2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Surprisingly good car
By FCWarrior on 06/20/10 14:43 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Better seats than my 04 Audi S4 Recaro seats and more than double the mpg! Handles very nicely and is surprisingly quiet down the road. Part throttle surging, especially when cold is diabolical and should have a factory fix. The lag on full throttle take-offs is ridiculous too. Factory touch screen radio sounds amazingly good and the Xenon lights are a real safety boon. Averaging 38-42 mpg with a light foot:} Very impressive.

Glad I bought this car
By RyRo on 06/06/10 21:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Owned for one week. Solid car gets crazy good mileage. Like the option set for the price. Also got the eco credit. big score. Nice interior. Fun to drive car. not a dog by any means.

$11,000 rolling time bomb
By jammicpia on 06/01/10 11:43 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Welcome to my nightmare. Vehicle: 2010 Golf TDI, DSG Mileage: less than 5,000 Ownership: four months The initial symptoms: humming sound from the engine, flashing glow plug light, and reduced power. Dealer diagnosis: Destroyed fuel system due to contaminated diesel fuel. The upshot: $11,000 damage NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY. Massachusetts Division of Standards show no other reports of problems from the 4 stations where I had fueled my car. Would not have bought the TDI if I'd know that there was a chance, even a remote one, that during the warranty period and operating the vehicle according to instructions I might incur $11,000 damage that is not covered by the warranty.

As good as an Audi
By Guide Dog on 05/30/10 21:23 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Wonderful car. My wife's second Golf Diesel, and one of the best cars we have owned. She takes Guide Dogs in Training everywhere and the extra large crate fits easily when needed. Very comfortable and quiet. We get 60mpg when cruising on the highway. Very difficult to tell its a diesel. Quiet, peppy and almost no smell, even when cold. I think the quality is as good as my own 2007 Audi A4 Avant, just without the wood. The way in which the switches and instruments are lit at night, along with the red night lights, is superb.

2010 Golf TDI 4-dr
By Cincwoody on 05/30/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We sold our 2001 Golf TDI last fall when we moved to Europe, and opted to buy a 2010 Golf TDI this spring. It truly is an amazing car that delivers comfort, autobahn speed and efficiency in a very nice, well built package. The Edmunds.com review is spot-on in its evaluations. With only 2000 miles on the odometer our Golf VI TDI is getting 35+ mpg in mostly urban driving, and 40-45 mpg in highway driving at European speeds between 75 and 100 mph. Our Golf is a four door with the DSG manual-automatic transmission and the heating package and Bluetooth. Tons more fun to drive than a hybrid with comparable fuel economy. Superb car!

Best Car I've ever owned
By perkins77 on 04/17/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I recently bought a 4 door TDI and it's the best car I've ever owned (8 other vehicles). The handling is nimble and responsive, and there is plenty of power. The immediate stomp on the accelerator from a dead stop is not as quick as a gti or bmw e46, but it's very good for a diesel and for what you pay for. The mileage is awesome and the ride is smooth. There aren't too many extras, but they are key ones: bluetooth, paddle shift, sport mode, sunroof. I'm 6'6" and have tons and tons of room in the front. Cold weather package is great.

40 MPG plus Fun!
By Dan on 04/17/10 06:47 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We drove a Jetta TDI DSG, not bad but no sports car. The Golf feels much stronger getting on the highway and passing. It handles very well, and my other car is a 370Z. I love the 42 mpg on the first tank, 350 miles on the interstate. I drove an Audi A3 5 door diesel 6 speed Quattro S line in Germany, best rental I ever had, not available in the USA, but the Golf TDI is the next best choice. No blind spots for either a 6' or 5'2" driver. My wife loves the transmission. Diesel is a better solution than hybrids for excellent mpg numbers, the Golf TDI is fun, safe, economic and practical transportation

1300 miles so far
By Fred on 04/12/10 09:23 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Sold 04 Jetta TDI for this. Fun to drive by keeping acceleration in peak torque range around 2500 rpm. Xenon headlights are well worth the $750 upgrade price. Fog lamps automatically light up when turning to assist headlights in sharp turns. EGR valve went out at 750 miles; part should have lasted till 100k easily. One annoying thing is occasional acceleration lag; give a little throttle to move car up some, then maybe 3/4 throttle to jump in traffic and car "stumbles" before turbo spins up enough to boost. Happens not often but enough to be annoying. Common on 3 TDIs I've owned. Hair raising in busy cross traffic. Dunno how VW has not had a class action lawsuit. Fun car nevertheless.

2010 Golf TDI
By Steve on 04/10/10 19:15 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

One of the best cars out there for the money, the performance, the gas mileage is great I'm getting 38.5 mpg around town the and the interior is top notch. Anybody out there looking for a car with great styling, an excellent interior, and has awesome performance while getting great gas mileage should give this car a try you cant go wrong.

Fuel Tank Swooshing Sound
By Marco on 04/02/10 23:54 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Enjoy everything about this car except quality problems. Car door was misaligned when purchased and Fuel tank makes a swooshing sound, when one comes to a stop. Dealer says potential baffles defect and/or other?????

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in VA is:

$106 per month*