2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
VW beat 'em out
By VW on 08/04/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well after searching for 2 months and driving Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki, the VW Golf made it number one. It was the funnest to drive and had the best ride from my perspective. With traveling almost 90 miles a day, I was looking for Blue Tooth, Cruise and smooth ride. The Mazda was definitely very close and the Toyota was there too (too many recalls). The steering is pretty good. There is some road noise but you hardly feel the bumps. Also there is some hesitation however when in sport with the 6-spd tiptronic you hardly notice it. I drove the Jetta as well, but the ride from my perspective was better in the Golf. Great car. The 2 door was exceptional also.

Never Look Back
By mrtoad on 08/01/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've driven this car for five full months now and it has performed beyond my expectations. Around the neighborhood or across the state, wonderful! I initially thought the seats too firm. Negative. I've got a bad back and for the first time in years, I can make a six hour drive and still walk standing straight-up. Performance is excellent for 170 HP motor and the build quality far exceeds the Asian rivals. The quiet on the highway is almost eerie. It is quite amazing how much gear you can store in the cargo area WITHOUT laying the seat-backs down. All of this and the Golf comes with a functional rear seat, 26 mpg in town and 35 on the highway. Such a deal!

3300 mile Update
By FCWarrior on 07/31/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have the cloth standard seat which are very comfortable but several threads are ripping already after only 3300 miles. Incredible. Don't know how this compares to other vehicles but it's a really bad start. I am only 190 lbs and am careful on how I get in and out since I saw this as a potential trouble spot early on. I have yet to take it to the Dealer for the 90 day checkup. If I go even very slowly over neighborhood speed bumps there is a loud metal-on-metal bang as the suspension tops out. The sunroof switch is very counter-intuitive with no obvious detent for 'closed'. So far I get 55 mpg @ 45 mph 43 mpg @55 mph

Texas Tornado (Red)
By Kevin on 07/29/10 15:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have about 1,700 miles on my ride. Love going 500+ miles per tank before even thinking about fueling. Avg mileage since purchase is 41.4 mpg although mostly highway. Best leg on a 31 mile one way commute is 46.8! Plenty of power and if more is needed, all I need to do is downshift. I got the cloth seats...car is comfortable, and remarkably quiet. Summer in Texas has been plenty hot, and the A/C cools fast and keeps me comfortable on low fan. Build quality appears to be rock solid, love my VW!

Volkswagen makes a profit at this price?
By Kris K on 07/27/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was driving an '08 HCH, and I couldn't help but think something was missing- any sense of driving excitement. I then test-drove this car, and that was it. I can't believe that I'm achieving the same frugality as my previous car, only with a healthy dose of fun-to-drive, freeway-passing torque to go with it (I describe it as "my old car, but with stones (edited)"). I've heard stories about VW reliability, but at 4,100 miles (and a lead-footed average of 40mpg), I have yet to see something go wrong. From the solidity to the materials to the robust powertrain, I find it hard to believe VW is making a profit at this price. It's an excellent car that covers all points of debate favorably.

2010 golf
By johnmck on 07/25/10 09:31 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The interior is nice, but with a gap in the center console.The engine has good torque, but runs out of steam on the top end.The ride is firm, but there is body lean. This car starts to feel a little "floaty" at higher speeds on the highway (above 85). There was some initial quality issues. Shifting is better than some, but not as nice as my 2000 celica, which I do miss more than I thought I would since buying the Golf. I do like this car though, and I thought it was nicer than the civic or the tc I test drove. In closing I feel the need to be critical about the throttle by wire. It lacks any real feel.It seems like it could be calibrated much better.

A Great Little 4-Door Hatchback
By Car Enthusiast on 07/20/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought it as a surprise BD present for wife to replace her 03 CR-V. Dealer gave me $3k off the msrp! I did some research before I bought. But took the car on the 1st test drive because the deal they offered me was too good to resist. The quality is the best in its class. Fronts seats are very huggy and supportive. We get about 23 city and 32 hwy. I am somewhat disappointed at the power from 170 hp motor. Test drove the new Camry with 2.5L motor seemed a lot more peppier. To take off from stop in D, there is a hesitation. I thought it starts in 2nd but when I put it to M it does show 1st. However, if you take off in S mode, the car seems to be much more peppier with better throttle response.

If you find hybrids dull and boring
By StrikingViking on 07/19/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

4-door DSG TDIs are very rare where I live, so I flew from Los Angeles to buy mine in Atlanta. Drove it back across the country, and with a heavy foot, A/C, and 11,000 ft mountain passes, I still averaged 39.5 mpg (knowing full well that diesel mpg improves with age). After 4K miles, nothing has gone wrong. My previous car was an '08 HCH, and my TDI has all the same benefits and more (I describe it as "my old car, but with balls"). The torque makes it genuinely fun to drive, and the solid Germanic-ness (esp. the seats) makes it feel like a luxury car. I too have heard stories about VW reliability, but I have seen zero evidence of them so far. Great car, great value, and no regrets.

Good so far
By paskinel on 07/17/10 07:04 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I now have 10k miles, trouble free. Excellent handling, great mpg (43avg). There is light noise coming from drivers side door, dealer says they tighten but still there. Be careful where you buy your diesel, make sure it specifies ULTRA-LOW sulfur and stay away from the LOW sulfur fuel. Gas stations can continue to sell LOW sulfur fuel until the end of 2010. Dealer didn't mention that when I purchased the vehicle.

Great car!
By Jackie on 07/13/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far I love my car! I bought this after driving a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser to 330,000 miles, but needed a more fuel efficient car for my commute @ 90 miles/day. This has been a great little car, I average 50.5mpg per 15 gal tank - highway and city driving combined. It has a decent amount of pick up and go and it's a TON of fun to drive! The only real complaint I have is that it isn't completely sealed and it whistles > 45 mph, it doesn't leak water,just bothersome. The seats fold pretty flat and the cargo area can hold ~3 large bales of hay + 3 bags of feed with room to spare and the back seats are pretty comfortable even for people over 6'. I'd buy another for sure!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf in VA is:

$134 per month*