2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Must drive!
By astropsychic on 07/11/14 17:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have the 2010 2.5L 3-door gas version and it is excellent. It is very practical, spacious, and fast. I got mine used for 6,500 less with no mechanical defects whatsoever. Even with only 3 doors, there is still plenty of space in the back for passengers. It does come standard with heated seats, AC, electric door mirrors, electric windows, two 12v charging slots, and an AUX IN port for your music playing device. The radio is very good and weather resistant. Build quality is very good. Nothing feels cheap or out of place. Even though mine has only 170 horsepower, it can still overtake pretty much anyone and anything on the road. Acceleration is very quick and the noise isn't too loud.

Fast, frugal and fun!!!
By jbartuski on 03/27/13 13:48 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought early December 2012. Had only 27k on the odometer. Mine is a silver 5-speed 2.5L... base everything... only option is the Cold Weather package. So far I absolutely love this thing. It's sharp looking without being too flashy or attracting unwanted attention. Sub 8 second 0-60 times... and a huge grin every time you take a corner. Tiny outside but will swallow giant items. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and economical at the gas pump. No problems to report after 5,000 miles with the car itself. El cheapo standard equipment Conti tires are garbage, and will soon be replaced. They do not hold air in cold weather.

Far and away the best in class
By vwgolf420 on 02/28/11 22:05 PM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my third VW. I traded a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, which was a competent car, but having had a 1969 Beetle and a 1997 Jetta before, I felt called back into the VW fold, so to speak. The only car in the class that comes close to offering the same lively character in driving is the Mazda 3, but it lacks the refinement in ride quality. Having had an 03 Mazda Pr5 and the aforementioned Hyundai in between VWs, it's odd seeing that the revs are so low as I'm driving. The ummph comes in low. I'm seeing 25/26 in the city and 31/32 on the highway. Build quality appears impeccable and the material quality is on par with MB, BMW, and, most obviously, Audis in which I've ridden or driven.

Great Car
By M.A. on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the car back in July,2010 and love it. It is my very first car and I was deciding between the VW, Honda Civic, Nissan Spectra, and a KIA. I decided to go with VW because of the excellent fuel economy, german engineering, and quality that VW puts into their vehicles. I drive all highway and put approximately 700km/week. Already I have put on 13,000km in 5 months. Car is super quiet. I bought the higher edition with sunroof, touch radio, fog lights, etc.

I love my new VW!
By Sarah on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My dad's first car was a 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI that he still drives and it still runs great, so I knew exactly what I wanted when I was looking for my first car (GTI was my first choice, but a little pricey :/). First time manual driver, but the car is so forgiving and so fun once I figured it out. I test drove the Fit, Fiesta, Sonata, Focus, Nissan Versa, and Fusion. No other car in this price range even came close. You just can't beat the styling and drive of a German car. Has tons of room for the rear seats, drives solidly and quietly at 80+ on the highway, and also is really maneuverable in city traffic. I'm getting about 33 mpg driving on highways about 70% of the time.

My first VW!
By dmo on 08/18/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

After searching all the other cars in its class I decided the Golf was in a class of its own. So far I have had the car for a month and a half. I love the styling and drivablility. I have put 4200 miles on it going to work and a long road trip and it has been phenomenal. All driver controls are nice and trip computer was awesome on the road trip. I am getting better mileage than what is average and I drive it like it is supposed to be driven not babying it at all. So far couldn't ask for a better car. The only thing I have added since buying is the adjustable arm rest. I am 6 ft and 230 lbs and the car fits me fine

VW beat 'em out
By VW on 08/04/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Well after searching for 2 months and driving Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Kia, Nissan, Subaru and Suzuki, the VW Golf made it number one. It was the funnest to drive and had the best ride from my perspective. With traveling almost 90 miles a day, I was looking for Blue Tooth, Cruise and smooth ride. The Mazda was definitely very close and the Toyota was there too (too many recalls). The steering is pretty good. There is some road noise but you hardly feel the bumps. Also there is some hesitation however when in sport with the 6-spd tiptronic you hardly notice it. I drove the Jetta as well, but the ride from my perspective was better in the Golf. Great car. The 2 door was exceptional also.

Never Look Back
By mrtoad on 08/01/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've driven this car for five full months now and it has performed beyond my expectations. Around the neighborhood or across the state, wonderful! I initially thought the seats too firm. Negative. I've got a bad back and for the first time in years, I can make a six hour drive and still walk standing straight-up. Performance is excellent for 170 HP motor and the build quality far exceeds the Asian rivals. The quiet on the highway is almost eerie. It is quite amazing how much gear you can store in the cargo area WITHOUT laying the seat-backs down. All of this and the Golf comes with a functional rear seat, 26 mpg in town and 35 on the highway. Such a deal!

2010 golf
By johnmck on 07/25/10 09:31 AM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The interior is nice, but with a gap in the center console.The engine has good torque, but runs out of steam on the top end.The ride is firm, but there is body lean. This car starts to feel a little "floaty" at higher speeds on the highway (above 85). There was some initial quality issues. Shifting is better than some, but not as nice as my 2000 celica, which I do miss more than I thought I would since buying the Golf. I do like this car though, and I thought it was nicer than the civic or the tc I test drove. In closing I feel the need to be critical about the throttle by wire. It lacks any real feel.It seems like it could be calibrated much better.

A Great Little 4-Door Hatchback
By Car Enthusiast on 07/20/10 22:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Bought it as a surprise BD present for wife to replace her 03 CR-V. Dealer gave me $3k off the msrp! I did some research before I bought. But took the car on the 1st test drive because the deal they offered me was too good to resist. The quality is the best in its class. Fronts seats are very huggy and supportive. We get about 23 city and 32 hwy. I am somewhat disappointed at the power from 170 hp motor. Test drove the new Camry with 2.5L motor seemed a lot more peppier. To take off from stop in D, there is a hesitation. I thought it starts in 2nd but when I put it to M it does show 1st. However, if you take off in S mode, the car seems to be much more peppier with better throttle response.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback in VA is:

$134 per month*