20,000 mile update
By fcwarrior on
2010 Volkswagen Golf TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I have been generally amazed at how much I like my Golf TDI. I came from an Audi S4 so less power is very obvious but the diesel torque curve is so good this car is really enjoyable up in the Rockies. MPG is about 36-38 in winter and 38-40 in summer. Longer trips will average 41-44 but I have seen 52 mpg on a 120 mile freeway trip and 5-8 mpg on a really cold morning commute:} I think the Fuel Injection and Engine Management electronics are very rudimentary and you can feel it compensating all the time for hills and other situations. Turbo lag is nothing like as bad as in a Mini but is still very noticeable. Putting it in Sport certainly helps but then mpg plummets.
Favorite Features
The seats especially the driver's are amazingly comfortable and much better than the Recaros in my Audi. However the quality of the cloth seat covers is extraordinarily low quality and had to be replaced at the 10,000 mile service and is now looking quite threadbare now too. Incredible in this day and age and the Dealer says so far it cannot do anything about it again. I only weigh 190lbs too. I would definitely ask your Salesperson about it........this is why I gave it a 1 for build quality. The radio is very good and I didn't get the upgraded one.
Suggested Improvements
Obviously change the seat cloth to one that lasts longer than a few thousand miles Upgrade the Engine Controls