2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Nice car, great mileage, no quality.
By Hercules on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is a nice little car. The interior is very user friendly and the exterior is about as good as you can get with an economy car. Downsides, dealers mark up from MSRP because of tax credit of the TDIs. The build quality seems lacking. Within 3,000 miles it had a small oil leak which turned out to be a faulty crankshaft seal. Also the side marker lamp went out and the dealership (Lewisville VW) claimed something hit it yet the lens was still intact and undamaged. Bought the car for dependable long didtance rides but having serious doubts about it now....

In a class all it's own.
By Denster2u on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I've read many reviews about this car and price keeps coming in to play regarding the market this car competes in. I'd have to say this is a truly premium, upscale compact car with engineering and sophistication unmatched by the likes of the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, and others not worth mentioning. The execution of the VW Golf from top to bottom, including materials and build quality, refinement, comfort, and ride and handling is in a class all it's own. I thinks it's worth every penny extra over it's competitors. This is truly a driving enthusiast's car, with fuel efficiency that rivals many hybrids.

Sadly, it was a lemon
By Fred P. on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Bought car and at 900 miles it went into "limp mode" where the turbo would not work. Took car to Dealer who replaced MAF sensor despite there were no fault codes at all. At 1200 miles it did it again. Dealership put us in a rental for 3 months as they waited for VW of America to release a computer update that needed EPA approval before applying. After 3 months, we worked with dealership to trade in the Golf TDI for a 2010 Jetta TDI.

Sporty, Safe & Economical
By CHDriver on 08/23/10 12:09 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I literally searched the entire US to find a car configured the way I wanted. Found the car after a seven- month search 850-miles away. The local dealership had a sold order but could not get the car. VW factory ordering is a waste of time! It is a fun car to drive. The torque is amazing! The build quality is excellent. Diesel MPG is all that I expected and more. I have the 4-dr TDI with Xenons, sunroof, 6 spd, AM, and some other stuff. Get this car!

3300 mile Update
By FCWarrior on 07/31/10 20:22 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have the cloth standard seat which are very comfortable but several threads are ripping already after only 3300 miles. Incredible. Don't know how this compares to other vehicles but it's a really bad start. I am only 190 lbs and am careful on how I get in and out since I saw this as a potential trouble spot early on. I have yet to take it to the Dealer for the 90 day checkup. If I go even very slowly over neighborhood speed bumps there is a loud metal-on-metal bang as the suspension tops out. The sunroof switch is very counter-intuitive with no obvious detent for 'closed'. So far I get 55 mpg @ 45 mph 43 mpg @55 mph

Texas Tornado (Red)
By Kevin on 07/29/10 15:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Have about 1,700 miles on my ride. Love going 500+ miles per tank before even thinking about fueling. Avg mileage since purchase is 41.4 mpg although mostly highway. Best leg on a 31 mile one way commute is 46.8! Plenty of power and if more is needed, all I need to do is downshift. I got the cloth seats...car is comfortable, and remarkably quiet. Summer in Texas has been plenty hot, and the A/C cools fast and keeps me comfortable on low fan. Build quality appears to be rock solid, love my VW!

Volkswagen makes a profit at this price?
By Kris K on 07/27/10 12:42 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was driving an '08 HCH, and I couldn't help but think something was missing- any sense of driving excitement. I then test-drove this car, and that was it. I can't believe that I'm achieving the same frugality as my previous car, only with a healthy dose of fun-to-drive, freeway-passing torque to go with it (I describe it as "my old car, but with stones (edited)"). I've heard stories about VW reliability, but at 4,100 miles (and a lead-footed average of 40mpg), I have yet to see something go wrong. From the solidity to the materials to the robust powertrain, I find it hard to believe VW is making a profit at this price. It's an excellent car that covers all points of debate favorably.

If you find hybrids dull and boring
By StrikingViking on 07/19/10 13:29 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

4-door DSG TDIs are very rare where I live, so I flew from Los Angeles to buy mine in Atlanta. Drove it back across the country, and with a heavy foot, A/C, and 11,000 ft mountain passes, I still averaged 39.5 mpg (knowing full well that diesel mpg improves with age). After 4K miles, nothing has gone wrong. My previous car was an '08 HCH, and my TDI has all the same benefits and more (I describe it as "my old car, but with balls"). The torque makes it genuinely fun to drive, and the solid Germanic-ness (esp. the seats) makes it feel like a luxury car. I too have heard stories about VW reliability, but I have seen zero evidence of them so far. Great car, great value, and no regrets.

Good so far
By paskinel on 07/17/10 07:04 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I now have 10k miles, trouble free. Excellent handling, great mpg (43avg). There is light noise coming from drivers side door, dealer says they tighten but still there. Be careful where you buy your diesel, make sure it specifies ULTRA-LOW sulfur and stay away from the LOW sulfur fuel. Gas stations can continue to sell LOW sulfur fuel until the end of 2010. Dealer didn't mention that when I purchased the vehicle.

Great car!
By Jackie on 07/13/10 09:14 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

So far I love my car! I bought this after driving a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser to 330,000 miles, but needed a more fuel efficient car for my commute @ 90 miles/day. This has been a great little car, I average 50.5mpg per 15 gal tank - highway and city driving combined. It has a decent amount of pick up and go and it's a TON of fun to drive! The only real complaint I have is that it isn't completely sealed and it whistles > 45 mph, it doesn't leak water,just bothersome. The seats fold pretty flat and the cargo area can hold ~3 large bales of hay + 3 bags of feed with room to spare and the back seats are pretty comfortable even for people over 6'. I'd buy another for sure!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Diesel in NJ is:

$199 per month*