Used 2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Golf - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Must drive!
By astropsychic

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have the 2010 2.5L 3-door gas version and it is excellent. It is very practical, spacious, and fast. I got mine used for 6,500 less with no mechanical defects whatsoever. Even with only 3 doors, there is still plenty of space in the back for passengers. It does come standard with heated seats, AC, electric door mirrors, electric windows, two 12v charging slots, and an AUX IN port for your music playing device. The radio is very good and weather resistant. Build quality is very good. Nothing feels cheap or out of place. Even though mine has only 170 horsepower, it can still overtake pretty much anyone and anything on the road. Acceleration is very quick and the noise isn't too loud.

Favorite Features

-Performance (especially in S gear) -30+ MPG (depending on how you drive) -Heated seats -Comfortable ride -Radio -Spacious trunk for groceries and things -Very cool AC system

Suggested Improvements

-Key doesn't open passenger door within two presses. Often have to press it more than once. -Trunk release isn't immediate nor does it always unlock when the rest of car is. -Onboard computer interferes too much in "manual" mode. Very arbitrary and erratic.

Fast, frugal and fun!!!
By jbartuski

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Bought early December 2012. Had only 27k on the odometer. Mine is a silver 5-speed 2.5L... base everything... only option is the Cold Weather package. So far I absolutely love this thing. It's sharp looking without being too flashy or attracting unwanted attention. Sub 8 second 0-60 times... and a huge grin every time you take a corner. Tiny outside but will swallow giant items. It's very safe, cheap to insure, and economical at the gas pump. No problems to report after 5,000 miles with the car itself. El cheapo standard equipment Conti tires are garbage, and will soon be replaced. They do not hold air in cold weather.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The MK6 is beautiful in person, substantially more than the MK5s. I'm 6'2" and lanky... and the Golf fits like a glove. Fun, fast, and economical vehicle!!! The seats are incredible - the fabric holds you in place during spirited driving, and no fatigue even after hours behind the wheel. Butt warmers are essential for MN winters !!! Stereo sounds great... even with the base head unit that was phased out in 2011. 2.5L motor is a great balance of economy, reliability, and performance. Mk6 is your last chance for a true, Wolfsburg-made Golf.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat access. The 4-door should be available with a manual transmission without spending another $5-10k on a TDI or GTI. VWofA is penalizing stick shift drivers with that model lineup move... which is one of their strongest niche markets. Better OEM tires. Upgrade base stereo - VW did this in 2011. Fuel economy could be better... the MK7's turbo 2.0L will fix this, but at what reliability cost? Ummm... put the lame-duck new Jetta back on the awesome Golf chassis??? =]

Far and away the best in class
By vwgolf420

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my third VW. I traded a 2005 Hyundai Elantra, which was a competent car, but having had a 1969 Beetle and a 1997 Jetta before, I felt called back into the VW fold, so to speak. The only car in the class that comes close to offering the same lively character in driving is the Mazda 3, but it lacks the refinement in ride quality. Having had an 03 Mazda Pr5 and the aforementioned Hyundai in between VWs, it's odd seeing that the revs are so low as I'm driving. The ummph comes in low. I'm seeing 25/26 in the city and 31/32 on the highway. Build quality appears impeccable and the material quality is on par with MB, BMW, and, most obviously, Audis in which I've ridden or driven.

Favorite Features

long list... That solid German feel, handling, ride quality, braking, fit & finish, the dash computer, seats are amazingly comfortable, good gas mileage (my first car with more than 4 cylinders), manuverability. I've always loved the Golf for it's quirky looks, but the MkVI is downright handsome.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest.

Great Car
By M.A.

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased the car back in July,2010 and love it. It is my very first car and I was deciding between the VW, Honda Civic, Nissan Spectra, and a KIA. I decided to go with VW because of the excellent fuel economy, german engineering, and quality that VW puts into their vehicles. I drive all highway and put approximately 700km/week. Already I have put on 13,000km in 5 months. Car is super quiet. I bought the higher edition with sunroof, touch radio, fog lights, etc.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, I fill up when I get to half a tank of gas, which is between 400-460km, depending on traffic.

Suggested Improvements

It appears there is a design flaw in the driver door. It never seems like it is closed (but it is of course). You just hear the wind from the outside at times. I haven't contacted the dealer yet.

I love my new VW!
By Sarah

2010 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My dad's first car was a 1983 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI that he still drives and it still runs great, so I knew exactly what I wanted when I was looking for my first car (GTI was my first choice, but a little pricey :/). First time manual driver, but the car is so forgiving and so fun once I figured it out. I test drove the Fit, Fiesta, Sonata, Focus, Nissan Versa, and Fusion. No other car in this price range even came close. You just can't beat the styling and drive of a German car. Has tons of room for the rear seats, drives solidly and quietly at 80+ on the highway, and also is really maneuverable in city traffic. I'm getting about 33 mpg driving on highways about 70% of the time.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, Bluetooth, lane change signals, manual transmission (the manuals on comparable cars weren't great), styling of the car both inside and out, and lots of room for such a small-looking car. It's a car that I know I'll have for a long long time and it'll still look great 20 years from now.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a little on the low side for comparable vehicles. One bigger cupholder in the front would be nice, since I have to reach around to put my coffee in the rear center cupholder. The option of alloy wheels on the 2.5L would be nice.