2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Fast, frugal and fun!!!
By jbartuski on 03/27/13 13:48 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought early December 2012. Had only 27k on the odometer. Mine is a silver 5-speed 2.5L... base everything... only option is the Cold Weather package. So far I absolutely love this thing. It's sharp looking without being too flashy or attracting unwanted attention. Sub 8 second 0-60 times... and a huge grin every time you take a corner. Tiny outside but will swallow giant items. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and economical at the gas pump. No problems to report after 5,000 miles with the car itself. El cheapo standard equipment Conti tires are garbage, and will soon be replaced. They do not hold air in cold weather.

I love my new VW!
By Sarah on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My dad's first car was a 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI that he still drives and it still runs great, so I knew exactly what I wanted when I was looking for my first car (GTI was my first choice, but a little pricey :/). First time manual driver, but the car is so forgiving and so fun once I figured it out. I test drove the Fit, Fiesta, Sonata, Focus, Nissan Versa, and Fusion. No other car in this price range even came close. You just can't beat the styling and drive of a German car. Has tons of room for the rear seats, drives solidly and quietly at 80+ on the highway, and also is really maneuverable in city traffic. I'm getting about 33 mpg driving on highways about 70% of the time.

2010 golf
By johnmck on 07/25/10 09:31 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The interior is nice, but with a gap in the center console.The engine has good torque, but runs out of steam on the top end.The ride is firm, but there is body lean. This car starts to feel a little "floaty" at higher speeds on the highway (above 85). There was some initial quality issues. Shifting is better than some, but not as nice as my 2000 celica, which I do miss more than I thought I would since buying the Golf. I do like this car though, and I thought it was nicer than the civic or the tc I test drove. In closing I feel the need to be critical about the throttle by wire. It lacks any real feel.It seems like it could be calibrated much better.

A Solid Little Car
By Joe on 03/12/10 09:30 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I'm surprised by the smooth ride and the low end torque.The gas mileage is alot better than my 2008 Mazda 3 and absords bumps better and the engine is quiet. It handles great as it corners nice and the steering is tight. The cabin is topshelf like a cockpit with nevery thing in you line of sight. I tried the Civic and my Golf rides so much smoother and the Mazda was bad, too much road an engine noise.

From a Focus to a Golf.......
By Dave H on 01/25/10 09:46 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2010 Golf as a replacement for a 2006 Ford Focus. Going from the little Ford to the Golf is the difference between night and day. More power, better ride, tighter feel on the road - I mean really..... it's a whole different car. I wanted a three door hatchback so that meant either a Yaris, an Accent or the Golf. There is no comparison between the three cars - The Golf is the clear winner even though it costs more and gets less miles per gallon. The VW is just simply a much better value for the money.

Outstanding Value/Performance in Class
By Professor on 11/18/09 13:48 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I would disagree with the first reviewer's comments on how quiet the little car is. One of the things I enjoy most about driving the stout and zippy little car is hearing the 5cyl, 2.5L, 270hp engine wind up as I'm manually shifting through the gears. Gone are the days of anemic VW base- model engines; this engine is more than ample. From my research, it's only approx. 1 second slower 0-60mph than the 200hp GTI. What I like about the base model Golf is that it gets its power honestly, via a naturally- aspirated engine (no turbos needed). The ergos and handling are very similar between my Golf and the 2010 GTI I test drove. Being able to run 87 octane instead of premium is a plus too!

2010 Golf
By Ricky on 10/23/09 15:07 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The car is great. I picked it up for under 20,000 OTD and my dealership threw in rims, tint, and floor mats (couldn't drive off the lot with hubcaps). Bottom line is my car is getting around 27MPG with a lot of my driving being in the city. I have less than 1k miles so the car run as expected, perfectly. The new VW carefree maintenance program is great, covers all scheduled maintenance including oil changes until 3yrs/36k mi. Compared to other economy cars it is far beyond anything in its price range. All of the little things and build quality made the 2010 GOLF the clear choice for me, instrument panel, interior build, seats are great all & its half the price to insure (compared to civic)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback in VA is:

$134 per month*