and the dealership (Lewisville VW) claimed something hit it yet the lens was still intact and undamaged. Bought the car for dependable long didtance rides but having serious doubts about it now....

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and user friendly interior.

Suggested Improvements

Trunk release handle is cute but not real functional. Also the cargo area could use some tie-downs and or better cargo netting options.

In a class all it's own.
By Denster2u

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've read many reviews about this car and price keeps coming in to play regarding the market this car competes in. I'd have to say this is a truly premium, upscale compact car with engineering and sophistication unmatched by the likes of the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, and others not worth mentioning. The execution of the VW Golf from top to bottom, including materials and build quality, refinement, comfort, and ride and handling is in a class all it's own. I thinks it's worth every penny extra over it's competitors. This is truly a driving enthusiast's car, with fuel efficiency that rivals many hybrids.

Favorite Features

The tactile feel of everything you touch on this car. Simplicity and functionality of all the controls. Precise steering and taught suspension. Firm supportive seats. Diesel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

Some omissions left me scratching my head, like automatic headlights and an auto-dimming rear view mirror. The biggest annoyance is that the 12-volt accessory outlets power off with the key. Sometimes, I'd like to leave my phone to charge in the car, or power other devices with the car off.

Sadly, it was a lemon
By Fred P.

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought car and at 900 miles it went into "limp mode" where the turbo would not work. Took car to Dealer who replaced MAF sensor despite there were no fault codes at all. At 1200 miles it did it again. Dealership put us in a rental for 3 months as they waited for VW of America to release a computer update that needed EPA approval before applying. After 3 months, we worked with dealership to trade in the Golf TDI for a 2010 Jetta TDI.

Favorite Features

Sporty look and how you use the VW emblem on the hatch to open the hatch.

Suggested Improvements

- VW needs to conduct better field testing of this line of clean desiel vehicles. - The heater control labels are very small and hard to read what setting they are on.

Sporty, Safe & Economical
By CHDriver

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I literally searched the entire US to find a car configured the way I wanted. Found the car after a seven- month search 850-miles away. The local dealership had a sold order but could not get the car. VW factory ordering is a waste of time! It is a fun car to drive. The torque is amazing! The build quality is excellent. Diesel MPG is all that I expected and more. I have the 4-dr TDI with Xenons, sunroof, 6 spd, AM, and some other stuff. Get this car!

Favorite Features

TDI engine, Sporty driving, MPG, Radio' paddle shifting

Suggested Improvements

Needs power/memory seats! Entry/exit. Upgrade to rear mirror. Better/longer warranty and free maintenance.

My first VW!
By dmo

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After searching all the other cars in its class I decided the Golf was in a class of its own. So far I have had the car for a month and a half. I love the styling and drivablility. I have put 4200 miles on it going to work and a long road trip and it has been phenomenal. All driver controls are nice and trip computer was awesome on the road trip. I am getting better mileage than what is average and I drive it like it is supposed to be driven not babying it at all. So far couldn't ask for a better car. The only thing I have added since buying is the adjustable arm rest. I am 6 ft and 230 lbs and the car fits me fine

Favorite Features

Trip computer, comfortable front and back seats, gas mileage, styling, ease of controls, bluetooth, stereo sound quality, very quiet and smooth ride, monster mats, trunk layout and space for size of car

Suggested Improvements

Factory arm rest, controls on steering wheel, leather seats, alloy wheels, better radio