2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Golf is good
By David on 03/12/10 03:48 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Traded a 2003 MB E-320 on a 2010 Prius, and the Prius on this. The MB certified pre-owned warrantee ran out, and I worried about pricey repairs. The Prius was cool, bigger, but was boring to drive, and it felt cheap. The VW retains some of the MB satisfying qualities, in a car I can more afford to buy new, which includes a new car warrantee. It has nice touches, like the MB did, rubberized dashboard covering, nice, precise wheels on the air vents, that click like they're jeweled, when you switch them closed. The motor is very MB-like: torquey, very deep torque band: nice at slow speeds, but plenty of very satisfying room for your foot to go down. Very satisfying, fun, likable car.

Not bad, but the cost-cutting is obvious
By LA Golf Leasee on 02/09/10 19:39 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The good: Exterior styling, particularly in silver is pretty nice and an improvement over the last gen. Performance is ok for the class, but definitely go with a stick. Interior design generally a step above competition, but there is some definite and annoying cost-cutting. The not-so-good: No covered interior storage outside of the glovebox, junky radio with sat option - touchscreen with Sirius only available on TDI, no armrest - seems small, but gets annoying quickly. I got the base Golf only because I couldn't afford a TDI and there are no Mazda dealers close to me to get a 3. With a few upgrades, it could be a great compact, but the skimping makes it better than avg, but not great.

From a Focus to a Golf.......
By Dave H on 01/25/10 09:46 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2010 Golf as a replacement for a 2006 Ford Focus. Going from the little Ford to the Golf is the difference between night and day. More power, better ride, tighter feel on the road - I mean really..... it's a whole different car. I wanted a three door hatchback so that meant either a Yaris, an Accent or the Golf. There is no comparison between the three cars - The Golf is the clear winner even though it costs more and gets less miles per gallon. The VW is just simply a much better value for the money.

Great Car
By Heat on 01/17/10 06:54 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I owned a 2007 Mazda 3 Grand Touring prior to the Golf. I was test driving the new Mazda 2010 5 Door hatch, and I almost bought one until I test drove the golf. Well the Golf beats the Mazda 3 hands down. The build quality of the Golf is absolutely better. The interior nothing but pure quality and design. The 170hp 5 cylinder is very powerful, more powerful than the new Mazda 3's 2.5. If your considering a Mazda3, test drive a Golf. You will be quite surprised.

overall an excellent car
By leuparaleu on 12/13/09 18:28 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my little car; but a few things still have to be improved. The seaters and the stearing wheel have a limited adjustment. The radio loose some time the reception and the arm rest is a too inefficient. The outside mirror adjustment is inconvenient to use

Outstanding Value/Performance in Class
By Professor on 11/18/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I would disagree with the first reviewer's comments on how quiet the little car is. One of the things I enjoy most about driving the stout and zippy little car is hearing the 5cyl, 2.5L, 270hp engine wind up as I'm manually shifting through the gears. Gone are the days of anemic VW base- model engines; this engine is more than ample. From my research, it's only approx. 1 second slower 0-60mph than the 200hp GTI. What I like about the base model Golf is that it gets its power honestly, via a naturally- aspirated engine (no turbos needed). The ergos and handling are very similar between my Golf and the 2010 GTI I test drove. Being able to run 87 octane instead of premium is a plus too!

2010 Golf
By Ricky on 10/23/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The car is great. I picked it up for under 20,000 OTD and my dealership threw in rims, tint, and floor mats (couldn't drive off the lot with hubcaps). Bottom line is my car is getting around 27MPG with a lot of my driving being in the city. I have less than 1k miles so the car run as expected, perfectly. The new VW carefree maintenance program is great, covers all scheduled maintenance including oil changes until 3yrs/36k mi. Compared to other economy cars it is far beyond anything in its price range. All of the little things and build quality made the 2010 GOLF the clear choice for me, instrument panel, interior build, seats are great all & its half the price to insure (compared to civic)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback in VA is:

$134 per month*